Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Front JACK POINT mod (cut-out plastic undertray)

Old Jan 28, 2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front JACK POINT mod (cut-out plastic undertray)

This is a quick and straight forward mod to your plastic under tray. It's an alternative to buying those expensive aluminum under tray panel (with the access holes) or even jacking up the side rails one side at a time.

tools:
- jigsaw
- drill bit

Images should be self explanatory. The only thing you need to keep in mind is make sure the corners have very generous radii so there's no stress point to the plastic (think commercial jet windows) which would cause the plastic to tear.

In addition, take time to figure out where the cutting path should be so it retains it's rigidity.

Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Not safe. Asking for the car to fall off the jack lift. Why go through all that trouble with cutting the plastic, why u can just put the jack on the plastic since it is the location of transmission cross beam mount.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:08 PM

[link to other site deleted; critical picture from other thread brought over - Iowa999]
Attached Thumbnails Front JACK POINT mod (cut-out plastic undertray)-00-50.jpg  

Last edited by Iowa999; Jan 31, 2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gqracer
Not safe. Asking for the car to fall off the jack lift.
Relax. No-one said anything about working on the car while it's held up by a floor-jack. That's just a good lifting point. You use a high-lift floor-jack at that spot, put the front jack-stand under the car, just behind the front wheels. Move the floor-jack to the rear, center lift-point under the diff, raise the car, and put the other four jack-stands under the car. This is by far the fastest way to get your car onto four jack-stands for work. You do the front first because, if you lift the rear first, you'll never get the floor-jack under the nose of the car.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Relax. No-one said anything about working on the car while it's held up by a floor-jack. That's just a good lifting point. You use a high-lift floor-jack at that spot, put the front jack-stand under the car, just behind the front wheels. Move the floor-jack to the rear, center lift-point under the diff, raise the car, and put the other four jack-stands under the car. This is by far the fastest way to get your car onto four jack-stands for work. You do the front first because, if you lift the rear first, you'll never get the floor-jack under the nose of the car.
^That's the way to do it. This is my approach with the cut-out mod and Race Ramps (pls correct me if I'm wrong). It's important that everyone agrees on this since this is a safety issue.

1. drive up onto race ramps, chock the front wheel
2. jack up the rear differential, put jack stands at the rear jack points
3. jack up the front at the engine/tranny brace (using the cut-out mod or remove the plastic tray), chock the rear wheel
4. remove race ramps and replace with jack stands at the front jack points
5. lower the floor jack, reposition it at another location other than where you're working on as a '5th jack stand point' as an added safety measure.

* I use RaceRamps a lot since I do all my oil changes

Last edited by dkorr; Jan 31, 2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep. If your car is too low to use my method of lifting the nose first and the tail second, you must use ramps or boards to get the jack under the nose. I had to do that with the 2G DSM, but my Evo is not lowered, so no boards or ramps are required.

The key (that both of us are emphasizing) is that you don't take off the wheels or get under the car until it's on jackstands. It would be terribly ironic if a person who owns a car called "Evolution" were to end up winning a Darwin Award.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Yep. If your car is too low to use my method of lifting the nose first and the tail second, you must use ramps or boards to get the jack under the nose. I had to do that with the 2G DSM, but my Evo is not lowered, so no boards or ramps are required.

The key (that both of us are emphasizing) is that you don't take off the wheels or get under the car until it's on jackstands. It would be terribly ironic if a person who owns a car called "Evolution" were to end up winning a Darwin Award.