Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

AFTERMARKET STEERING WHEEL INSTALLATION. no codes/no Airbag lights

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan - is it necessary to do the AWC mod? I have a 2010 and installed using the Works hub and Momo steering wheel and haven't had any problems or error codes. Anyone else with a aftermarket wheel on 2010 model to chime in.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Since you are loosing your controls in the steering wheel, awc mod is necessary if you want to keep the ability to select your awc setup, gravel, snow or tarmac. Who doesn’t?
Old May 20, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

what about the cruise control? can you still keep that?

i got a OMP steering wheel that i will be installing soon but wanted to keep at least the cruise since i drive a lot.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:40 PM
raz
Evolving Member

hi, i have the works bell sort hub as you, just waiting to get a steering wheel, i am confused where it says to wrap the airbag wire and resistors around the hub, how did you do yours do you put the wires inside the hub, how do you secure then, etc, any info would be really helpfull thankyou
Old May 20, 2010, 02:58 PM

Ah, the 2008 had the AWC controls on the steering wheel that explains the mod from Dan.

2010 models DOESN'T have the control on the steering and won't need to do this modification.

raz - I have wire around the outside of the hub. The black plastic accordian cover holds it just fine.
Old May 21, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by raz
hi, i have the works bell sort hub as you, just waiting to get a steering wheel, i am confused where it says to wrap the airbag wire and resistors around the hub, how did you do yours do you put the wires inside the hub, how do you secure then, etc, any info would be really helpfull thankyou

I'm sorry that i don't have pictures about it. i will try to explain it to you.
After you conect your Airbag resistors you can't leave them hanging around. they need to rotate with your steering wheel when you are driving becouse they came from the steering wheel sensor.
the best way that i found was wrapping them around the metalic hub, and cover it later with the exterior plastic black hub cover.
so in resume, wrap both resistors and plug in electrical tape, and wrap them around the boss, it will be cover later with the plastic hub cover.
You got it?
Old May 21, 2010, 02:18 PM

what shuft knob is that?
Old May 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
raz
Evolving Member

so you have to get the steering re calibrated from an alinement shop, after the swap, any way of avoiding this
Old May 22, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by raz
so you have to get the steering re calibrated from an alinement shop, after the swap, any way of avoiding this
recalibrated?
I had no recalibrations of any kind.
My car is driving perfectly, turning right and left perfect, u-turns check , stability at high speed check, you don't need to go to any dealer for "calibrations"
unless you are the kind of guy that pay 90 bucks at pep boys for "alignments" every time you rotate your tires. lol
if you park perfectly straight before start working, your steering wheel sensor will be in the bottom as the pictures show.
Ones you take the OEM steering wheel out, yes, the sensor can rotate free, but it doesn’t mean that you will need to calibrate it. it is build to rotate attached to your Steering Wheel, when you drive your car. Yes it’s important to have it located back the more accurate as possible, there is actually a clear plastic square spot, on the left, you will see thru it a little black mark if you have it in the perfect position. I’m sure that they use this trick to install the wheel sensor in the factory. Or provably that’s the expensive “recalibration” that some guys are talking about.
It’s hard to explain until you get there.
My advice is again, if you had never disarm in parts your PC/watch/dvd just for fun , or have no mechanical /electrical experience at all, please do not play with your car, take it to a professional.
Old May 22, 2010, 04:12 PM

great write up!! looks great
Old May 22, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZEKE010
what about the cruise control? can you still keep that?

i got a OMP steering wheel that i will be installing soon but wanted to keep at least the cruise since i drive a lot.
yes, cruise control have their own cables ang plug, if you read the PDF that i recomend to everyone to read, you will see the point where he disconects the cruise control plug, after that he take the cruise control panel out from the steering wheel.
ones you have the little panel in your hands the next question is where are you going to install it. i'm sure you will need some cable extention work.
so...yes you can do it, but you need some research, skills and creativity.
Old May 22, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Enjoi411
great write up!! looks great
Thanks. I was waiting for a while for someone to do it, but I couldn't wait any longer, so I said: F..the world...Let's install the steering wheel and take some cell phone pictures for my colleagues. it can't be so hard.
Old May 22, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Billy's MR
what shuft knob is that?
the knob it's an RALLYART special edition or some sort of unique item, that's what the seller told me. i haven't really research too deep. nobody build it anymore that's for sure.
i was really lucky to get it. feels great and is heavier than stock.

Last edited by alex3dworld; May 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Great right up man.... If it wasn't for you doing this, I would be stuck with soo many codes on my car....
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

glad to help you iceman!
post some pictures when you have it done.

Quick Reply: AFTERMARKET STEERING WHEEL INSTALLATION. no codes/no Airbag lights