Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how do you install SS brakelines on GSR?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do you install SS brakelines on GSR?

I hate to bother you with a really dumb question..so here goes. I was wondering how you install the SS brakes lines on a X. Obviously I know I need a box wrench or two to remove the lines, however there are a few variables I need covered. 1)How should I drain the system without damaging the paint on the calipers. 2) When bleeding the brake calipers what order should I do it and do I need to bleed something else besides the calipers considering the clutch and brake system share a reservoir. Thanks in advance!!!

Also..I saw the write-up from joe250..but...seems like something is missing...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wanna know how to change it too because im planning to change it.
i just saw some old posts yesterday. the order should be "the evo x order should be driver rear, passenger front, passenger rear, driver front"
i don't know if it's right tho, so please check it before go it.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Keep in mind that you will need to re-learn how to break in your evo.
have a friend that smached a beatifull evo IX AutoX'ing with his new SS lines. and he is a realy good driver.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice friend. but..I've driven with the SS lines..just never installed them..I was running axxiss pads with SS lines on another setup...I noticed a much solid pedal feel..but nothing dramatic..however I'll still keep what you said in mind..being winter and all..
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
Keep in mind that you will need to re-learn how to break in your evo.
have a friend that smached a beatifull evo IX AutoX'ing with his new SS lines. and he is a realy good driver.

smached=smashed?
What was he doing Autocrossing that he smashed up the car and how exactly did it relate to the SS brake lines?
I'm curious about the story and the details, being an amateur Autocrosser!
Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
isnt it you start from the farthest from the brake master cylinder? so its the "Z" method? passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, and then the driver front.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

beetle is correct. I put SS brakelines on mine and thats how I did it. Start with the Passenger Rear. Than the Driver Rear, followed by the Passenger Front and do the Driver Front last. Remember, when you bleed the system that there is 2 bleeder valves on each calipers. Bleed the front one first(the one you can see). Than bleed the back one(the one on the back side of the caliper). As for draining it, there is no need to. I just used a small rubber plug to keep it from leaking every where. Check the reservoir after you bleed each caliper, to make sure to doesnt go below the "MIN" line or you will have to do the bleeding process over. As for the paint on the calipers. I just spraied them with brake cleaner and have had no problems with the paint fading/chipped or anything and its been over 2 months since I went to SS brakelines.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

I installed the SS brakelines..and sure enough beetle was right. I found the info on a service manual pdf that I downloaded some time ago. I also bled the clutch since it shares a reservoir with the brake fluid...most people don't mention it..but I think that's the last one you should do. Everything turned out ok..drove it..noticed the difference right away..I more solid pedal and less pedal effort. I'm thinking of doing a right up..but...the lines are pretty straight forward..the bleeding on the other hand..
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by ImsoevoX
I installed the SS brakelines..and sure enough beetle was right. I found the info on a service manual pdf that I downloaded some time ago. I also bled the clutch since it shares a reservoir with the brake fluid...most people don't mention it..but I think that's the last one you should do. Everything turned out ok..drove it..noticed the difference right away..I more solid pedal and less pedal effort. I'm thinking of doing a right up..but...the lines are pretty straight forward..the bleeding on the other hand..
Agreed! Please do a write up
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:38 AM

I did it on my gsr after watching this video. Almost the same, at least the principles are the same. Make sure you bleed afterwords. There is the brake bleeding video you can watch too. The video is great.
http://videos.hspn.com/?videoid=45&catid=14
Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure what service manuals you guys are looking at, but the two I have for the 08 X state Driver rear, passenger front, passenger rear, driver front.

_____2___3
FRONT
_____4___1
Old Mar 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wild01ride
smached=smashed?
What was he doing Autocrossing that he smashed up the car and how exactly did it relate to the SS brake lines?
I'm curious about the story and the details, being an amateur Autocrosser!
Thanks.
I can't tell you many details since i haven't ask him if i can tell the story. He was the one that tell us, that provably the accident was becouse the brand new ss braking lines that he installed, not becouse is a bad product but becouse the braking feeling is diferent. he hit one of the sidewalk banks at the final line.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by saytheb
Not sure what service manuals you guys are looking at, but the two I have for the 08 X state Driver rear, passenger front, passenger rear, driver front.

_____2___3
FRONT
_____4___1
Right...that's the way I did it..and the last thing was the clutch... This order isn't like a normal car..most cars are as such...
___ 3____1
Front
____4___2
...if I'm not mistaken..We are just pointing out that the X is not like the VIII and IX...esp..with how joe250 writes it up.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by I Phantom I
Agreed! Please do a write up
Indeed...I will do a write up..though..I should have taken pics....
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by saytheb

_____2___3
FRONT
_____4___1
yes, this is what my service manual says too.

also, it says bleed the outside screw first, then inside.

btw, i installed AMS lines, but someone told me they would be the same as other popular brands since they all come from the same manufacturer... and you'll notice that the nut holding the line to the hardline is not going to fit the stock bracket on the car. it's very slightly larger than the bracket. i dunno what you guys did, but i actually used a dremel to shave the inside of the bracket slightly, then it was a perfect fit.

Last edited by St1g; Mar 8, 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: how do you install SS brakelines on GSR?