EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X How Tos / Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-how-tos-installations-260/)
-   -   Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-how-tos-installations/374707-evo-x-boost-gauge-install-no-splicing-no-firewall-drilling-pics-vid-clean-hell.html)

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 02:15 PM

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell

12 Attachment(s)
Alright to start off this install uses No splicing--No drilling of firewall--And people with big hands can do this:lol:

The unit ill be installing is a Defi White Racer Gauge Standalone Requires No Control Unit, purchase of this gauge comes with everything needed to finish this install{thumbup}

WARNING : DEFI UNIT COMES WITH A LONG WIRING HARNESS OTHER GAUGES MIGHT NOT BEABLE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS ROUTE BASED ON WIRING LENGTH

Now just about everything is explained in the pictures for ease.{pcfreak}

First off open the cover under the ADC control panel and you'll see the fuses i used. Just take out the fuse, wire cut and expose some wire and tap into the fuse slot just by inserting the exposed wire into it then put the fuse back in.Unfortunately Ive had no luck with the front fuse box to create a switch illumination so it turns on by headlights. So either have it dimmed using the white wire, or if you want it brighter don't use the white wire at all
Attachment 299117

Now in the same spot start taking off the trim, but first pull a section of the weather stripping off to make this easier don't worry it'll go right back on just remember how it was when you took it off as some of the flaps on the weather stripping belongs under the trim.First start with the hood latch trip and pull it til its somewhat lose then the door sill trim just pull it up it should release. Then as the pic shows what direction and where the holders are located.
Attachment 299118
Attachment 299119
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/Zappa31/3x.jpg

Once that is set and done. Take a closer look by the carpet just about right where the latch and sill trim connect pull up the top carpet piece and you'll find a grommet piece.{thumbup} Pull it off then drill or poke a decent hole don't worry as the rubber will expand and close your holeCaution with this grommet as its much weaker then the fender wall grommets, :D Now leave that for now and we head to the fender wall.
Attachment 299120

Now this isn't to hard just take off the tabs on the fender wall. a flathead usually does the trick. Pull it out a bit and take a peak in and you'll notice another black grommet. Pull that out drill a hole same thing will happen with expansion but you just take a pliers expand the hole run the wire through then let it expand back and it'll hold it nice and tight. Now run the wire through the grommet and give a good amount to reach your gauge.
Attachment 299121
Run the wire through the hole til it reaches the other side and pull it out.
Attachment 299122
Then should end up looking like this.
Attachment 299123
Now for the last part this is how i did it keeping the fender wall open. take the other side of the sensor wire and route it up the fender and up-to the hinge right by the hood. Then get up there and route again in the fender til you reach in-front of the fuse box. Then again just route it under that last piece and should look like this.
Attachment 299124
Cut the vac tube about right in the middle then use the T Joint with the horizontal fittings reconnect the hose back then use the last fitting thats perpendicular facing attach to the vac tube going to the sensor, Also i prob would get some clamps or zip-tie to hold it just because, although Defis T Joints are Expanded at the tips to hold the tube pretty damn good its already pretty tight, but you just spent $35k whats a dollar or two.:lol:
End engine result and i just put the sensor in-between to keep it there til i find a good place to mount it.
Attachment 299125
*Updated My Location For Sensor w/ red ziptie (camlight made it orange bleh)*
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/Zappa31/001.jpg

End result. This pic shows with white wire not used. As you can see its pretty bright, compared to the gauge cluster
Attachment 299126
Attachment 299127
This pic shows with white wire used. For some reason the camera registers this as blue color It is not blue at all trust me, just a camera reaction to dimmed colors
Attachment 299128

Movie clip with white wire not used.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...Picture010.jpg

Movie clip with white wire used. Its not blue the camera just for some reasons turns the color blue as it cannot register the color when its dimmed
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...1709_NEW-1.jpg

Enjoy:D {thumbup} :mitsu:

gtrskyline34 Oct 11, 2008 04:03 PM

Nice work, now I can install my boost gauge, how did you mount it on the steering column?

