Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: disable non-HID X DRLs (this works :))

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laxplayer14
i did just this and mine didnt power up, i was pretty disappointed.. when i turned the light switches on, nothing came on? any ideas what may have gone wrong?
...if you can not get it to work.

post up a pic of your relay set up and i can tell you what is wrong.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:12 PM

I have finished eliminating my non sss Evo X DRL. I modified "07outty" bypass procedure. I didn't wanna splice or tap my OEM wire so I came up with something that will not require splicing/tapping the OEM wire or removing the front cover. Installation is about 20 mins or so. It will work on halogen headlights and OEM hid projector headlights (this is what I have on my non SSS evo).

No click: handbrake down, DRL OFF
First click: marker lights on, handbrake down, lowbeams off, DRL OFF
Second/final click: marker lighs on, lowbeams on, DRL OFF

BTW, I didn't wire this to foglights or parking brake wire just in case you guys are wondering.

Will upload pics later.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:38 PM

awesome write up
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 206OZEvo7
I have finished eliminating my non sss Evo X DRL. I modified "07outty" bypass procedure. I didn't wanna splice or tap my OEM wire so I came up with something that will not require splicing/tapping the OEM wire or removing the front cover. Installation is about 20 mins or so. It will work on halogen headlights and OEM hid projector headlights (this is what I have on my non SSS evo).

BTW, I didn't wire this to foglights or parking brake wire just in case you guys are wondering.

Will upload pics later.
please share
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Why can't you just pull the bulbs?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turpdogg
Why can't you just pull the bulbs?

on late model japanese built mitsus' with "regular headlights"

the drl bulb and the low beam are the same bulb.

in the headlights off/drl mode the bulb receives less power through a "switching relay".

when the headlight switch is put to the on position....the bulb receives full voltage.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I just looked at mine and its the same bulb... sucks
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:37 AM

cool... so i will be able to run halos without my daytime running lights?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will upload pics later.
Bump

Please share
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:47 AM

will high beams still work with this method?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

yes. high beams work normal.

the only thing is........since i use the parking light "on" wire to trigger my relay.

you can not have just parking lights on.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Will upload pics later.
Bump for this method.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:51 AM

Will upload pics later.
Yet another bump for info on this.

My guess: Switches being what they are, there's got to be a place to tap the "headlight on" switch either in the original DRL relay holes or perhaps a fuse. The way to do this is disable DRL in the same method as described by the OP but take the "To parking light hot wire" feed from the connection that switches to 12V when you go to the second click on the stock headlight switch.

More commentary: Switching relay??? There are two ways to limit power to the bulbs during DRL mode. One is to regulate 12V to a lower voltage and the other is to limit the current (which also lowers the voltage.) Since the stock DRL relay has a heatsink, I'm thinking it's likely a DC-DC buck converter that outputs either a lower voltage or lower current when DRL signal is present. The circuit would have the ability to send full power to the lights since there's an internal Mosfet inside that can be turned on all the time (switching it on and off causes a lower output voltage.) Since the 2nd click on the stock switch might be turning this mosfet on full time, there's a second signal somewhere.... and it just may be one of the original "switching relay" pins. I'll remove my relay and take some measurements soon.

If anyone has schematics or wiring diagrams of the fuse box, either post or PM me and I'll take a look instead of guessing. Then again, taking measurements should be straight forward. 1. Remove relay 2. turn ignition switch to acc position 3. Write notes of baseline measurements on stock relay pins with DRL, parking and headlights off 4. carefully re-take and compare measurements ONE AT A TIME alternating between these - handbrake, 1st click and 2nd click.

I'm thinking you'll find the 2nd click toggles one of those relay pins with 12V. Be certain between tests that you're DRLs have been turned off.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:18 AM

Will upload pics later.

Post a how to for this please
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gabrod72
Yet another bump for info on this.

My guess: Switches being what they are, there's got to be a place to tap the "headlight on" switch either in the original DRL relay holes or perhaps a fuse. The way to do this is disable DRL in the same method as described by the OP but take the "To parking light hot wire" feed from the connection that switches to 12V when you go to the second click on the stock headlight switch.
Don't most Mitsu switches work by grounding, not power? If so, then the "logic" would need to be reversed: rather than getting power from the parking light to close the relay for the headlights, you'd be grounding the relay via the steering-column twisty, instead of having the relay always grounded to the chassis near the fuse box. I might spend some time with the shop manual to figure this out, since I hate DRLs but also like to be able to have just the parking lights.

As to how DRLs can be dimmer than low-beams, it can also be done by PVM. I don't know how halogens react to PVM, but LEDs love it. edit: Evos use a FET.

edit #2: the service manual shows that the left-side (lighting) column switch is directly integrated with the column ECU, so you can't get in there to prevent the column ECU from activating the DRLs. Thus, I have no idea how 206OZEvo7 could stop the DRLs at the source, allowing for parking lights without headlights. And given that s/he hasn't come back to tell us, I'm starting to suspect that the entire idea was vapor-ware.

Last edited by Iowa999; Jul 31, 2011 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: disable non-HID X DRLs (this works :))