Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fixing engine roll- and torque-related squeaking noise in the Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Lightbulb Fixing engine roll- and torque-related squeaking noise in the Evo X

Recently my Evo X has been making a squeaking noise when the car starts moving from a stopped position. At first I thought it was a ball joint because it sounds very much like one. The odometer is at 73k miles. So I took the car to my Mitsubishi dealer to diagnose.

Technicians at the dealership checked ball joints, suspension links, exhaust rubber hangers, and examples of clutch-related noise, and believed these parts are all good. So they brought in the master tech there who pinpointed the noise to a weakened exhaust seal ring (MR450711). The seal ring is fitted to the head of the downpipe, allowing the engine mounts to dampen vibration while keeping the exhaust system sealed. When it's in good condition, the seal ring only makes a very faint squeaking noise under maximum engine roll. (For instance, if you modulate the gas pedal abruptly in low gear while the clutch is fully engaged.) The seal ring making squeaking noises with mild engine rolls is an early symptom of exhaust leak.

Therefore they replaced the exhaust seal ring and the squeaking noise is gone. The old seal ring indeed looks very worn. Now as I'm sensitized to it, I do feel the Evo X's engine rolls too much from the factory and I'm going to install a Beatrush engine roll stopper (S143060BC-ACA) in the future.

Postscript

So I did buy a Beatrush engine roll stopper and took it to the dealership for installation. The master technician noticed that the front engine mount's centric bolt is missing, which turned out to be the actual cause of excessive engine roll, as well as premature wear of the seal ring. They sold me a new bolt.

I distinctly remember once on the freeway there was something in the engine bay that sounded like a loose piece of metal, making noise for a while before flying off. It must have been the bolt.

I did install the Beatrush ERS along with the new bolt, but couldn't bear the NVH, so I ended up switching back to OEM front engine mount 2 days later. Comparing the OEM front engine mount bolted and not bolted, the squeaking noise is gone and shifting to low gears is much easier.

Last edited by Lightsaber; Jun 29, 2019 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Postscript
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Good info- thank you.

This is a good info. Thanks for sharing.