Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New evo gsr owner.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 04:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New evo gsr owner.

Hi I'm new here. My brother recently passed away and I inherited his 2015 evo gsr. My question is , is it the same as a evo x? Or is that another trim level? His current mods on the evo are top speed cat back system . Hopefully not careless. I havent checked under the car yet, we live in a area where we need e checks. Enkei rims . Not sure if he put a new intake on it or not. As he was doing his kids on the evo. He found a new toy a 2014 ktm 1190rc8 which he crashed in April resulting in his death. So I plan on doing some more upgrades to the evo. He had plans on dropping about 10k into it. For a 800+ hk build. So with that being said I just wanted to kind of introduce myself and post here and ask a few questions. Thanks for reading
Old May 25, 2019, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
First - Welcome to the forum and sorry for your loss.

A GSR is an Evo trim, do you still have the "Evolution" badge on the trunk? If you post pictures of the parts you are wondering about and post them, we can help you out. If you google around you can find the "EvoX Service Manual". Compare the pictures in it to your can and that would help get you familiar with things too. Depending on how much appears modified, you might want to have a local shop inspect it further. Other parts are not so obvious (Injectors/Pump/Cams/Tune).
Once you figure out where the car currently stands, you will need to figure out how far you want to go with things. 400wtq is the community consensus when it comes to max power on stock bottom end, and that can get you into the 490-540whp range depending on tune and gas type.

Keep us posted, we are happy to help.
Old May 25, 2019, 08:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Welcome. I'm sorry about your brother. Growing up I knew a guy that professionally raced motorcycles, and one day he was out riding and he had a really bad accident that almost took his life. After that I just thought if this can happen to him, what hope do any of us have. This was before texting and driving / smart phones was even a thing.

Id'e be willing to bet this car will have a significant amount of sentimental value attached to it, probably more so as time goes by. So I would just suggest to go really slow with modifying it. I agree with everything Metal_AF was saying, esp the inspection. This will help you get a baseline of where the car is, if it needs anything, and you will start a relationship with a shop. You should choose a place that specializes in at least the platform if not evos specifically. IMO your going to want to take care of any maintenance or repairs that the car needs before doing any additional modification.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome and sorry for your lost man. The great thing about this platform is that its been out for a decade so this forum is rich in modding information. There's not too much that hasn't been tried and tested. Good luck with the build and I look forward to seeing to your progress with it.

Last edited by jayevo23; May 25, 2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old May 26, 2019, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about your loss.

Im sure a fully built Evo would make him happy. He’ll be smiling down at you from heaven.
Old May 27, 2019, 09:24 AM

Sorry for you loss.

As a starting point I would do full bolt-ons and a tune and keep like that for a while, just so that you can get familiar with the car and see where you want to go from there.

If you don't want to do full bolt-ons, at least a catback (which you already have), intake, and boost controller + tune. That will definitely wake up the car. Just know that Evos are very sensitive to mods so if you install any mod you will need to do a tune right after, or else the car will run like crap and you can potentially harm it if you push it very often.

These cars make a lot of power with very few mods/money put into them. That's why I love them.

Another suggestion is just to read a BUNCH of threads on here and just research and learn about the car (which seems like you're already doing )
Old May 31, 2019, 04:08 AM

Yes it has the evolution badge on it. I'm pretty sure he only through a cat back top speed exhaust on it. And new rims and tires. But I def plan on doing an intake and a tune along with a catch can if there are any options for that. He took care of that car and yes this car has more sentimental value than anything really. I'm sure I'll be on here more as time goes by.

Old May 31, 2019, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd just leave it stock and enjoy it. Will last a lot longer that way. That's how he had it, let it ride like that shiny eternal and a memory of that's how he last left it.

Sorry for your loss, these cars are great stock as well as modified, but this one? Leave it alone, put some tint on and retain the connection to the one you lost imo.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I'd just leave it stock and enjoy it. Will last a lot longer that way. That's how he had it, let it ride like that shiny eternal and a memory of that's how he last left it.

Sorry for your loss, these cars are great stock as well as modified, but this one? Leave it alone, put some tint on and retain the connection to the one you lost imo.
Makes sense. But his brother was also planning on building a 800hp Evo, so I could see him want to fulfill his dream too.

Either way, nice car. Sorry for your loss. That would be a car I would have to hold on to forever.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 05:45 AM

yes its def going to be in my possession for a while. only other person that wanted this car was his best friend he rode with on bikes. so ill be willing it out to him in case of my demise.he also has the parts list they were making for the build. if i go the rout he wanted to do it would cost over 10 grand , just for the engine build, and im sure id have to beef up the trans as well. but like said before im going to ride this untill i get the feel for it and how this car moves. ive only driven it a few times when he was here. its been 2 months since hes been gone and were just no getting things going through probate. this week i will be either paying it off completely or taking a loan out for it and hopefully have it in my name by mid june. he went to a lot of car shows and tuner meets. thats really not my thing but a lot of his friends have nice cars and always ask me when im going to get it that way i can take it and continue his legacy through those types of things. he went to superfly and won a runner up in this car last year, which i thought was pretty cool. any cool things about this car i ahould know about that i wont already know about? i know it has a launch control on it or something but i think that is detrimental to the tranny and he never really launched it. he showed me once and i thought his tranny was going to obliterate lol.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Enjoy it at your capabilities imo, 800 may be one man's dream but another mans nightmare. Just having that car alone, his dream car, imo is enough. Drive it, enjoy it, and get a feel for it these are great cars. Maybe get a High Performance Driving Event in your area to get a better feel for what the car can really do and see where you go from there? Taking a slow approach is a great idea man, too many times people modify a car before getting to know it and they come out regretting it on the other end. Enjoy the car however you see fit, I'm sure he's just looking down happy that you have it and will be enjoying however you decide to from here on out.

These cars are very special, one thing to know about is the active yaw system they have. This means that when you are powering into a corner, the car is able to apply and remove power independently to each wheel while you push it. So for instance, it will spin the outside wheels on the turn more than the inside wheels to pull you through a corner faster. One of the best driving cars out there.

Hit up some Youtubes on the car, it's very impressive. You can see it compete on the track with some very solid cars because it's setup so well even 100% stock from the factory.

-Peace and welcome

P.S. I'd stay away from launch control personally. It's very hard on any car, and these cars are more about the turns and powering through a canyon, not really who can beat who to the next stoplight. Just something to keep in mind when you roll the car They are fast, but without some work they are a bit laggy off the line. Personally it never bothered me, but launching it never was an option for me as it just feels so damn harsh and I love my cars too much.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 03:17 AM

Welcome to the forum.