Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Need Help with AMS Fuel Rail

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with AMS Fuel Rail

I just got a Walbro pump and an AMS fuel rail (getting ready to up the boost)...no problem with the pump, but for some reason I can't get the fuel rail installed correctly. I've done several on other cars, but on the Evo X I'm gushing fuel out of the seam between the fuel rail and the regulator at the passenger side of the fuel rail. It's tight, no leaks from the injectors at all, but as soon as I turn the car over I spray gas out of that seam. Any ideas? I can only guess that the injectors aren't seated right or something, but it's like the pressure is too much for that connection.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what's the point of the fuel rail?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evofan_08
what's the point of the fuel rail?
Flow better to supply more fuel to the motor.

To the OP:
Are you missing an o-ring or something by any chance? If I had the factory diagram I'd post it, but I can't find one...
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:03 PM

Yes, I'm upping the boost so it's a good idea to add more fuel...still need help though, it's leaking all over the place...it's almost like there should be a gasket between the regulator and the rail, but there wasn't on the stock rail...
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:25 PM

I just install mine and no problems. No seal between the fuel rail and regulator just the small o-ring on the regulator fitting that goes in the regulator. I guess, just make sure that o-ring is not torn and is seated right. Does your regulator goes in the fuel rail kinda tight? or is it loose? I lubed the o-ring a little and it when in kinda tight....lol.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 03:36 AM

Aha, I didn't see an o-ring on that, just on the injectors...must have fallen out when I removed the stock one...damn, there's a few hours I'll never get back. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:35 AM

Just as an FYI I thought I would post this...when searching through the forum I read a post about the metal clips that hold the injectors to the rail, and someone had posted "don't lose any of the clips, you can't just order the clips, with Mitsubishi you have to order the entire wiring harness". As some of you may know I'm the sales manager at a Mitsubishi dealership, and of course, I lost one of the clips. So I went to my parts manager and had him look up the part...you can order just the clips, the retail is $1.00 per clip...I told him about the comment, and he told me that normally he wouldn't order just a clip, he would tell the customer that they did have to order the entire rail so it was worth his while to place the order...I corrected this problem, but I thought it was something that was worth telling the public about...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Did you guys notice any additional noise in the cabin (windows up) at idle after installing this fuel rail? Mine is really noisy and makes a funny squeek sound if you tap the throttle off idle. It sounds like it may be caused by the regulator.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to doing this install myself to get rid of the fuel pipe crack problem....hopefully it does.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Did you contact AMS? I'm sure they will help you on the situation.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MAS2377TECH
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to doing this install myself to get rid of the fuel pipe crack problem....hopefully it does.
This is not going to impact the fuel line crack (Recall) problem. That issue is in the return line and has nothing to do with the supply rail.

Also, I did contact AMS and they weren't aware of any "noise" issues. I believe this will be a common issue but if you have a louder exhaust you won't be able to hear it. The aluminum rail definitely amplifies that injector rattle and whatever noises the regulator diaphram is making.

It's not a big deal as you can only really hear it at idle. You get used to it pretty quick.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 09:44 AM

Hey this may be a dead thread but I an having a hard time with the fuel line connecting to the solid thing on drivers side bring the boost solid. It settle like the stock solid end its too long or something. Any ideas?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This?

Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:50 AM

So if you change the fuel rail will you need to tune the car again?

Quick Reply: Need Help with AMS Fuel Rail