Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Downpipe for EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:14 AM
MCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downpipe for EVO X

Hey everyone, I just purchased a COBB Downpipe for my 2012 EVO X. I was told that in order to install it, it must be TUNED as well. The reasoning was because the computer will start giving it too much boost if I don't tune it. I'm just trying to figure out if this is true or not. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:30 PM

i had the same question.. im installing a ets dp open dump....wondering if tunning is rqured right away...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 07:22 AM

COBB probably says that bc they have maps for the X that will work properly only if you have an upgraded dp. it would be wise to tune especially if you have other mods to work in conjunction. get the most out of your mods and your money... the COBB maps are pretty good too and now that their Beta maps are out theyre more catered to more mods. good luck!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have the a turbo back exhaust which includes the AMS down pipe on my 2012 evolution and have had no problems what so ever. I did install a wideband and boost gauge as well just for piece of mind.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 09:13 PM
MCH

Originally Posted by LIcz4
COBB probably says that bc they have maps for the X that will work properly only if you have an upgraded dp. it would be wise to tune especially if you have other mods to work in conjunction. get the most out of your mods and your money... the COBB maps are pretty good too and now that their Beta maps are out theyre more catered to more mods. good luck!
well it wasn't cobb that said that. it was the guy at the shop i normally go to, i just want to make sure he's not trying to get money out of me lol
Old Sep 4, 2012, 09:14 PM
MCH

Originally Posted by lippy1306
I have the a turbo back exhaust which includes the AMS down pipe on my 2012 evolution and have had no problems what so ever. I did install a wideband and boost gauge as well just for piece of mind.
did you ever tune it?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by lippy1306
Danger! You should get a tune ASAP, you're missing out on a lot of power
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:27 AM
MCH

just got the downpipe in...come to find out i do NOT need a tune for just the downpipe...once the test pipe is put in i will need to get it tuned. thanks everyone!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:34 AM

Okay The answer is NO. If your question is wondering if your car will still run okay if you install the downpipe or any exhaust, the answer is yes, it will run fine. Like people already posted, the tune will help out with some power and flow, but you won't realistically see that much if you only have an exhaust installed.

The next question is what tune are you looking at running, Cobb AccessPort, or an Open source tune. Answer that question first and you will then have your answer if you want to tune right away.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 04:26 PM
MCH

Originally Posted by Oh My Evo X
Okay The answer is NO. If your question is wondering if your car will still run okay if you install the downpipe or any exhaust, the answer is yes, it will run fine. Like people already posted, the tune will help out with some power and flow, but you won't realistically see that much if you only have an exhaust installed.

The next question is what tune are you looking at running, Cobb AccessPort, or an Open source tune. Answer that question first and you will then have your answer if you want to tune right away.
I am looking to buy a COBB AccessPort as soon as possible!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MCH
I am looking to buy a COBB AccessPort as soon as possible!
Then you can tune whenever you want to. That's the benefit to the AP
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MCH
did you ever tune it?
Haven't been tuned yet. Obviously I'm going to but I want to get all the bolt on's installed first so I only need to get tuned once.

Originally Posted by EvoLai
Danger! You should get a tune ASAP, you're missing out on a lot of power
Of course I am but my wallet can't afford to pay for a tune every time I install a new part.

Last edited by lippy1306; Sep 6, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:21 AM

Just like the guys said above - it will run just fine, but more power is always available with better tuning. Take some pics and let us see the install!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:26 AM

Do i need to get a tune if i have the ams turbo back exhaust, and ams cold air intake?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SUBIIKILR
Do i need to get a tune if i have the ams turbo back exhaust, and ams cold air intake?
Need? No.

Recommended? Yes.

Quick Reply: Downpipe for EVO X