Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

tips for launching off the line without breaking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tips for launching off the line without breaking

I recently went from stage 2 2009 WRX to 2008 Evo X GSR. I'm having a hard time launching it off the line without it bogging. Does my GSR have launch control? How can I launch without bogging? I was thinking about taking my car to the 1/4 track to see what it can do but is it true my tranny can't handle hard launches. Best time I ever pulled in my 2009 WRX was a 13.76 @96 60ft 1.88
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

1st gear limits you to 5,500 rpm when the clutch is depressed, so thats your launch control i guess.
The stock clutch is garbage so i dont even recommend ever doing a hard launch on that thing. Try it at 3,500 or 3k and get the feel of it, slip the clutch and stay on the gas and it wont bog, use youtube.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

skyline is right the best way is at around 3k with light slip and full throttle. If you bog you slipped to much or did not give enough throttle.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also consider removing the clutch pill. It'll change the engagement point and make engagement more direct and consistent.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

If you're going to be launching more than a few times, definitely get an upgraded clutch.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

don't forget the diff pins
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Is there a diy how to remove the clutch pill?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pikkagtr
don't forget the diff pins
What is the deal with those?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:51 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

^^ https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...diff-pins.html

Upgraded pins are being made/installed by Buschur Racing (LINK) and Shepherd Transmissions (LINK), both in Ohio.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

How much are these pins anyways? I dont understand why no one will post the stupid price, everyone acts all secretive about it.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 02:22 PM

and dont forget to turn off your traction control by holding the [ASC OFF] button, located to the left and under steering column, for about 5 sec.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure about stock clutch being tobad. I was making 400awhp stock clutch and was using the 2 step a few times. It holds. It all depends on the driver. If you suck your clutch and tranny wont last. If your good, itll last. Pretty simple. Anyone that has blown their tranny is from bad driving not a weak tranny.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Diff Pins are like $180 i think, you have to call Buschur to get them. The reason why people get them is from launching your car the stock ones tend to get beaten up and slide out. Eventually coming out and bounching around inside your tranny and boom. If your getting a clutch done, might as well get the pins installed same time.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Launching is simple.

Step 1: Stop

Step 2: Push in the clutch

Step 3: Put the car in first gear

Step 4: Let the clutch out to find where it engages and hold it just before that (it'll make it easier to slip/dump)

Step 5: Floor the gas, and hold it to the floor. You will start bouncing off the 2-step at 5000-5500rpm and build boost.

Step 6: DO NOT let off the gas pedal at ALL, slip out the clutch until you feel it grab, then let go.

Step 7: DO NOT let off of the gas pedal until you shift to 2nd gear. The gas pedal should be held to the floor from the beginning until you shift to 2nd.

Step 8: Continue shifting gears accordingly.

that's how i've always done it, and it was good enough to get me and my basically stock IX MR to 12.82 @ 107.41 with only a cat back, no tune, no other power adders, a boost leak, and a possibly slipping stock clutch. I've launched that way more times than I can count, and i'm at 161,000 miles and still going strong. I'd advise this method unless the EVO X 5 speed is somehow weaker than the IX 6 speed lol

you have to launch at the highest rpm the engine will let you to get the best time possible. EVO's actually launch best at ~6000rpm because at 5000rpm unless you get it just right, the car wants to bog. anything lower than that and you'll have to really slip the clutch to keep it from bogging which just burns the clutch up, and you leave the line slow as hell.

Last edited by ODUB; Aug 10, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by odub
launching is simple.

Step 1: Stop

step 2: Push in the clutch

step 3: Put the car in first gear

step 4: Let the clutch out to find where it engages and hold it just before that (it'll make it easier to slip/dump)

step 5: Floor the gas, and hold it to the floor. You will start bouncing off the 2-step at 5000-5500rpm and build boost.

Step 6: Do not let off the gas pedal at all, slip out the clutch until you feel it grab, then let go.

Step 7: Do not let off of the gas pedal until you shift to 2nd gear. The gas pedal should be held to the floor from the beginning until you shift to 2nd.

Step 8: Continue shifting gears accordingly.

That's how i've always done it, and it was good enough to get me and my basically stock ix mr to 12.82 @ 107.41 with only a cat back, no tune, no other power adders, a boost leak, and a possibly slipping stock clutch. I've launched that way more times than i can count, and i'm at 161,000 miles and still going strong. I'd advise this method unless the evo x 5 speed is somehow weaker than the ix 6 speed lol

you have to launch at the highest rpm the engine will let you to get the best time possible. Evo's actually launch best at ~6000rpm because at 5000rpm unless you get it just right, the car wants to bog. Anything lower than that and you'll have to really slip the clutch to keep it from bogging which just burns the clutch up, and you leave the line slow as hell.

+1

Quick Reply: tips for launching off the line without breaking