Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***

So I decided to make my own write-up for the headlight blacking out on the Xs. There are a few others but not as detailed and I myself had some difficulty that I hope this helps others.

Here is a link to a PDF I created, it's about 2.5MB. Figured this method would be a lot simpler than trying to print out the EvoM webpage.

http://www.2shared.com/document/ZvYA...HOWTOFILE.html

If this link goes down, let me know and I can host elsewhere or just email it to you!

Thanks!

Brett
Attached Thumbnails ***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***-blackout003.jpg   ***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***-blackout024.jpg  

Last edited by pghdsm; May 29, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

how does it look like installed?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pghdsm
So I decided to make my own write-up for the headlight blacking out on the Xs. There are a few others but not as detailed and I myself had some difficulty that I hope this helps others.

Here is a link to a PDF I created, it's about 2.5MB. Figured this method would be a lot simpler than trying to print out the EvoM webpage.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DX3VB8PZ

If this link goes down, let me know and I can host elsewhere or just email it to you!

Thanks!

Brett
can you email me at jckyla@***.net thanx and nice i want to do it too
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by henryDgreat
how does it look like installed?
I will upload a finished installed photo at some point today if the rain stops.

Also...

Anyone that PM'd me or asked in the thread has been emailed the pdf.

Brett

Last edited by pghdsm; Jul 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I just did this project yesterday, but sadly i didnt see this post or the DIY tutorial... i neglected to black out the chrome turn signal and i find it looks a bit off without it blacked out.

do you really prefer using the oven over the heat gun? My friends and i used a heat gun and it kind of warped my clips. Friends assured me that using the heat gun was easier, but i can't help but think that using the oven was probably the better idea.

Last edited by LiQuIdCrAzN; Jul 26, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LiQuIdCrAzN
I just did this project yesterday, but sadly i didnt see this post or the DIY tutorial... i neglected to black out the chrome turn signal and i find it looks a bit off without it blacked out.

do you really prefer using the oven over the heat gun? My friends and i used a heat gun and it kind of warped my clips. Friends assured me that using the heat gun was easier, but i can't help but think that using the oven was probably the better idea.
I blacked out EVERYTHING that was chrome (well chrome-looking plastic), including the turn signal reflector. I may post a video in a week or so with the lights operating. You don't even need the reflector behind the turn signal because the bulb itself is VERY bright. Almost factory-looking, just blacked out when not on.

AND yes you will be there all day with a heat-gun trying to distribute heat evenly around the edges, and you could very well possibly "Warp" the black plastic tabs around the edges. The oven is the best way to do this. Put it in for 30 minutes at 200 degrees after it has preheated. Most claim 20-25 but I'm a fairly strong guy and I couldn't get the dang things apart at 25 minutes for the life of me. Threw it in for another 5 minutes and they were perfect, still a little tacky but came apart fairly easily.

Any other questions shoot me an email at bshiring@gmail.com
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

you got pm
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Good job
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:47 AM

nice write up
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:48 AM

you mentioned clamps in the tools required, but you don't mention using the clamps after you reseal them in the pdf.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

hey i did mine today and here's the results

Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jor-El
you mentioned clamps in the tools required, but you don't mention using the clamps after you reseal them in the pdf.
Clamps aren't necessarily required. Others have used them, I personally didn't though had them available to me. Once I had everything painted and cleaned up inside the way I wanted, I put the entire headlight including the clear cover back in the oven for 10 minutes with the screws back in but not tightened. Took it out after the 10 minutes and tightened them some more but not all the way. The 3rd time I put the headlight back in is when I tightened the screws as much as possible but not as much as to break the plastic and at this point I also folded the tabs over so they locked into place. Sorry if I misled anyone with the clamps. The heat from the oven when resealing should be good enough to make the adhesive pliable without requiring the use of any clamps or additional sealant/silicon.

Brett

Last edited by pghdsm; Jul 28, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:22 AM

ah, gotcha. Thanks. And so far, no leakage/moisture?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Did you try simulating rainy weather on the headlights just to see if there are any leaks?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here you go:

http://www.i64x.com/upload/HIDBLACKHOWTOFILE.pdf

Quick Reply: ***HID Headlamp Black-Out How To***