RREvoX08 Oct 11, 2008 04:09 PM

that was way to much work man

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 04:15 PM

Not sure what your saying is to much work. Install was quick, taking pictures and writing all that up took forever, but im nice like that.:lol:

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 04:18 PM

Change that i used Loctite Power Grab 6lb holding tape, cut it in pieces to make the Defi podstand points. Worked very nice tape wasnt bulky like some peoples tape they used this is also clear tape. So no sight of the tape usder the pod holds really nice i tried moving it with a lil force and drove around bumpy areas no movement at all. This tape is resistant to all weather conditions.

beetle_orange Oct 11, 2008 05:35 PM

i think what he was saying was that some have installed the boost gauge without having to remove those interior pieces.

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 05:45 PM

Ah, well ive just searched most DIY forums on this and not many had very clean routes, either involved going through the firewall, vents, or just wires hanging out, and etc.. The trim pieces are pretty cheapy stuff they just pop right off and the whole install i could do in 10 mins at most. It also works for both sides of the car. Just was offering some clean installs.

RREvoX08 Oct 11, 2008 06:01 PM

i just ran a very small wire from the boost controller through the stearing wheel well to the light switch with a clamp connector

ashyking Oct 11, 2008 06:03 PM

plastic clips?

Originally Posted by beetle_orange (Post 6220637)
i think what he was saying was that some have installed the boost gauge without having to remove those interior pieces.

those plastic clips are fragile, too.
i had to use restraint to pull mine off without damaging them.
in all, the install went well.

RREvoX08 Oct 11, 2008 06:04 PM

im not downing you or anything it just seems like you went the long route on this, i brought my boost tube right through that rubber grommet behind the steering wheel, small puncture self sealing no mess or anything very clean and a straight line from the t,lol

cchan3761 Oct 11, 2008 06:14 PM

Thanks so much for doing this writeup! I been wanting to do it but this way doesn't seem so bad!

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RREvoX08 (Post 6220707)
im not downing you or anything it just seems like you went the long route on this, i brought my boost tube right through that rubber grommet behind the steering wheel, small puncture self sealing no mess or anything very clean and a straight line from the t,lol

Ah this is a standalone, boost tube is ran from sensor in engine. This write up its power wires to fuse, the sensor wire from gauge to sensor box in engine, then boost from sensor box to boost tap in. No boost tube has to be run from inside the car to the engine with Defi standalones. Yeah i saw the steering wheel route but i rather puncture a cheap hidden grommet then a steering wheel's grommet:updown:

RREvoX08 Oct 11, 2008 06:48 PM

alas, i didnt realize it was a defi stand alone, my apologies good sir..

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ashyking (Post 6220705)
those plastic clips are fragile, too.
i had to use restraint to pull mine off without damaging them.
in all, the install went well.

which plastic clips? inside the fender wall or the trim?

beetle_orange Oct 11, 2008 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by RREvoX08 (Post 6220833)
alas, i didnt realize it was a defi stand alone, my apologies good sir..

excuse the ignorance but arent there just mechanical and electrical boost gauge? what is this standalone?

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by RREvoX08 (Post 6220833)
alas, i didn't realize it was a defi stand alone, my apologies good sir..

Oh np i wasn't upset. Yea just realized you had a mechanical , so yea with your kinda gauge its a long route for you as its a mechanical Autometer isn't it. So running a boost tube all that length would be worthless :lol: So your way would be needed for that as nobody wants to run 5+ ft of boost tube through the car.:lol:

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by beetle_orange (Post 6220845)
excuse the ignorance but aren't there just mechanical and electrical boost gauge? what is this standalone?

Attachment 299116
Standalone is electrical. It requires no control unit. And comes with a sensor box just for the gauge alone a small black box which a sensor wire runs from the gauge to the sensor box then the boost tube runs from the sensor box to the boost tap in. Not a standalone electrical gauge will require the use of a control box you can usually search it.
http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defish...ges/daisy2.jpg
Non-standalone is nice as all the sensors run from the control unit and the gauges can link to each gauge then route to the control unit. You basically can hook up a boost, egt, temp together then only run one wire to the control unit and all three gauges will read from their own sensor in the control unit. Can also record and playback everything. Also can set up warnings on every gauge and buzz at you when something is going beyond its point.{thumbup} Sorry if you already knew this i got carried away :lol:

ZWingerRyRy Oct 11, 2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by cchan3761 (Post 6220736)
Thanks so much for doing this writeup! I been wanting to do it but this way doesn't seem so bad!

