Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Non-SS OEM HID headlight conversion

Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CounterConcept
Dang! the SSS package is like 2,000 I woulda imagined it be cheaper or no where near that price to get hids since u don't get the Rockford 6 cd system with sub, serious satellite radio, the large rear spoiler and the FAST key system.
My initial reaction to the quote i received was complete shock as well.

But like i stated earlier in this thread, aftermarket projectors dont appeal to me, so the only option is to pay up unfortunately.

Lesson learned
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by vastevo
I have put the SSS headlights on my GSR. In order for them to work properly (no flicker), you'll need an aftermarket HID kit. I prefer this :http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=242

You'll need a 9006 Relay harness with a D2S bulb. This kit is second to none, the quality is exponentionally better than any ebay kit.
So would it be the 3five or the 5five that i would get? Not quite sure what the differences are other than the obvious higher wattage. Sorry im noob when it comes to this but i want to make sure i do things right the first time around.

Lastly, i was also wondering if this would make my fog lights hid capable as well or will i need a seperate hid kit for those as well?

Last edited by Axshun; Jan 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:29 AM

You will need a second HID kit for the fogs. Should be H11 if I remember correctly.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dspeed123
You will need a second HID kit for the fogs. Should be H11 if I remember correctly.
With the same 9006 relay?

And thanks.

Last edited by Axshun; Jan 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

I have the 3five ballasts, I see no need for the higher wattage. As far as the fogs go, you'll need an additional HID kit with H11 bulbs like dspeed123 said. No relay harness is required.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by vastevo
I have the 3five ballasts, I see no need for the higher wattage. As far as the fogs go, you'll need an additional HID kit with H11 bulbs like dspeed123 said. No relay harness is required.
Seeing that i would like something subtle and not extreme, i agree that i would prefer the 3five.

But as for the H11 HID Kit, there is a drop down option menu that makes you choose which wire harness comes with the purchase. So not quite sure which one to choose. Any Idea?

Last edited by Axshun; Jan 26, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Axshun
Seeing that i would like something subtle and not extreme, i agree that i would prefer the 3five.

But as for the H11 HID Kit, there is a drop down option menu that makes you choose which wire harness comes with the purchase. So not quite sure which one to choose. Any Idea?
Oh ok, I guess they do offer a harness for the fogs. I went the cheap route with my fogs and just got a PnP HID kit from ddmtuning. The harness isn't really necessary since the fogs don't flicker.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 08:59 PM

**Update**

I went with a retrofit tsx projector and had my housing painted black by a local shop. I feel that it turned out well and am really pleased with the work that was done. I tried as hard as possible to go with a shroud that resembled stock oem projector but it was pretty much impossible.

So my last option was to get something that looked natural in the housing and not just something that was simply installed to run HID's.

Also had my fogs changed to HID's as well. Will post pictures soon.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:55 PM

So here are some pics for the work done.

Stock halogen:

Blacked out housing:

Blacked out shroud with projector:

HID and Leveling test:

Finished Results with Fog light HID's installed:

Images were captured by my brothers phone camera.

I know that the halo ring may get mixed reviews as i did not like the idea of running them at first as well. But it is not as extreme as i thought it would be and think it is quite subtle. All-in-all i am really pleased with the work that was done and only spent half of what wouldve been required for oem.

Last edited by Axshun; Feb 4, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:38 AM

Couple daytime shots with crappy phone camera.

Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:49 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Looks very nice!

So how much did it run you for parts & labor?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by AFD
Looks very nice!

So how much did it run you for parts & labor?
For parts and labor, my total was $700. Not quite sure if i got a deal or not but considering that it would have cost me more than double to go with oem, i am pleased with the money i spent on the conversion.

And thanks
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:22 PM

Did you go with the TSX kit from the retrofit source? I also didn't get the SSS package because the only thing I wanted was the HID and figured I could get them for less after.... Did you run into the flicker problem with the 2011, or do we not have to deal with that? I'm trying to figure out which kit to get, and the exact options I need, as I don't understand the differences.

Last edited by wolf13; Feb 5, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by wolf13
Did you go with the TSX kit from the retrofit source? I also didn't get the SSS package because the only thing I wanted was the HID and figured I could get them for less after.... Did you run into the flicker problem with the 2011, or do we not have to deal wit that? I'm trying to figure out which kit to get, and the exact options I need, as I don't understand the differences.
Well, the shop that i went to had the kit in stock. But it was the TSX kit. Be aware though that the TSX kit comes with a shroud that is small. So it kind of looks out of place since there is a gap between the shroud and the reflector of the headlights.

So, if you dont want that gap you must purchase a shroud that is large enough to reach the back of the reflector.

Honestly i dont know if there are any flicker issues for the 2011 model but from what i read on another evo forum, our model doesnt have drls anymore. Thus eliminating the problems that previous non-ss models had when trying to upgrade to HID.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Axshun
Well, the shop that i went to had the kit in stock. But it was the TSX kit. Be aware though that the TSX kit comes with a shroud that is small. So it kind of looks out of place since there is a gap between the shroud and the reflector of the headlights.

So, if you dont want that gap you must purchase a shroud that is large enough to reach the back of the reflector.

Honestly i dont know if there are any flicker issues for the 2011 model but from what i read on another evo forum, our model doesnt have drls anymore. Thus eliminating the problems that previous non-ss models had when trying to upgrade to HID.
Thanks for the info, especially on the shroud. I know on their website you have an option for the shroud, so I think I'll email them and ask what the recommend. I was reading that non HID cars have no drls, but HID cars do. Sounds like I won't have to worry about that, which is good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non-SS OEM HID headlight conversion