Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Water Pump Underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2020, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump Underdrive pulley

Does anyone make a water pump underdrive pulley?

I have a track car and I'd like to run the water pump a little slower, maybe 15% or so.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 02:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
This not advisable. One person makes an underdrive pulley for the 8/9 and it caused my car to over heat on track. Back to stock pulley, and it ran 210 all day just fine.

If you need more power, run E85 and/or put a bigger turbo on the car.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Does anyone make a water pump underdrive pulley?

I have a track car and I'd like to run the water pump a little slower, maybe 15% or so.
​​​​​​I don't run a under drive pulley but I use a light weight allumium water pump and crank pulley set from Modern Performance. They don't sell anything for mitsubishi but I use the set for a dodge caliber srt4 and work great
Old Feb 19, 2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Abryant1985
​​​​​​I don't run a under drive pulley but I use a light weight allumium water pump and crank pulley set from Modern Performance. They don't sell anything for mitsubishi but I use the set for a dodge caliber srt4 and work great
I see those. The EVO has the same engine block, water pump and many other parts as the Dodge Caliber.

I worry that the lightweight crank pulley will not dampen the engine vibrations as much as needed for track use.

In any case, I've moved on from looking for an underdrive pulley and am going with an electric water pump.

I pulled the impeller off the existing mechanical water pump and am putting the electric waterpump at the radiator output so that it pushes water through the whole system. I'll remove the thermostat as well and let the electric water pump controller manage everything.

water pump with impeller removed
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks, I have recently purchased a Megan Racing underdrive aluminum pulley; would anyone know the specs of the correct V belt for it(or any underdrive pulley), thanks in advance.

Last edited by I<3myevo6; Jun 7, 2021 at 01:24 AM.