Np, just providing alternatives to other routes.{thumbup}

goevox Oct 11, 2008 11:41 PM

you could have hooked it up to the cig lighter wires in the center console, there is power and ground, and for the turbo line there is a firewall access next to the turbo. install takes about 20 mins.

ZWingerRyRy Oct 12, 2008 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by goevox (Post 6221412)
you could have hooked it up to the cig lighter wires in the center console, there is power and ground, and for the turbo line there is a firewall access next to the turbo. install takes about 20 mins.

Orange wire was hooked upto cig/acc
Black was grounded to a bolt
White was hazard
Red was power door locks
Tube is ran from the sensor box not the gauge, its a standalone.
Only the sensor wire from Gauge>Sensor Box was routed to the engine.

beetle_orange Oct 12, 2008 08:20 PM

thanks for the explanation, i meant to post here what i posted in your similar thread.

cchan3761 Oct 20, 2008 10:14 AM

I plan on installing my gauge this weekend, I already have my V1 using the cig/12v for my powersource. Do you think adding the defi gauge would take too much power from it? Here's my V1 hardwired
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&postcount=22

ZWingerRyRy Oct 20, 2008 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by cchan3761 (Post 6252733)
I plan on installing my gauge this weekend, I already have my V1 using the cig/12v for my powersource. Do you think adding the defi gauge would take too much power from it? Here's my V1 hardwired
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&postcount=22

Depending on how much is taken by the V1 but a gauge doesnt use **** for power its only 120mA x2 + 2mA(milliamp) and 1 amp = 1,000 milliamp lol so a gauge has 2 wires that both consume 120mA and 1 wire (illumination) uses 2mA, note these are max consumption not meaning its always consuming that much. So 242mA its less then 1 Amp being consumed max, when most those wires are 7-30amp i dont think youll have any problems. While a car battery is 12v and alot of the fuses aren't being used in some evo packages(sunroof,rear wiper, and etc) it has plenty of room for powering accessories. A V1 uses 425 mA maximum by the looks of the specs.

cchan3761 Oct 21, 2008 08:17 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm a bio major not an engineering major so I dont know anything about circuits and electronics except simple things

cchan3761 Oct 24, 2008 05:47 PM

Instead of using your arm to push the wire up the fender, I went the other way. I ran the wire from the top of the fender and then ran it down (gravity is my friend :updown: ) other than that everything was straight forward from the diy, thanks again ZWingerRyRy! Also to steinvb12 for an idea for gauge placement

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/...bdc10224_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/...b7c20b34_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/...78e7fea4_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/...6de1eec2_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/...65efe94e_b.jpg

Also, why does most people (I think all?) put the boost gauge on the right side?

ZWingerRyRy Oct 25, 2008 04:09 AM

lol dont know usually i drive with left hand so i felt i would be blocking my view of it somewhat :updown: Congrats on the install glad everything worked out for ya. Did it take you very long? someone was commenting that it was to much work for a gauge.

steinvb12 Oct 25, 2008 08:33 AM

chan - looks good!

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy (Post 6272211)
lol dont know usually i drive with left hand so i felt i would be blocking my view of it somewhat :updown: Congrats on the install glad everything worked out for ya. Did it take you very long? someone was commenting that it was to much work for a gauge.

It always takes a little longer when working on new cars. You need to find the best way to run all the wires all over again. If I had to do it again, it would take much less time, since I know where everything is now. {thumbup}

It's just a learning curve for the new car...

cchan3761 Oct 25, 2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by steinvb12 (Post 6272585)
chan - looks good!

It always takes a little longer when working on new cars. You need to find the best way to run all the wires all over again. If I had to do it again, it would take much less time, since I know where everything is now. {thumbup}

It's just a learning curve for the new car...

