Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Fiberglass how to?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fiberglass how to?

I have a customer guage pod that has a small crack in it. I have watched videos on how to fiberglass but was wondering if there is a easier way to fix a crack in it? Its shorter than the length of a dime and about as wide as the side of one. Small enough to bother me. If some one could give me points of how to that would be great! or if I need to re-fiberglass it Ill do it.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not really up to date on fiberglass products... if it's painted and such i'd get some of the bondo that has the fiberglass already in it... it will save alot of mixing and such... fill it, sand it, and paint it.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I'm not really up to date on fiberglass products... if it's painted and such i'd get some of the bondo that has the fiberglass already in it... it will save alot of mixing and such... fill it, sand it, and paint it.
perfect thats what I needed to know. That should help cut down on everything. Thanks a ton!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

i used an aqua epoxy stick to fix my fiances cracked side door mirror housing. i bought it at home depot for 4.50 it works great and cures in 25 minutes. i let it sit for an hour before sanding. then painted it with exterior trim paint. i would recommend priming the entire pod before painting it whatever color as the epoxy comes out shiner when its painted not by much but enough to see.

before

after

I didnt wnat to buy a tub of bondo for 10.00 so i tried this it came out great and my fiance was very happy. she was upset that i was trying to fix it at first thinking i was trying to be cheap but after she saw the finished product she couldnt tell the difference.

http://www.polymericsystems.com/epox...s/aquamend.htm

thats what i used. cheap and can be found at homedepot
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, the two part epoxy that looks like clay is the way to go (like mentioned above). It is strong, dries fast, paints easily. I have used this to fix body parts and to bond load bearing surfaces. If the prep work is done right after the epoxy cures, you won't even be able to tell it is there.

http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Coa.../dp/B000AAVOKA

There are a ton of different brands. This just gives you an idea of the packaging.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

yep take your time sanding and dont forget to primer it. if i had primered mine it would have came out a little bit better.

another note, this was my FIRST and i mean FIRST body repair of any kind i have ever done, just to show you how easy it is to use for first timers.