Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

EVO X MR DRL re-pin (for those having issues with LED's)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVO X MR DRL re-pin (for those having issues with LED's)

As I've read there are quite a few of us out there with factory HID's that have -14vdc going to the DRLs. This limits what we can buy or install. I did like many others and ordered LED's that were made to be bi-polar (pos or neg. polarity). For some reason they kept blowing on me. I couldn't get more than 1 day of use out of them. I figured it had more to do with the negative polarity than anything else. I've read about loose grounds but this is a plug and jack setup so that didn't sound right since there was no place for a ground to be tightened.

Being kind of cheap and not liking to be limited on my choices... I decided to consider cutting my harness and reverse the wires. But for some reason having a chopped harness bothers me more than rolling fenders swapping turbos etc. It just seems ghetto to me.

So without further adieu..... This is how to do it right.....

So before we start these are the tools I used. Two jewelers screw drivers

This is one of my cheap ebay bulbs I bought for under $5/pair.

Note: The DRL plug is next to the large plug on the headlight. You can find it easily by following it back from the bulb cover. It has about 6 wires coming out of the back of it even though we only use two. You can pull it apart by squeezing the clips and pulling on the plug not the wires.

Starting on the Driver's Side we will be swapping the light blue and the black wires.

gently pry up the retaining clip and remove it. Don't lose it you'll need to put it back in when your done. This keeps the pin locks in place.

In side here there are small plastic tabs that hold your pins in place. They rest up against the metal pins inside. Very carefully you're going to slide your smallest screwdriver in there to lift them away from the pin. DO NOT put any pressure on these guys cause they will break. You literally just slide your screw driver in there. You won't even feel them snap open.

When your screw driver is in there you can then just pull the pin out of the rear of the plug.

Now do the same for the other wire.....

Swap their positions and push them back in.....

Be sure to place smooth side out. You'll actually feel a very light snap when they are seated. If need be, you can push them in with one of your screwdrivers.

Be sure to put the retainer back in. Snap everything back together swap out your bulbs and test fire.....

Much of the same on the passenger side but with the water bottle in the way it took one extra step.... And here we will be swapping Black and Yellow wires.

Because the water bottle was in the way I couldn't pull the wire out by hand so I used the small one to release the pin and the slightly larger one to push the pin out.

All done and working. And best of all no wires were harmed in the making of this film ha ha ha

Last edited by Bike Mech; Mar 30, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joseph_mills (Feb 19, 2017)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting, might put Drl fuse back in and try this out. Thanks for the guide
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:14 PM

Yeah I was almost there too. Figured if this didn't work, I was gonna pull them or hone out the sockets and epoxy in some H3 HID's ha ha ha.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to do this a month ago. Removed harnesses I just could not get the pins holding the wires to release so I gave up. I've had these LEDs sitting here since December now. Anyways I may try it again with your instructions. Are you running these without resistors?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 01:58 PM

correct, no resistors
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
To make life a wee bit easier - that 'water bottle' just lifts straight up off the bracket. You can just lay it to one side (not even disconnect the hose)
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:57 PM

Im about to install my LED DRLs today. I hope I dont have to go through this process if they dont work upon installation. Either way, good write up OP.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
To make life a wee bit easier - that 'water bottle' just lifts straight up off the bracket. You can just lay it to one side (not even disconnect the hose)

wow ha ha ha I should have looked Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

i attempted to do this earlier, i didnt have a light blue aqua looking wire u had. i had real blue and black, i tried switching those but that didnt work. and my passenger side didnt even have yellow.

PASSENGER

DRIVER
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks so much Bike Mech! All I wanted to do was get the LEDs in without harming wires and you found the way! Lol. Originally I was trying the other harness because it had no power until the car is on and the parking brake is down (yes I'm too lazy to unplug the battery). This took like 15 min. Awesome. Hopefully they last without resistors. I don't really want to tap into the wires to put in resistors. Thanks again.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by total0wnage
i attempted to do this earlier, i didnt have a light blue aqua looking wire u had. i had real blue and black, i tried switching those but that didnt work. and my passenger side didnt even have yellow.

PASSENGER

DRIVER
Is it a 2013 or 2014? Those models have DRL wires with switched polarity which is why polarized LED bulbs won't work without swapping the wires.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:48 PM

Just did this yesterday on my 2013 and it worked great and was fairly easy great diy op!!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting, I've been running the same LED DRL bulbs for the last 2 years and never had an issue. Good post though.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LouDogOG
Is it a 2013 or 2014? Those models have DRL wires with switched polarity which is why polarized LED bulbs won't work without swapping the wires.
i have a 2009..
Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by total0wnage

PASSENGER

DRIVER

Edit: On a 2009 you shouldn't have a problem.... On the 2012 and newer, Mitsu swapped the wires making it a -12vdc rather than a +12vdc. So LED bulbs won't turn on for us. Unless we buy LED's that are -12vdc capable. We also run into problems with burning out regular bulbs.

put your finger in the other plug. you should feel the two male pins (my headlights only had two pins installed.

This way you'll know which two colors to swap. Sorry I would have figured they'd keep the harnesses the same.

Last edited by Bike Mech; Apr 4, 2014 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: EVO X MR DRL re-pin (for those having issues with LED's)