^Thanks, and I agree with steinvb12, it took a little longer than I thought but it wasn't too long as I was getting familiar with the car

wongck Oct 28, 2008 03:08 PM

Where did you order yours from and how much did it cost? Cheapest one I found was from Edo Performance

ZWingerRyRy Oct 28, 2008 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by wongck (Post 6284893)
Where did you order yours from and how much did it cost? Cheapest one I found was from Edo Performance

cheapest ive found and where i bought was evasivemotorsports $161 $9 for shipping

cchan3761 Oct 31, 2008 10:40 AM

I also bought mine from Evasive and they are really good at shipping it quickly

JDW1479 Nov 6, 2008 07:45 AM

+2 for Evaisive Motorsports, odered mine this past Monday, should be here tomorrow. Thanks Evaisive!

evo_q8 Nov 12, 2008 10:45 AM

ok now the pics dont show!! :(

cchan3761 Nov 13, 2008 08:20 AM

Which pics? The ones from the OP is still showing for me...

JDW1479 Nov 13, 2008 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed my boost gauged per the directions in this thread.

Here are the pics before and after

Attachment 298839

Attachment 298840

goofygrin Nov 13, 2008 10:35 AM

Looks good JJ. you want to do mine next!?

JDW1479 Nov 13, 2008 01:41 PM

Sure, tell me when!

hattackk Nov 13, 2008 01:45 PM

awesome

hlm Nov 13, 2008 08:56 PM

Nice writeup, looks sweet also.

cchan3761 Nov 14, 2008 05:11 PM

Finally some body else putting the boost gauge on the left side! GJ JDW1479, looks clean

ZWingerRyRy Nov 14, 2008 08:17 PM

Nice to see my write-up being used {thumbup} Good Jobs :D

Evo Andy Nov 15, 2008 01:08 PM

I saved this linky,great job and awesome write up/pix.I have yet to install my Boost Gauge. I want the same BG as you installed and would like it just left off center like shown (just like my old STi).

cchan3761 Nov 16, 2008 10:51 AM

^ If you use this write up, you will have no problems at all! I'm sure you can't wait to install yours {thumbup}

jdmsneakerhead Nov 23, 2008 02:25 PM

sweet i juss got my mr and i'll be using this write up!!!

nine Nov 23, 2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by RREvoX08 (Post 6220702)
i just ran a very small wire from the boost controller through the stearing wheel well to the light switch with a clamp connector

:rolleyes: Theres no hole behind the stearing wheel well, just a solid metal sheet with the stearing pole pointing downward into the bottom of the drivetrain. I had to buy extra long tubeing and wire to run this boost guage. I remeber on my VIII it was so easy just tap into the headlight wire and run the boost hose behind the glove box and wallah a little hole behind the intake mani. 30 mins tops, this install is takeing me weeks to do. :rant:

JDW1479 Nov 23, 2008 10:28 PM

^Should have just stuck with the original directions, this took me maybe 2 hours to complete with 30 minutes of that staring at my engine bay figuring out where to mount the Defi Boost Sensor. I have never installed any gauge up till that point.

Boostd4 Nov 25, 2008 02:14 PM

Great method. I used your write up to install my gauge this weekend. Smooth as silk.

Now if someone will just bring out a decent gauge pod...{pcfreak}

ZWingerRyRy Nov 25, 2008 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by nine (Post 6385428)
:rolleyes: Theres no hole behind the stearing wheel well, just a solid metal sheet with the stearing pole pointing downward into the bottom of the drivetrain. I had to buy extra long tubeing and wire to run this boost guage. I remeber on my VIII it was so easy just tap into the headlight wire and run the boost hose behind the glove box and wallah a little hole behind the intake mani. 30 mins tops, this install is takeing me weeks to do. :rant:

This is for Defi Boost Gauge standalone a boost tubing does not run from the Boost Gauge it runs from the sensor which is located in the engine bay. Dont comment bad results when your not installing the product used for this write-up.

ZWingerRyRy Nov 25, 2008 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres Where I located my Sensor just used a Ziptie its red, cam light turned it orange :p Attachment 298757

evofan_08 Nov 25, 2008 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed my gauge from this thread and here is the result, great thread. Any suggestions on placement? I'm not really sold on my location yet.
Attachment 298754
Attachment 298755
Attachment 298756

ZWingerRyRy Nov 25, 2008 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So far its been right side or left side steering wheel :p which is good for hiding wires behind steering wheel. Your spot might be a little harder to hide the wires. My other spot i might try for my next gauges is the hubby under the climate controls as the ceiling of it is flat. Just flip the mount and stick it to the ceiling of the hubby for that.
Something like this but a little cleaner looking for my next gauges. But can be used for boost gauge also.
Attachment 298753

evofan_08 Nov 25, 2008 10:17 PM

I kinda want them to be visible from outside the car.

