Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to Install a Front License Plate without drilling the Bumper

Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to Install a Front License Plate without drilling the Bumper

Well here it is folks, a boltless way of installing a front license plate without having to drill through your bumper. What I have done is pretty much relocated the Japanese style front license plate position to the center of the nose. For $16.07 you can have a front license plate installed without having to drill holes on your bumper.

First off you need to go to any car store like Advance Auto Parts, Murray's, Pep-boys, etc. and get a license plate mount like the one shown below. It's fairly cheap like 5 bucks.

You can get Tie straps and weatherstrip from a Home Depot.
Below is the total cost for all the items you need to install the front license plate mount.

Next you will see the outline of the area you will be installing the new license plate mount.

And here are the tools you need to install it with.

Make 4-6 sets of tie straps that look like below, interlinked in pairs. Be sure to snip off the tail ends that stick out of the head and indicated below.

Next slide 1 by 1 the tie straps through from the right inlet to the left inlet through the backside as shown below.

Use pliers if necessary if you can't get your fingers in the tight space to pull the other end of the tie strap through to the front.

In the end it should be sticking out like the picture below. The reason why I taped a pair so it's easier for me to indicate which head end of the strap is connected to which tail end.

Now apply several weather strips to the locations shown below or wherever you deem necessary in order to prevent the mount from rubbing on your bumper. Weather strips is a good idea to use here because it absorbs vibration which also prevents the mount from taping the bumper and making loud noises. Also it prevents the mount from leaving scratch marks on your bumper and gives the mount a bit of grip on the rubbery surface.

When the mount is attached to the nose it'll look like below.

The next step is OPTIONAL. By placing tie straps below and connected to the grill to stabilize and keep the mount from sliding and drifting upwards due to uplift drafts if that ever happens, but in 99% of the situation the wind is pushing the plate against the bumper and the gravity to pulling it downward so it's more of a extra safety precaution than a actual requirement. Below I only marked the right side but you can do the left side too. I did both sides.

Finally, pull all the tie straps as hard as you want till the mount is securely tighten onto the bumper. And be sure to snip off all the excess tail that sticks out of the tie strap. If your mount doesn't look like the picture below then you must of missed a step or you are stupider than a monkey. j/k....

Notice the top corners of the mount, I place additional weather strip there because upon mounting the mount I notice the corners where touching the bumper. It might vary for others so place where you see fit.

There you go a flawless look that doesn't block the inter cooler or the air intake flow. You at most probably only cover 3 inches on both side from the center beam of the nose but that isn't where the Air intake or the MAJORITY of the inter cooler is located at. They are situated above or below where the new mount location is.

-Raytrix

Last edited by raytrix; Apr 9, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a bad idea. A lot better than drilling. I don't understand why so many states mandate two license plates. That's one good thing about PA. Probably the only good thing.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine from a dealer in NJ, and there are 3 holes in my front bumper from the plate holder I don't need hear in PA.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

PA has a lot of Amish folks. Their cool. Nice job...best one I've seen so far (but I already drilled the bumper...canards, plate, splitter....oh well, just a car, right?)
Good work!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

got our eclipse in Maryland and from PA, got the same three holes
Originally Posted by icole
I bought mine from a dealer in NJ, and there are 3 holes in my front bumper from the plate holder I don't need hear in PA.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

That works, good job.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 09:59 PM

nice. i just got pulled over for not having one. the cop let me go cause i told him i would put it up tomorrow. i really didnt want to drill the bumper so this is great.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Double stick velcro Tape works great too, as i have it on my IX. It comes off easy even the sticky for a show. Nice job though..
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

i rather mount it on the side though, without drilling.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 03:39 PM

i just did it. it cost $9.56. looks great.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Raytrix - Im thinking about doing this. How has the front plate been holding up since you did it? Zip ties dont seem that sturdy
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Not a bad idea , but seems to me, takes a lots of parts and effort to put it on and take it off . Why not use just a plate and do it like that?
Put those weather strips on the plate, so the rubbing issue will be solved too.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

brilliant idea man
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by malves85
Raytrix - Im thinking about doing this. How has the front plate been holding up since you did it? Zip ties dont seem that sturdy
Ive had it on there for over a week now. gone "fast" a few times hasn't moved at all. I'm hopping the zip ties don't dry up and crack over time.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Thats what im worried about. Im sure by winter time they will weaken and with the snow might loose my license plate.

Whats that stuff that holds the badges on trunks of cars? Taking them off is a huge pain cause its so tough. Maybe adding that sticky stuff along with zip ties and maybe some strong fishing line or something would really secure that thing down for the paranoid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Install a Front License Plate without drilling the Bumper