Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo x mudflaps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cla2000
I think mud flaps look bad on our cars but if it really helps protect the paint i might just have to get them.
You can protect the paint with style and class.. Get the Armor film. It works, its expensive.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mud flaps on a rally car?! Unheard of!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:45 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Just my .02 cents if your gonna get mud flaps on a sports car, why not also get curb feelers, sheepskin set covers, a carpeted dash mat, and a bobble head spelunker doll?
The same thing can be said about buying an Evo with an automatic transmission.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Ouch.

Go with Rally Armor. They look BA and they help prevent chips here and there. OEM Mud Flaps look horrendous. I have Black RA's on mine and it looks sweet.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:22 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Just my .02 cents if your gonna get mud flaps on a sports car, why not also get curb feelers, sheepskin set covers, a carpeted dash mat, and a bobble head spelunker doll?
Remember what the Evo was built for... rally.

Our car has wide sticky tires, just about any rocks that those tires touch are going to be kicked up and out. It's also being respectful of the people behind you. Nothing drives me more nuts than a jacked up truck with big off-road tires that do not have mud flaps... windshield eater?

It's unfortunate that mitsubishi made the factory mudflaps the way they did. Had they flared them out like the Rally Armor flaps, they'd be a bit more functional.

But either way... mud flaps or not... they still serve a purpose and have history on our cars
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Agreed, too bad there are not EVO with automatics. Just automated manuals, like ummm all formula one cars, and most all high end exotics.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Remember what the Evo was built for... rally.
Agreed 100%.

Originally Posted by migs647
Our car has wide sticky tires, just about any rocks that those tires touch are going to be kicked up and out. It's also being respectful of the people behind you. Nothing drives me more nuts than a jacked up truck with big off-road tires that do not have mud flaps... windshield eater?

It's unfortunate that mitsubishi made the factory mudflaps the way they did. Had they flared them out like the Rally Armor flaps, they'd be a bit more functional.

But either way... mud flaps or not... they still serve a purpose and have history on our cars
Mud flaps for rally racing serve a more important purpose than not throwing rocks to the cars behide. They also stop accumulation of mud under the wheel well which can clog brakes, and cause handling issues.

Hence I said just my 2 cents. I just dont care for the way they look.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Agreed, too bad there are not EVO with automatics. Just automated manuals, like ummm all formula one cars, and most all high end exotics.
There were in fact overseas CT9A VII EVO's with automatic transmissions. I think they were called GTA's

Then of course you have that new fangled X MR
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Mud flaps for rally racing serve a more important purpose than not throwing rocks to the cars behide. They also stop accumulation of mud under the wheel well which can clog brakes, and cause handling issues.

Hence I said just my 2 cents. I just dont care for the way they look.
Yah, that's why they are removable, some like some don't

A lot of us track too, and while we don't do it on purpose sometimes we miss the apex and pick up some gravel. It's respectful for the guy behind you not to nail his car
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Even stronger, if you have been driving on dirt in an Evo X without mud-flaps, then you really need to get under the car and remove all the crap from on top on the rear fascia in the back corners. In my case, there was at least half a cubic foot of dirt and other crud packed around the AYC pump in the right rear corner. This can't be good. Similarly, there was a lot packed around the charcoal canister in the left rear. Also not good.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Do you think the mudflaps reduce the amount of dirt that collects in those areas?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:32 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black95tt
^ Do you think the mudflaps reduce the amount of dirt that collects in those areas?
Oh yes, not only dirt but also the plastic spraying to the paint from the tires dont go on your paint anymore. They all go to the mudflaps.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by T6
Oh yes, not only dirt but also the plastic spraying to the paint from the tires dont go on your paint anymore. They all go to the mudflaps.

Awesome!!! This is what mudflaps were originally made for. Of course in honesty I must agree with Migs, not shattering your fellow racers windshield with a rock is just plain nice.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:43 AM

Tom, for people who have upgraded to wider/ more offset than stock wheels and tires it is almost a must. My back doors and fenders had hundreds of rock chips, kind of looked like I had always driven through a muddy puddle. I ended up wrapping the entire car in rock blocker and then adding flaps
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
EvoM Community Team

LOL yah nice of us evo owners huh? Subbies just have them to be cool, we have them cause we're respectful

Quick Reply: Evo x mudflaps