Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

LED Fogs and DRL's installed. Now my HIDs look like crap

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Fogs and DRL's installed. Now my HIDs look like crap

I bought LEDs from ledlight.com. I had issues with superbrightleds.com products

led DRL's

HID's and LED fog lights

Old Jun 9, 2010, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does make the HIDs look yellow-ish. It doesn't look too bad, though. That's one of the reasons I went with plain yellow-tinted halogens in my fogs.

Which one did you get for the DRLs? It looks like they have a couple options. It looks like they rate their automotive products at 12V... I wonder how they'll hold up at 14V which is what someone measured the DRL bulbs receive.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
It does make the HIDs look yellow-ish. It doesn't look too bad, though. That's one of the reasons I went with plain yellow-tinted halogens in my fogs.

Which one did you get for the DRLs? It looks like they have a couple options. It looks like they rate their automotive products at 12V... I wonder how they'll hold up at 14V which is what someone measured the DRL bulbs receive.
The DRL's are rated @ 13.6 volts I think. Check the vids.

These are what I got

drls.
G18 13 5050 SMD (3 Chip) LED Light Bulb

G18 13 5050 SMD (3 Chip) LED Light Bulb

fogs
H11 18 SMD 5050 Day Running and Fog L.E.D. Light
H11 18 SMD 5050 Day Running and Fog L.E.D. Light

And I'm gonna fake-the-funk with this HID effect kit for the fogs.
HID-effect module for LED fog lights
Old Jun 9, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

It says 12V on the site (can't look at the vids at work), but I went ahead and sent their support team an email to verify. I'll let everyone know what they say.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Quick reply from them, good customer service... unfortunately:

"Yes product code 67324 is 12 volt. When you give the LED more voltage that is need [sic] it will stress the bulb and burn out fast. There is a chance that the LED with [sic] blow the first time you hook it up"

Not exactly what I expected, considering that while car batteries are "12V systems", they typically operate at between 13.8 and 14.4V. The only time you're going to see a car battery at 12V is if it's drained.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Quick reply from them, good customer service... unfortunately:

"Yes product code 67324 is 12 volt. When you give the LED more voltage that is need [sic] it will stress the bulb and burn out fast. There is a chance that the LED with [sic] blow the first time you hook it up"

Not exactly what I expected, considering that while car batteries are "12V systems", they typically operate at between 13.8 and 14.4V. The only time you're going to see a car battery at 12V is if it's drained.
This contradicts what they have on the video. Oh well, We'll see how long it lasts. I think the phone support rep doesn't know the full story. As with most phone reps. You should have asked why is it rated different on the videos?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Well, like I said, I couldn't see the videos and didn't know they mentioned a specific voltage range. What did they say it was?

This was just email support, so I had already replied that with most car systems being 13.8 to 14.4V, this seems to exclude a lot of their products. I'll see what they say.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Jun 9, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Well, like I said, I couldn't see the videos and didn't know they mentioned a specific voltage range. What did they say it was?

This was just email support, so I had already replied that with most car systems being 13.8 to 14.4V, this seems to exclude a lot of their products. I'll see what they say.
The video says that the current draw is .13ma @13.8 volts. I think the person who responded to you doesn't know what they are talking about. The bulbs are designed for automotive applications and marketed for DRL use. And mine didn't blow yet
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:47 AM

Spoonie - Great find. Gonna try these.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

CS Rep Says: "The bulb would work with 13.8 but we wouldn't recommend anything higher than that"

Several people have measured voltages higher than 13.8 on our cars, so I'd be worried. It looks like they just measured the current draw at its maximum rated voltage, which makes sense if you want to brag about current draw.

I was going to order a set of these, too. Looks like I should stick with the 9V-14.8V rated range from SuperBrightLEDs. What trouble did you have with their product? It'll take a month or two to have issues with LEDs running at too high a voltage, so you likely won't see anything for awhile if they would start to fail.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to order a set of these, too. Looks like I should stick with the 9V-14.8V rated range from SuperBrightLEDs. What trouble did you have with their product?
They burnt out after a couple months, and even when they worked the light output had this awful looking green tinge. This happened with a set of 1156 single led bulbs that I go from them. I'm not willing to try them out again.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

leds are hit or miss depending on quality. i had a bunch of leds from one single place from the same manufacturer that lived long, but at the same time some died within weeks or months.

and led light tends to rob color from the hid. never quite know why though. probably some sort of jedi mind trick.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

That seems like something SuperbrightLEDs should have replaced for you. Did they deny the defect?

In any case, the ones you got look great, I just wonder about longevity if they claim the max voltage as 13.8V. Any chance you'd chime in in a month or two with an update? I bought some $2 LEDs for my DRLs as an experiment to see if I liked them. I do, but they're bound to fail soon.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
and led light tends to rob color from the hid. never quite know why though. probably some sort of jedi mind trick.
It's because a white LED is going to be around 6000K vs the HID's on most factory cars being 5300k. It makes stock HID's appear yellowish
Old Jun 9, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

That seems like something SuperbrightLEDs should have replaced for you. Did they deny the defect?
They were willing to replace it (only one failed). I didn't bother because I didn't like the color.

In any case, the ones you got look great, I just wonder about longevity if they claim the max voltage as 13.8V. Any chance you'd chime in in a month or two with an update? I bought some $2 LEDs for my DRLs as an experiment to see if I liked them. I do, but they're bound to fail soon.
Thanks!! And I'll chime back in around a few months.

Quick Reply: LED Fogs and DRL's installed. Now my HIDs look like crap