Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evox rexpeed vortex generator and front lip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, the VG looks cool....but does it actually have any functional purpose like the one on the IX? the IX's VG was wind tunnel tested with the wing, and was made with the fins positioned to increase downforce over the rear wing and clean up turbulence. The X was said by mitsubishi to not need a VG because of the diffuser under the rear bumper. So even though it looks good, was it ever tested to help the car's aero, or is it really just a decoration piece that is probably making things worse?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ugakirk
What tools are you refering to?
wrench, paper towels, urethane and alcohol are all the tools you need
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ODUB
yeah, the VG looks cool....but does it actually have any functional purpose like the one on the IX? the IX's VG was wind tunnel tested with the wing, and was made with the fins positioned to increase downforce over the rear wing and clean up turbulence. The X was said by mitsubishi to not need a VG because of the diffuser under the rear bumper. So even though it looks good, was it ever tested to help the car's aero, or is it really just a decoration piece that is probably making things worse?
lol i dont have a wind tunnel to test it out but from driving it over 70mph+ i do feel the car more stable and steady . yes its true that the IX VG has the fins angled, that is because of the huge drop the evo 9 has from the roof to the trunk, thus needing more turbulence; the Evo x doesn't have that huge drop. A VG isn't making things worse, its not going to fudge up your 1/4 times. i personally got a VG because i like the way it looks on the Evo 10, it goes perfectly with the diffuser under the rear bumper.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Galante31
lol i dont have a wind tunnel to test it out but from driving it over 70mph+ i do feel the car more stable and steady . yes its true that the IX VG has the fins angled, that is because of the huge drop the evo 9 has from the roof to the trunk, thus needing more turbulence; the Evo x doesn't have that huge drop. A VG isn't making things worse, its not going to fudge up your 1/4 times. i personally got a VG because i like the way it looks on the Evo 10, it goes perfectly with the diffuser under the rear bumper.
the VG was put there to smooth out the turbulence, not cause more of it. Also, I wasn't talking about 1/4 mile times because I'm not a drag racer, and the EVO is not a drag car. I'm talking about downforce. Downforce matters in cornering, not so much in a straight line. I'd just be curious to see how the air behind the car is changed by this addition when mitsu said the car's aero has been tuned to not need one.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 03:43 PM

the VG was put there to smooth out the turbulence, not cause more of it. Also, I wasn't talking about 1/4 mile times because I'm not a drag racer, and the EVO is not a drag car. I'm talking about downforce. Downforce matters in cornering, not so much in a straight line. I'd just be curious to see how the air behind the car is changed by this addition when mitsu said the car's aero has been tuned to not need one.
the angled fins cause turbulence so air is forced down the rear window onto the spoiler. they delay air flow.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

I wish someone would make a proper 4 finned version for the MR-T
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

the angled fins cause turbulence so air is forced down the rear window onto the spoiler. they delay air flow.
wrong again lol. they don't cause turbulence. turbulence is NOT good for aero. turbulence causes drag. the point is to create downforce while minimizing, or eliminating drag. the fins DIVERT, DIRECT, and CHANNEL air flow downward, and over the rear wing by generation of small vortices behind the fins. they don't delay air flow. if they delayed flow, that would be causing drag, and slowing air flow which is never a good thing. The only thing they delay is flow separation and aerodynamic stalling due to turbulence. they create small vortices that channel the air over the wing instead of letting the air travel in all different directions and cause turbulence.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

rexpeed vg are too big and fat imo.... apr and fq looks much nicer and less rice.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:55 PM

Love it looks great i wonder how the lip holds up to the occassional rocks on the highways. Im debating on ordering these myself
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by red kryptonite
rexpeed vg are too big and fat imo.... apr and fq looks much nicer and less rice.
Imo the apr and fq look to small, thin and cheep
Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

The APR and FQ pieces are most likely designed that way for a reason, and have been tested for their performance rather than appearance. Vortex Generators are supposed to be small, and thin. the Rexspeed piece is all show, no go. a non-performance copy of a performance piece...rice.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:33 PM

Cool

The APR and FQ pieces are most likely designed that way for a reason, and have been tested for their performance rather than appearance. Vortex Generators are supposed to be small, and thin. the Rexspeed piece is all show, no go. a non-performance copy of a performance piece...rice.
No sh@t they have performance in mind, IMO they look to small and cheap.. People who get VG's get them for looks, if your a pro and go racing everyday get the curvy VG that improve your lap time by .3 of a second. As for me this VG looks great for my everyday drives and occasional track days
Old Aug 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i shall retort:

you obviously have no idea what real carbon fiber molds should look or feel like. by your statement, body panels on the mclaren f1, zonda, slr, ccx, et al. are all "cheep." the most expensive carbon parts are supposed to be quite thin, because they are dry molds, adds minimal weight, and does not crack when a kitteh sneezes on it.

actually, it's a chargespeed replica, not a fq replica. the fq has fins that point toward the rear wing's mounting points. chargespeed/rexpeed is straight. i won't argue the effectiveness of them though.

Last edited by EndlessRed; Aug 7, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 08:44 PM

you obviously have no idea what real carbon fiber molds should look or feel like. by your statement, body panels on the mclaren f1, zonda, slr, ccx, et al. are all "cheep." the most expensive carbon parts are supposed to be quite thin, because they are dry molds, adds minimal weight, and does not crack when a kitteh sneezes on it.

I do know what real molds shoud look like, It doesn't matter. I'm just saying IMO the thin carbon fiber like apr, looks cheep and fragile.

Last edited by Galante31; Aug 7, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

No sh@t they have performance in mind, IMO they look to small and cheap.. People who get VG's get them for looks, if your a pro and go racing everyday get the curvy VG that improve your lap time by .3 of a second. As for me this VG looks great for my everyday drives and occasional track days
You can take the kid out of the civic....

I do know what real molds shoud look like, It doesn't matter. I'm just saying IMO the thin carbon fiber like apr, looks cheep and fragile.
...but you can't take the ricer out of the kid.

Quick Reply: Evox rexpeed vortex generator and front lip