Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

HIDs - Repair, Paint, Install!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good job
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:52 PM

do you have pictures of this? How much work was involved in the retro? What did you do about the high beams?

Originally Posted by eyekyu
Its all personal taste, thats why I retrofitted mine with
s2k's
overall output is way better than OEM projectors
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice job.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Violat0rX
do you have pictures of this? How much work was involved in the retro? What did you do about the high beams?
yes check out https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...56k-warnd.html i dont wanna jack the OP thread
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evoryder
nice. No hid option in canada..sux
yall cant have everything! yall have evos with sunroofs!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

yes check out https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...56k-warnd.html i dont wanna jack the OP thread
Meh, it's no problem. People should know of other options too! Your output does look great though. However, I can still say that my blacked out housings look fantastic. The light output is good enough anyway.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I still smile as I approach my car, laughing to myself at how much more evil it makes the front end look. Then I have to stop laughing to myself, since people start to stare.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

That look's awesome, I can't wait to do mine now.... Great job
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
nice. No hid option in canada..sux
Ya... but we do get the 09 Evo X
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

good job!

i would of channged the projector while i was in there
What would be a good replacement that would require no modification.

I do believe the pattern can be a lil more sharp therefore producing better light coverage.

I myslef am looking for a good projector to retrofit into the fogs to go along with the HID upgrade.

EDIT: Very nice job on the retrofit. Looks awesome.

Last edited by WWevoX; Mar 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Its all personal taste, thats why I retrofitted mine with s2k's
overall output is way better than OEM projectors
HA guess I should have finished reading the rest of the post.

But can't you just replace the actual projector lens and not the whole housing to maintain the high beams...

Also to OP, How does your high beams work/look now that the reflector housing is painted? That is where your high beams is right?
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, in the OEM housing, the reflector portion of the headlight is used for the DRL bulb. The high beam is the HID. In the OEM HIDs, there is a blind/shutter that provides the cutoff line for low beams. When you turn on your high beams, the shutter retracts, opening up much more of the projector for output.

So, the output of low and high beam is not changed. DRL output is, of course, diminished, but who really cares. I would not have painted the reflector if it altered light output. Safety over appearance.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xPRimNT
Actually, in the OEM housing, the reflector portion of the headlight is used for the DRL bulb. The high beam is the HID. In the OEM HIDs, there is a blind/shutter that provides the cutoff line for low beams. When you turn on your high beams, the shutter retracts, opening up much more of the projector for output.

So, the output of low and high beam is not changed. DRL output is, of course, diminished, but who really cares. I would not have painted the reflector if it altered light output. Safety over appearance.
I don't know why I didn't think that. I have SSS but for some reason I thought that the restrofit from an SSS headlight to a non SSS that it wasn't 100% plug and play. So how does the DRL look with it painted. I knwo there not bright as it is, But I think it looks better with everything painted. Someone a while back painted there housing but left the DRL housing chrome and it looked a lil awkward.

Are you also using stock HID bulbs or did you upgrade them.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I agree, it looks better painted. WAY better. Looks particularly good on WW and PB. The swap was 99% Plug and Play. Unfortunately, I haven't made it to the dealer yet to have the "Discharge" setting enabled, nor have I picked up the DRL relay that I need to have it be exactly as an SSS car. This means that if my lights are switched to off (which would normally power the DRLs), my HIDs get "underpowered" and flicker. So, for the mean time, I just leave my lights switched to on, and the problem is sidestepped. This also means that I haven't actually had the opportunity to even see the DRLs, so I can't comment on the output. I imagine it will be fairly reduced.

For now, I am using stock bulbs. I will upgrade them at the same time as I upgrade to HID fogs.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Well congrats man, I'm glad you got to find some OEM HID to replace yours and have the better lighting system. I don't understand why they wouldn't have that option for the Canadian market.

Hopefully your time at the dealer will be good one with the rest of the project.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WWevoX
HA guess I should have finished reading the rest of the post.

But can't you just replace the actual projector lens and not the whole housing to maintain the high beams...

Also to OP, How does your high beams work/look now that the reflector housing is painted? That is where your high beams is right?
well for the non hid you simply replace the low beam, and you dont lose function of the high beam at all.
but for those with hid and want a better projector get a bomb *** bi-xenon projector

Quick Reply: HIDs - Repair, Paint, Install!