Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Not hitting target boost and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not hitting target boost and rough idle

So about a month or so ago I’ve been in the process of getting an e-tune by Chet Rickerman but it seems that I am not able to hit target boost, the most I can seem to hit is about 25psi and nothing over that. Initially, Chet figured that it was probably a boost leak but after multiple boost leak tests and clamps changed, I am quite certain that there are no leaks. I’ve also had a problem with rough idle and I’m thinking that maybe both of these things are the result of the same problem. My rpms will randomly drop during idle and the car will almost completely bog out, I’ve also noticed that I’m idling a bit leaner than I should be and at a very inconsistent rate, it jumps anywhere from 14.3 to high fifteens but most often stays in the high 14s. I will also list my mods if that helps. ETS intake, grimmspeed ecbs, tial BOV, aftermarket downpipe, test pipe and Megan catback exhaust.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 07:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Do you have the shield on your ETS intake?

- Robert
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Apr 10, 2019)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
It won't fix all those problems, but have you tried the stocker BOV?
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Apr 10, 2019)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Devinv1337
So about a month or so ago I’ve been in the process of getting an e-tune by Chet Rickerman but it seems that I am not able to hit target boost, the most I can seem to hit is about 25psi and nothing over that. Initially, Chet figured that it was probably a boost leak but after multiple boost leak tests and clamps changed, I am quite certain that there are no leaks. I’ve also had a problem with rough idle and I’m thinking that maybe both of these things are the result of the same problem. My rpms will randomly drop during idle and the car will almost completely bog out, I’ve also noticed that I’m idling a bit leaner than I should be and at a very inconsistent rate, it jumps anywhere from 14.3 to high fifteens but most often stays in the high 14s. I will also list my mods if that helps. ETS intake, grimmspeed ecbs, tial BOV, aftermarket downpipe, test pipe and Megan catback exhaust.
The idle issues sound like you are missing the intake heat shield.
How were you testing for the boost leak? A leak that only pops up when you reach 25psi is going to be tricky to catch.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Metal_AF
The idle issues sound like you are missing the intake heat shield.
How were you testing for the boost leak? A leak that only pops up when you reach 25psi is going to be tricky to catch.
I made one of those boost like tester things that attach to where the intake is supposed to be and then hooked my compressor up and pressurized it, and then listened for leaks, i tried plenty of different amounts of pleasure and eventually got it to where I could hear no leaks
Old Apr 11, 2019, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

I made one of those boost like tester things that attach to where the intake is supposed to be and then hooked my compressor up and pressurized it, and then listened for leaks, i tried plenty of different amounts of pleasure and eventually got it to where I could hear no leaks
What do your logs for psi look like? Do you hit 25psi and quickly drop way down? or do you get to 25psi and plateau continuing through the powerband?
You might want to switch back to the stock bov for testing. The stock bov should be ok up to maybe 27psi? but should at least make it past 25, just to see what happens.
Also, which TiAL BOV are you using, and what spring are you using?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Metal_AF
What do your logs for psi look like? Do you hit 25psi and quickly drop way down? or do you get to 25psi and plateau continuing through the powerband?
You might want to switch back to the stock bov for testing. The stock bov should be ok up to maybe 27psi? but should at least make it past 25, just to see what happens.
Also, which TiAL BOV are you using, and what spring are you using?
When I say 25PSI I don’t mean 25PSI exactly, it’s that 25PSI is the most I’ve ever been able to reach, sometimes I only hit 22-23, it’s very weird and inconsistent. I can’t exactly name the model of tail BOV or the type of spring I’m using off the top of my head and unfortunately I don’t have the stock one:/ I’ll try and get one of my data logs in here
Old Apr 11, 2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Do you have the shield on your ETS intake?

- Robert
I do not, would you be able to link me to where I could purchase one?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

When I say 25PSI I don’t mean 25PSI exactly, it’s that 25PSI is the most I’ve ever been able to reach, sometimes I only hit 22-23, it’s very weird and inconsistent. I can’t exactly name the model of tail BOV or the type of spring I’m using off the top of my head and unfortunately I don’t have the stock one:/ I’ll try and get one of my data logs in here
The bov spring only matters for idle vacuum, not boost. Saw that you are missing the heat shield, that would be the #1 culprit for the idle issues you've described. I don't see an option to buy the heat shield by itself on the ETS website, but ETS should be able to help you out there.

How high were you able to get your pressure while boost leak testing? Should be able to go past 30psi. You also want to mix up some soapy water, spray it around while pressurized and look for bubbles. Not trying to sound like a broken record, but it really does sound like a boost leak. If you test to 30psi and no bubbles, I would start looking at the boost control system for failures.
*Swap BOV with a new or known-good - test.
*Check all the EBC lines for debris, and zip-tied to the barbs on each end. Swap the boost controller - test.

Do you have a separate boost gauge or are you only monitoring boost in the logs?
Are you running the OEM turbo and waste-gate setup?