Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Custom Headliner Install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Custom Headliner Install

Not quite sure if this has been done already but I've had a few people ask me how i did my install for my headliner so i figured I'd leave it here for all to see

So you wanna start by removing all 6 pillars (a,b,c) on both side of the interior.
Next you want to remove the handle don't know what their actually called
There should be two pins at the rear that you have to pop out be careful with these their fragile and don't lose them or the headliner won't sit right.
Also the domelight(middle light) has two screws and then it just comes out and map light(front one) should just pop out when you pull on it
Then remove the screws for the sun visors and the part with the clips you need to push a flat in on both sides otherwise it won't come out(this was a pain in the ***)
After that the headliner should fall. Position the seats laid back and turn the headliner so that the inside(the side you normally see) and the top is faced toward the windshield
Makes it easier if you remove the drivers seat and if you have a quick release take that off too

Once you have the headliner out and in a clean wind free area line your material up how you want it. Then get your 3M high strength vinyl spray glue and and apply it to both the material and the headliner. Do one half at a time and work from the middle to the outside
Once both side are done let it sit for about 24hrs for the glue to fully dry.
Once everything is back in enjoy your new headliner that you installed yourself

hopefully this helps those who were interested in doing this type of interior modication.

heres a few pictures of how mine turned out

Old Oct 3, 2016, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know that removing the headliner is a straight forward task. Good how to! I am more encouraged to take my headliner out now.

Were you able to take out the headliner without creasing/folding it? Also, that's galaxy fabric right?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks nice. Doing a headliner is not that complicated just takes some time and finesse. I put a black suede headliner in my 98 GSX and I'm getting ready to replace the headliner in my fathers Land Rover Discovery 2.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Props on the design. Where did you order the material from?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 08:56 AM

That is dope! I want exactly that one but with lights on the stars.
It looks really nice!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
That isn't my style but that looks great!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:31 PM

Not Bad. Looking to find ideas for what i may do with mine.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 06:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good, thanks for the write up! Now you have me thinking about what to do with mine, lol.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have heard indifferent stories for the headliner based on other cars.

Nice hatchback with the wheels stuffed in lol
Old May 25, 2017, 08:18 AM

Where did you get that headliner done? Looks awesome
Old May 27, 2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Unrecognizedevo
Not quite sure if this has been done already but I've had a few people ask me how i did my install for my headliner so i figured I'd leave it here for all to see

So you wanna start by removing all 6 pillars (a,b,c) on both side of the interior.
There should be two pins at the rear that you have to pop out be careful with these their fragile and don't lose them or the headliner won't sit right.
Also the domelight(middle light) has two screws and then it just comes out and map light(front one) should just pop out when you pull on it
Then remove the screws for the sun visors and the part with the clips you need to push a flat in on both sides otherwise it won't come out(this was a pain in the ***)
After that the headliner should fall. Position the seats laid back and turn the headliner so that the inside(the side you normally see) and the top is faced toward the windshield
Makes it easier if you remove the drivers seat and if you have a quick release take that off too

Once you have the headliner out and in a clean wind free area line your material up how you want it. Then get your 3M high strength vinyl spray glue and and apply it to both the material and the headliner. Do one half at a time and work from the middle to the outside

hopefully this helps those who were interested in doing this type of interior modication.

Looks great! How much did you pay for this?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Unrecognizedevo

how much fabric did you have to use?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice work!