Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

tips for launching off the line without breaking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
Launching is simple.

Step 1: Stop

Step 2: Push in the clutch

Step 3: Put the car in first gear

Step 4: Let the clutch out to find where it engages and hold it just before that (it'll make it easier to slip/dump)

Step 5: Floor the gas, and hold it to the floor. You will start bouncing off the 2-step at 5000-5500rpm and build boost.

Step 6: DO NOT let off the gas pedal at ALL, slip out the clutch until you feel it grab, then let go.

Step 7: DO NOT let off of the gas pedal until you shift to 2nd gear. The gas pedal should be held to the floor from the beginning until you shift to 2nd.

Step 8: Continue shifting gears accordingly.

that's how i've always done it, and it was good enough to get me and my basically stock IX MR to 12.82 @ 107.41 with only a cat back, no tune, no other power adders, a boost leak, and a possibly slipping stock clutch. I've launched that way more times than I can count, and i'm at 161,000 miles and still going strong. I'd advise this method unless the EVO X 5 speed is somehow weaker than the IX 6 speed lol

you have to launch at the highest rpm the engine will let you to get the best time possible. EVO's actually launch best at ~6000rpm because at 5000rpm unless you get it just right, the car wants to bog. anything lower than that and you'll have to really slip the clutch to keep it from bogging which just burns the clutch up, and you leave the line slow as hell.

Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:21 PM

Kinda off topic..but what mods will not void my warranty..
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:56 AM

+1. Don't lift your foot off the gas!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:11 AM

OK, launch is good. I thought every time the clutch was pushed it limits the rpms to 5K, is there a switch to let it know it is in first gear?

In theory, launch and never lift off of the gas even when shifing, because when the clutch is in and the limiter is effect, and rpms will try to drop back to 5K between clutch blips. I don't have the ***** to try it with mine, and I'm guessing there is more to it than that.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:37 PM

so me and my friend were talking the other day about launching my car and obviously i hit the ASC to turn it off.
On that topic we got to talking and said what would happen if i was to hold it and turn AYC off which is what i believe happens if you hold it for idk like 5 seconds? correct me if im wrong.
We came to the "uneducated" decision that if i was to do that the car would probably launch better due to the computer not trying to correct what your trying to do by launching your car. is this a legitimate hypothesis?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:16 AM

Your hypothesis is correct. Becarefull I had a bad launch at the track and broke transfer case. Lucky they replaced transfer case under warranty.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010EVOGSR
OK, launch is good. I thought every time the clutch was pushed it limits the rpms to 5K, is there a switch to let it know it is in first gear?

In theory, launch and never lift off of the gas even when shifing, because when the clutch is in and the limiter is effect, and rpms will try to drop back to 5K between clutch blips. I don't have the ***** to try it with mine, and I'm guessing there is more to it than that.
that's ALLLLLLL wrong. the rev limiter is only when stationary in 1st gear. it's there to prevent people launching from 6k+rpm's and tearing stuff up. your RPM's drop because of the gearing of the transmission. whether you let off the gas or not, the rpms will drop in a higher gear. the EVO also has slight throttle hang between shifts so the RPM's don't drop much if at all if you shift fast enough. power shifting, or no lift shifting is completely unecessary if you know how to drive. the only thing it's good for is to destroy your transmission. please stop spreading bad/dangerous information.

Originally Posted by blincoln423
so me and my friend were talking the other day about launching my car and obviously i hit the ASC to turn it off.
On that topic we got to talking and said what would happen if i was to hold it and turn AYC off which is what i believe happens if you hold it for idk like 5 seconds? correct me if im wrong.
We came to the "uneducated" decision that if i was to do that the car would probably launch better due to the computer not trying to correct what your trying to do by launching your car. is this a legitimate hypothesis?
this is also all wrong. you do not turn AYC off. you turn ASC off completely off. it disables the ASC's interferance with AYC. this will help launching by turning ASC off, but not because it disables AYC. there is no way to disable AYC, and no need to. EVO's in every market have always had AYC and had no problems launching with it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB
that's ALLLLLLL wrong. the rev limiter is only when stationary in 1st gear. it's there to prevent people launching from 6k+rpm's and tearing stuff up. your RPM's drop because of the gearing of the transmission. whether you let off the gas or not, the rpms will drop in a higher gear. the EVO also has slight throttle hang between shifts so the RPM's don't drop much if at all if you shift fast enough. power shifting, or no lift shifting is completely unecessary if you know how to drive. the only thing it's good for is to destroy your transmission. please stop spreading bad/dangerous information.

this is also all wrong. you do not turn AYC off. you turn ASC off completely off. it disables the ASC's interferance with AYC. this will help launching by turning ASC off, but not because it disables AYC. there is no way to disable AYC, and no need to. EVO's in every market have always had AYC and had no problems launching with it.

Regardless, would it be beneficial at all to turn it completely off
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blincoln423
Regardless, would it be beneficial at all to turn it completely off
yes, you should launch with ASC off.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy
Diff Pins are like $180 i think, you have to call Buschur to get them. The reason why people get them is from launching your car the stock ones tend to get beaten up and slide out. Eventually coming out and bounching around inside your tranny and boom. If your getting a clutch done, might as well get the pins installed same time.
45 from shep
Old Feb 2, 2011, 07:42 PM

Is there like a how to on checking the status of your diff pins? yes. im still learning.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:49 AM

sounds like the same issues people at capital raceway r having ^_^
Old Mar 4, 2011, 01:00 PM

Sub'd
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Finally someone brings it up lol I've never even touched 2 step on my 08 gsr. SKEEERY to me :/ I like it to much to just go try it lol but if you guys have good luck i'm sub'd!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

So just tried to 2-step mine for the first time today and it popped up "service required" on the dash and turned my ASC off lol i turned the car off and all went back to normal. Only got the revs to about 5-5.5k and it did all that so I let off instantly so dunno if it would hold there?

Quick Reply: tips for launching off the line without breaking