Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo X backseat through access?

Old May 20, 2013, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X backseat through access?

Ive been searching for any related threads all morning regarding the evo backseat's inability to fold down/collapse trying to see if owners experimented on any 'through' access but didnt find anything.

Im an avid fisher and have 1 piece fishing rods. Now, my old man's 09 accord sedan has a small door behind the pulldown armrest in the backseat, which I conveniently use. Im wondering if a similar access can be made for the EvoX since theres really nothing in that middle part of the backseat...V brace, washer reservoir, and battery are on either sides anyway so its just making a hole through the plastic wall cover and the backseat itself. The part behind the armrest pulldown is already pretty thin anyway. Is this possible at all? TIA
Old May 20, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hardest part about doing that is that we have another panel behind the X's seat. The battery goes in that empty space, which is why the trunk is so darn small. I would say if there is a will there is a way, but you will definitely be doing some cutting and hacking to make it happen. The rear seat armrest flips down, maybe an upholstry shop and modify the seat, but you may need to make a door somewhere that will allow you access.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by donzilla2004
The hardest part about doing that is that we have another panel behind the X's seat. The battery goes in that empty space, which is why the trunk is so darn small. I would say if there is a will there is a way, but you will definitely be doing some cutting and hacking to make it happen. The rear seat armrest flips down, maybe an upholstry shop and modify the seat, but you may need to make a door somewhere that will allow you access.
Im gonna have to consult with body shops, upholstery shops like you said, and car stereo/alarm shops, who does a lot of customizations, to get an idea how difficult this might be.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wicked Boldstar
Im gonna have to consult with body shops, upholstery shops like you said, and car stereo/alarm shops, who does a lot of customizations, to get an idea how difficult this might be.
Sounds good. If you make it happen, please share pictures! Good luck!
Old May 21, 2013, 09:35 AM

It won't fit in the backseat at an angle? Isn't the rod flexible?
Old May 22, 2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by jt8217
It won't fit in the backseat at an angle? Isn't the rod flexible?
Nah I have 7' and 8' one-piece rods. I still have my older 2-piece ones that I can bring though so im not at a total loss on this "situation" . So if creating an "access" can be difficult and cause any hindrance to the battery & washer at all, then I wont even attempt to do it.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Dude, there is not much too it. why consult anyone? Pull the plastic out of the truck, take out the rear seat and see what you can do. I think that the X brace might be in the middle where the armrest is, but if not, but a hole in the seat back and keep the armrest up while not using the hole..............Should take all of 10 minutes to find out.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by wicked white14
Dude, there is not much too it. why consult anyone? Pull the plastic out of the truck, take out the rear seat and see what you can do. I think that the X brace might be in the middle where the armrest is, but if not, but a hole in the seat back and keep the armrest up while not using the hole..............Should take all of 10 minutes to find out.
Or buy a beater for when you want to go fishing?
Old May 22, 2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jt8217
Or buy a beater for when you want to go fishing?
Still have my '00 EBP Si which I had originally planned to sell but now with the Evo's trunk situation and poor gas mileage, I might just keep it.
Old May 22, 2013, 05:03 PM

What if you put it in diagonally from the passenger's foot well? How far out the window would it stick if these diagonal situations don't work? I don't think I would ever consider making my own hole to the trunk... seems like a lot of stuff might get in the way.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

fold down the arm rest in the middle of the back seat
the only thing there is a piece of felt fabric. Cut the top and sides so it folds down back into the trunk area.

Use a dremel or maybe a 2" holesaw to cut an even hole in the middle of the plastic trunk liner.

You should be able to pass your rods through the hole and through the middle of the back seat with no problem.

You can easy undo the entire operation by replacing the back piece later if you have to.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 01:25 PM

Sell your "light weight" back seat to someone with a Ralliart or Base Lancer in exchange for their fold down seats.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 03:17 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GGS2011
Sell your "light weight" back seat to someone with a Ralliart or Base Lancer in exchange for their fold down seats.
the X has a brace as well as a battery there

I did relocate my battery to the rear right of trunk, relocated the washer tank, pulled the rear bulkhead cover out, and manage to fit in a JL 13" sub and still have more room than stock .

here's a pic from about halfway through, before new carpet and paneling

Evo X backseat through access?-kefzinxl.jpg

Last edited by ikt; Jan 2, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:18 PM

I love to fish too and I am able to fit my 8ft swimbait rod in my 14x if I put the butt of the rod on the passenger front floor and run the tip of the rod to the back window.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoXXXX
I love to fish too and I am able to fit my 8ft swimbait rod in my 14x if I put the butt of the rod on the passenger front floor and run the tip of the rod to the back window.
Good info...I would have never thought it would fit? Did you have to recline the front seat all the way down..