Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Disable Clutch to start on 08 Evo X / 10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WARNING: As always, do at your own risk. No liability, no warranty, etc etc.

Background: The Evo X, as most manual trans vehicles, requires that you depress the clutch to start the car. This is mostly to prevent an attempt at starting the car in gear, which can be bad for the starter and possibly dangerous if something is in the way of the vehicle. Some people prefer to use a remote start which would require defeating this feature and others propose that pushing in the clutch while starting may cause a minor amount of extra wear on some parts.

..... If you are like me, you dump the clutch as soon as the car is started anyway.

We can see from the service manual that the operation of the starter interlock interruption switch has been reversed from the 2g DSM and evo VIII/IX. The system now requires that continuity be made to allow the car to start, rather than the previous setup that required an open circuit to allow the starter relay to be activated. That known, all we have to do is make a connection between these to wires to allow the starter relay to function.

There are 3 obvious options to solve our problem:
A) Make some kind of a PNP connector that will complete the circuit
B) Switch the starter relay from a normally open relay to a normally closed relay (and unplug the clutch interlock wire if you want the car to start when the clutch IS down).
C) Use vampire clips to connect both wires or solder them together (not preferred if you like maintaining the original factory wiring as much as possible.)

Instructions for A):

1. Remove the wire harness from the clutch interlock connector. Lay under the dash on your back and look up, it should be the only connector on the clutch pedal where the harness comes out perpendicular to the movement of the switch, and should not be contacted until the clutch is down. It may help to use a tool to press the lock on the switch down while you pull it up... its cramped in there!

2. Find something suitable to complete the circuit. I used a standard 3x2 pin header (I used to use these for xbox modding) and removed all but 2 pins on one of the long sides. I then pushed the pins so only a small amount was sticking out, bent one of the pins that were pulled out in the shape of a staple, and soldered it to the 2 posts.

3. Insert whatver you have made into the connector. I also ran a zip tie around the connector between the two wires and over the piece I made to make sure it stays in place. I then zip tied it to some wires out of the way to make sure it did not interfere with operation of the clutch.

------

Option B) may or may not be more reliable. I don't expect what I've done to fail, but a production part has a lower rate of failure. Remember, if something goes wrong your car WILL NOT START unless you can plug this back in or somehow short the circuit.

I'll leave the instructions for B) up to you guys, and assume that anyone could perform option C) without instruction.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats weird.. I don't have to puch the clutch to start the car.. I have an EU one..
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the information!

This will come in handy if I ever decide to get a remote starter.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VanIllI
thats weird.. I don't have to puch the clutch to start the car.. I have an EU one..
Your car equipped with SST?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be a good way to make an immobilizer switch too
Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bighec
Your car equipped with SST?

I have a clutch pedal..... what do you think..???

Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:54 AM

is it possible to take a picture of your connector on the car? where do you purchase the 3 x 2 pin header? radioshack? of course i understand that you assume no liability. thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I have a clutch pedal..... what do you think..???

lol
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:20 AM

Now, I'm just wondering, but if you disable the switch on the clucht pedal, probably the 2-step won't work either..

So why would you wanna do that??

Just wondering here...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

^ Good thought, actually.

Ideally, a switched setup would be a good way to go, so that for the times you want to remote start/whatever you just leave the switch on. But when you're hitting the track, flick it off.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by xPRimNT

Ideally, a switched setup would be a good way to go, so that for the times you want to remote start/whatever you just leave the switch on. But when you're hitting the track, flick it off.

jep.. that would work..

but still wondering why you guy's have an extra safety for starting the car..
thats just weird..
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

jep.. that would work..

thats just weird..

It is probably a law or something.. no, nevermind, you are the weird one lol.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Careful with this one boys, you don't want to wind up like this guy...lol:

Dealer accidentally remote starts customer's Mustang right into a pond?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by rogue
It is probably a law or something.. no, nevermind, you are the weird one lol.

Maybe I am.. but I can start my car without pressing the clutch pedal..

and best of all.. it's aaaaallll factory..
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kheovnien
is it possible to take a picture of your connector on the car? where do you purchase the 3 x 2 pin header? radioshack? of course i understand that you assume no liability. thanks!
I believe I got them on the internet (ebay since I needed alot of them at the time), but they are probably available at radio shack. I'll try to get a picture if I get a minute.

jep.. that would work..

thats just weird..
Probably because Tort laws in the US are horrible, so since you have to consciously make the action to release the clutch liability is removed.

Now, I'm just wondering, but if you disable the switch on the clucht pedal, probably the 2-step won't work either..

So why would you wanna do that??

Just wondering here...
Originally Posted by xPRimNT

Just like on the VIII/IX there are 2 different switches on the clutch. One interrupts the starter relay (the one disconnected here) and the other interfaces with the ECU.

Quick Reply: How To: Disable Clutch to start on 08 Evo X / 10