Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My $5 temporary splash guard solution.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good I think I may need to do this very soon.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Is there just 1 generic spash guards at Advance for $5? Or are there choices. I want to make sure I get the same ones you got.

Brian
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

^ There are the just one style but for cars or trucks....just make sure you get the one for cars, they are smaller in size.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 04:46 PM

Looks great, I think I may be doing this weekend...
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:34 PM

We did it yesterday, just in time for this wonderful March snowstorm...$5.97 for the generic splash guards at Advance.

I think it looks fine...and our Mitsu parts guy at the dealership says Mitsubishi only has rear splash guards...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:18 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
My dad was in town this weekend, and we knocked this out really quick. The only hard part was getting the push pins to go back through the extra plastic. Great mod, great price. Thanks Scott!

Made sticky.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:23 AM

Yeah, Bambi and I did this, as she mentioned, but it wasn't the easiest thing in the world in our case.

The plastic is very thick, and my push pins wouldn't go through it without thinning it down with a dremmel. Ours is very much a hack job, and I might take another shot at it this weekend. I also broke a push pin (just one of the "legs" that get pushed out when you push the pin in) doing this, so I'll prolly go get a couple more from the dealer before I go another round with this job.

Lastly, I had a question for those of you who have done this to your cars... The pics in this thread show the screw head-style push pins where you mounted your splash guards. I have the push-style pins in that location, but I have the screw head-style at the front of the wheel well. Did you guys change them around for this mod, and if so, why? I took one of the screw-type pins out of the front to compare them, but it was shorter than the push-type.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ I am sorry I forgot to mention that I switched push pins to the screw in type that were a little longer than the stockers. I had the screw in type in my work bench from my previous EVO. The stock ones work just fine but were harder to get back in all the way and the screw in ones went in alot easier.

Thanks Noize for making this a sticky! Since I made these and put them on I have not gotten any more rock chips!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Also just so everyone else knows you can find a wide selection of push pins, snaps and the screw in pins at your local Lowes. Go to the section where all the screws and nuts are and they have a bunch of pull out bins of these.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:40 PM

I think these look better than the Mitsu flaps. Good work.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Great idea. Mitsubishi should have done that oem.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Update on my splash gaurds:
The good- The splash gaurds have eliminated all chips on the side of the rocker and on the lower part of the rear door.
The bad- Still getting some chips on the very lower/under part of the very rear rocker. I think the only solution to this would be to make the splash gaurd hang down slightly lower. I bought a new set that are longer and I am going to work on it on this Sunday.

Overall these splash gaurds made a huge improvment and pretty much totally eliminated all chips. The chips that are still hitting you have to get on your hands and knees to even see. But I am a freak so I am goint to stop those also.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

what size of screw in pin did you use??
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$5 for these flaps or $150 for Mitsubishi. Ill take the $5 ones and save the $145 lol.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah nice. Im doing this asap. I happen to have a new set of these from a previous project that I ended up getting rallye armor instead. I almost chucked them out but now I won't waste my 6 dollars .

I live across the street from an NV state transprtation center. The highway maintainance trucks dump that 'sand' stuff on the road all time in storms...more like pea sized rocks and I can hear them bouncing off the body work all the time. Eventually I won't have any paint . For some reason/miracle I have not gotten' any chips yet.

Lowes is great for nuts/bolts/connectors. Teh Depot' sucks

Quick Reply: My $5 temporary splash guard solution.