ZWingerRyRy Nov 25, 2008 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by evofan_08 (Post 6394453)
I kinda want them to be visible from outside the car.

The gauge to be visible? Well your spot works for that, but steering wheel also does just not to the point of visible in the windshield. Im just picky and visible wires would bug me:lol: I think i saw someone route the wires through the vent up there, never tried it but just a idea.

Tunerhead Nov 26, 2008 09:16 AM

Very nice install! :thumbup:

SIS3ON Jan 12, 2009 11:34 AM

ZWingerRyRy,

Thanks for the great write-up. I followed your step-by-step instructions and everything worked out great. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings with everyone in the Evo X community.

here is my Defi Boost Gauge installed:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/...42fd4491_b.jpg

boostin20 Jan 15, 2009 08:12 AM

Great write up, I will be doing this shortly. I can't believe they didn't put a stock boost guage in.

kingu Jan 16, 2009 04:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another satisfied customer here :D I thought about making another thread and just referencing this one, but I thought everyone would be better served with additional information in this one...hope you don't mind. :beer:

I used this install for my prosport boost gauge and it worked out well. A little "heads up" for anyone installing a prosport gauge using this guide...you will have to splice some wire into the harness for it to be long enough. No big deal though. I soldered the power connections and covered them with heat shrink tube, but I just twisted the sensor connectors together then covered with heat shrink.

For prosport gauges the orange wire hooked into an ignition only fuse (I used the cig lighter) will make the gauge light up red. The white wire will make it white. If you want it white during the day and red at night, tap the white wire to the cig lighter and the orange wire to the headlight wire in the steering wheel column harness. I didn't do this myself...the "white" has too much of a blue tint to it so I went with constant red. Tap the red wire into the door lock fuse and the black to the bolt by the interior fuse box. I used bussman add-a-fuse links.

Also, since I haven't been able to find an upper column cover with a built-in gauge pod for the Evo X, I decided to make one myself. I used a dremmel, some epoxie sculpt (two part epoxy), sandpaper and some Duplicolor bumper paint. Pics below.

Once again, thanks for the great install write up. This is definitely the cleanest way to install your gauges.

Attachment 128158

Attachment 128159

Attachment 128160

boostin20 Jan 17, 2009 07:44 AM

kingu, what vacuum line did you tap for the guage? I just ordered the prosport boost guage as well.

kingu Jan 17, 2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by boostin20 (Post 6580907)
kingu, what vacuum line did you tap for the guage? I just ordered the prosport boost guage as well.

I put the tee in the same spot as the original poster. I would make a run to the parts store and get some better hose though, the hose that comes with the prosport gauge is kind of crappy.

boostin20 Jan 17, 2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by kingu (Post 6582249)
I put the tee in the same spot as the original poster. I would make a run to the parts store and get some better hose though, the hose that comes with the prosport gauge is kind of crappy.

Yeah, I don't like that clear hose either. I was a little confused before because from the pic it looked like the original poster was saying to attach it at the coolant plug on the head. I opened the hood and decided I am teeing into the bov hose.

ej257gd Jan 26, 2009 11:57 AM

Where can I purchase bussman add-a-fuse links ?

Thank you

dierr Jan 29, 2009 08:29 PM

nice write up. that is very similar to what i did.

kingu Feb 3, 2009 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ej257gd (Post 6614675)
Where can I purchase bussman add-a-fuse links ?

Thank you

got mine at autozone

linjy2 Feb 8, 2009 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
good write up, here is a pic of my guage mounted.

Attachment 297948

JaCe Feb 9, 2009 01:02 AM

Nice thread :) Inspiring me!

