EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   P0016 code :l (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/662287-p0016-code-l.html)

geoxrge_gsr Jun 26, 2013 03:34 PM

P0016 code :l

Have full bolt ons/ mx1 cams / tuned by RRE. The day they tuned it check engine light came on. They checked timing and it's dead on. Any ideas of what it can be?

mshilto89 Jun 29, 2013 01:11 PM

There is a TSB out for the P0016-17 code. I know you aren't on stock cams, but maybe Mitsu can flash it for you? When my P0016 went off it was my timing chain, did your tuner check for stretch?

geoxrge_gsr Jun 30, 2013 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by mshilto89 (Post 10866817)
There is a TSB out for the P0016-17 code. I know you aren't on stock cams, but maybe Mitsu can flash it for you? When my P0016 went off it was my timing chain, did your tuner check for stretch?

Mines a 2012 you think I'd have to do it? But yeah they checked timing, if chain wasn't loose and stuff. Looks good. So yeah btw do you think since it's tune and the dealer flashes it, I would have to retune again or??

mshilto89 Jun 30, 2013 11:04 AM

I don't think you'd have to re-tune, but I would maybe ask the dealer first. At this point it seems like your safest option. I know a bunch of guys went in and got the TSB flash for the SAWC and some of them were tuned. I haven't heard of any flashes to them resetting the engine tune. Although, since this is technically a part of the drivetrain, it may mess with the tune. Wish I could be of better assistance?

mshilto89 Jun 30, 2013 03:02 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...p0017-cel.html

Here was my experience with the p0016 and p0017 code.

rkelley Jun 30, 2013 05:22 PM

Could be air in the actuator. Or a faulty oil control solenoid. How many miles since you had them installed?

04Evo851374 Jun 30, 2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by geoxrge_gsr (Post 10863277)
Have full bolt ons/ mx1 cams / tuned by RRE. The day they tuned it check engine light came on. They checked timing and it's dead on. Any ideas of what it can be?

I have a few mods and i had that code and one day i decided to replace my high flow cat with a straight pipe and check engine light came off. Turned out to be the cat. Mean while everyone said timing and my timing was dead on.

rkelley Jul 1, 2013 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by 04Evo851374 (Post 10868168)
I have a few mods and i had that code and one day i decided to replace my high flow cat with a straight pipe and check engine light came off. Turned out to be the cat. Mean while everyone said timing and my timing was dead on.

Not really sure what a cat has to do with intake camshaft position?

To the OP, when you say timing was spot on, are you saying that they visually checked the timing marks on the chain? A more accurate way to diagnose would be to log intakeVVT target vs actual in evoscan and see if 1) your intake camshaft is in time at idle and 2) that your intake cam is advancing and retarding properly within MiVEC.

geoxrge_gsr Jul 1, 2013 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 10867959)
Could be air in the actuator. Or a faulty oil control solenoid. How many miles since you had them installed?

Like 300 miles. Right when I left the shop my cel turned on

geoxrge_gsr Jul 1, 2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 10868362)
Not really sure what a cat has to do with intake camshaft position?

To the OP, when you say timing was spot on, are you saying that they visually checked the timing marks on the chain? A more accurate way to diagnose would be to log intakeVVT target vs actual in evoscan and see if 1) your intake camshaft is in time at idle and 2) that your intake cam is advancing and retarding properly within MiVEC.

Yes checked the marks on the chain, and it's good. My tuner also checked it on the Evoscan, everything seems to be normal. So idk /:

rkelley Jul 1, 2013 09:14 PM

Any issues at idle? Stumbling? Lean AFRs cycling in and out?