Yousef Feb 16, 2009 11:58 PM

I need help with Prosport gauge in the following thread, anyone plz
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...er-wiring.html

Pashencia Feb 17, 2009 01:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
In Russia one guy do the next installation, see attached files

snoar Feb 17, 2009 09:51 AM

^ now that's a nice install

Grendelrt Feb 17, 2009 03:54 PM

Now that is the way to go!! Wonder where he got the suede dash as well.

Originally Posted by Pashencia (Post 6702526)
In Russia one guy do the next installation, see attached files

otbEVO Feb 17, 2009 05:12 PM

Yeah... the suede dash is baller for sure. Looks nice though. Still waiting for pillar pods... sometime this century would be nice!

alex3dworld Feb 19, 2009 12:03 PM

Looks to me like a russian submarine
Uggly!!!!
if i want that leather stuff i better go for a cadilack

alex3dworld Feb 19, 2009 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy (Post 6220867)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/Zappa31/Dir1.jpg
Standalone is electrical. It requires no control unit. And comes with a sensor box just for the gauge alone a small black box which a sensor wire runs from the gauge to the sensor box then the boost tube runs from the sensor box to the boost tap in. Not a standalone electrical gauge will require the use of a control box you can usually search it.
http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defish...ges/daisy2.jpg
Non-standalone is nice as all the sensors run from the control unit and the gauges can link to each gauge then route to the control unit. You basically can hook up a boost, egt, temp together then only run one wire to the control unit and all three gauges will read from their own sensor in the control unit. Can also record and playback everything. Also can set up warnings on every gauge and buzz at you when something is going beyond its point.{thumbup} Sorry if you already knew this i got carried away :lol:

ABOUT ELECTRICALS.....
HOW MANY GAUGES ARE EASY TAPable IN OUR EVO X?
ANY GENERAL GRAPHIC SHOWING FROM WHERE TAP EACH ONE?

shyong Feb 19, 2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by alex3dworld (Post 6713909)
Looks to me like a russian submarine
Uggly!!!!
if i want that leather stuff i better go for a cadilack

You're an idiot. Tell that to Porsche and Ferrari. :rolleyes:

alex3dworld Feb 19, 2009 02:51 PM

you shyong need some spank!
i hope you just call people idiot behind a computer.

anyway....

so... that russian piece of crap interior looks to you like a ferrari?

would you really like to wrap around our beatifull interior with stupid leather?

alex3dworld Feb 19, 2009 02:54 PM

i found these:

http://roadraceengineering.com/evox/...-ecuwiring.htm

does anybody have some pictures of defi control unit sensors taping the ECU? do we need any wiring mesh?

Brewster Feb 24, 2009 08:25 AM

for the life of me i couldn't get the hose down through that little opening, and i was scared to drill in to the car for my guage, so right now my guage is just electrical taped to my steering wheel. :( I don't want to screw into anything, im thinking some sort of adheasive caulking. any ideas?

ZWingerRyRy Mar 7, 2009 04:02 PM

I didnt drill into the steering wheel i just used adhesive double side tape, Its still holding to this day it wont even budge, stayed in garage through winter also, didnt release.

skylinegtr35 Mar 7, 2009 04:10 PM

there are orange, red, white, and a black ground. Where do I connect the ground?

Bear.914 Mar 7, 2009 05:05 PM

0k used this to smooth out the install and everything you said is correct +5

ZWingerRyRy Mar 7, 2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by skylinegtr35 (Post 6781448)
there are orange, red, white, and a black ground. Where do I connect the ground?

There should be a bolt inside the console fuse box to use for grounding.

skylinegtr35 Mar 7, 2009 05:42 PM

Is it that bolt right under the fuse box?

Bear.914 Mar 7, 2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by skylinegtr35 (Post 6781688)
Is it that bolt right under the fuse box?

yup, its like a 14 I belive.

Real simple install and just need to find a good mounting spot...Might just fab. a a-pillar guage since the airbag is on the top of the a pillar

aftershock141 Mar 9, 2009 04:52 AM

Install definitely helped. I did mine this weekend with no troubles at all.

I wish they would've provided a longer vacuum line though so I could've mounted the sensor where I wanted to. I'll be picking one up sometime this week so I can do it properly.

gibsonsg Mar 15, 2009 06:55 PM

I just installed Prosport electrical boost gauge. Have everything installed and working. i just can't figure out have to wire it so that it turns orange when the lights are on. I have the red on door locks, white on the cig. lighter. and black grounded. Where have people been putting the orange wire? I have heard that you need to splice into the harness coming out of the steering column but i have no idea how to do this. Please HELP!!

reggiesd Mar 16, 2009 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by gibsonsg (Post 6813594)
I just installed Prosport electrical boost gauge. Have everything installed and working. i just can't figure out have to wire it so that it turns orange when the lights are on. I have the red on door locks, white on the cig. lighter. and black grounded. Where have people been putting the orange wire? I have heard that you need to splice into the harness coming out of the steering column but i have no idea how to do this. Please HELP!!

this isn't probably that helpful..but you probably wire it to something that turns on when you turn your lights on (eg. lights for a/c knobs, dash lights, etc.). you just find the wire for those and wire the orange wire there.

kingu Mar 16, 2009 06:13 AM

someone mentioned splicing it into the "ASC" button...it only lights up when the headlights are on. of course this is a good solution only if yours is located to the left of the steering wheel...i believe some are located in the center console.

gibsonsg Mar 16, 2009 10:31 AM

This is probably a very stupid question but how would you splice into the ASC. I mounted my gauge on the left of the column and the ASC is on the left so this would be the best place.

kingu Mar 16, 2009 11:48 AM

i'm not sure which wire it is, i've never even looked behind the asc button. i have mine running red all of the time. the white has a blue tint to it and doesn't match the dash gauges at all (IMO).

if i get a chance i'll look tonight and see if i can figure it out.

gibsonsg Mar 16, 2009 12:52 PM

How do you have yours wired to be red all the time. I tried wiring mine to be always red but then the gauge wouldn't turn off even when the car was off and the key was removed. I had red to door locks, orange to cig lighter, black to ground, and white unused.

evosoh Mar 20, 2009 01:50 AM

Great job

shaggadelic Apr 3, 2009 07:19 PM

just did this on my friends evo x mr and it was super easy

ZWingerRyRy Apr 3, 2009 07:21 PM

Great glad i can help =) If anybody needs anyother write ups ive done just about every bolt on lol. Lemme know ill take the time to go step by step.

REDEVO08 Apr 5, 2009 07:19 PM

http://imgfreehost.com/out.php?i27342_cp11018082201.jpg

Clark_Kent Apr 18, 2009 04:11 PM

Thanks for this write up. I just finished it up with a buddy of mine. It only took about 2 hours with a run to AutoZone.

EndlessRed May 2, 2009 12:54 AM

tip for those that want the dimmer function on the gauge to work with the car (for the defi gauges) or color change (for prosport):

tap the wire that's responsible for the dimming (white for defi, not sure for prosport as i have a defi gauge) into the GREEN-WHITE (green w/ white stripe) wire on the ASC button. for those that has the SSS package, the GREEN-WHITE wire is on the leveling switch as well. either one works. i believe there's a GREEN-BLACK wire on the buttons as well, but that's most likely a ground, and thus won't work. make sure you got the right wire.

those that has the ASC button on the center console, you might have to dig for the harness, but it should be there, and should still work even if it's not plugged into a button.

alex3dworld May 11, 2009 12:22 PM

Humm....this is so wierd.
i'm installing the perring gauge package
it cames with prosport performance premium series.
i'm doing first the Boost gauge
everything looks good but it never shutdown. is always on
what do you think guys is going on?

Dakoop May 11, 2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by alex3dworld (Post 7047583)
Humm....this is so wierd.
i'm installing the perring gauge package
it cames with prosport performance premium series.
i'm doing first the Boost gauge
everything looks good but it never shutdown. is always on
what do you think guys is going on?

Pick a different power source. One that switches off with the key.

alex3dworld May 11, 2009 12:34 PM

so...what is the point to use the continue 12 volt source?
i know it is causing that the gauge is still on. but why thr instructions ask for it?

sne2040 May 11, 2009 01:21 PM

well this still is gonna be slightly suckier with the rallyarmor mudflaps on.....

Red Dragon May 11, 2009 01:26 PM

Edit never mind