Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Plastidipped Evo X GSR wheels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plastidipped Evo X GSR wheels

Both my son and I did our respective Evo wheels with black Plastidip. We followed the directions from dipyourcar.com. We used the garbage bag method to cover our brakes and calipers. Doing the front wheels is a real pain as the brakes are large enough to leave little space between the wheel and brake. Each wheel was sprayed about 8 times total. After allowing for time to dry, the cars were rolled backwards to touch up any missed spots. It took several hours to finish each car. We also used about 4 cans for each car.

Because there are so many spokes on the GSR wheel, it is really difficult to adequately spray them from all angles. And, the coverage of the plastidip only extends about halfway on the wheel. However, from most angles the wheels look totally black. Several people have seen our wheels and have assumed that they were powder coated, which means that the Plastidip looks that good. Ultimately, my son and I want to have our wheels powder coated, but for the time being, they look pretty good. Here are the results on my Octane Blue Evo X:

Old Jun 1, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Looks really good. Hopefully it will hold up a while.

I would be wary though, as far as powdercoating the stock wheels.. It's prolly safer just to keep painting them once every year or two if you aren't going to buy new wheels.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

^ Not sure why powder coating would be bad for the wheels. I like black wheels and plan on keeping them for a long time. As far as longevity goes, Plastidip is supposed to be good for a year or so, but with the few miles I put on my car, they should last longer.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ugakirk
Looks really good. Hopefully it will hold up a while.

I would be wary though, as far as powdercoating the stock wheels.. It's prolly safer just to keep painting them once every year or two if you aren't going to buy new wheels.
Curious as to why one should be wary of powder coating the stock wheels. Have you had wheels powder coated with bad experiences?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 05:57 PM

I like it! Good work!
Drop that bad boy & its all good!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDinhEvoX
Curious as to why one should be wary of powder coating the stock wheels. Have you had wheels powder coated with bad experiences?
Powdercoating on some type of wheels, like the stock wheels, can be semi-dangerous. Especially if you just take the wheels down the street to get them powdercoated. If the wheels are heated up to much they can crack later.. A lot of heat weakens wheels, which is what powdercoating requires. It can be ok if guy has experience with working with wheels because they will prolly be more cautious than others..
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Powdercoating on some type of wheels, like the stock wheels, can be semi-dangerous. Especially if you just take the wheels down the street to get them powdercoated. If the wheels are heated up to much they can crack later.. A lot of heat weakens wheels, which is what powdercoating requires. It can be ok if guy has experience with working with wheels because they will prolly be more cautious than others..
I didn't know that. I thought that with powdercoating, an electrostatic charge was introduced, thus causing the paint to bond with the surface. I have seen snowplows and metal parts powdercoated and have never seen them heated up. Is the heating up required for better adhesion?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
I didn't know that. I thought that with powdercoating, an electrostatic charge was introduced, thus causing the paint to bond with the surface. I have seen snowplows and metal parts powdercoated and have never seen them heated up. Is the heating up required for better adhesion?
Well yes, u are right, it is applied electrostaticly, but it uses heat to cure. Either way, I really like the plasti-dip look.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

^ Thanks for sharing that. I guess I had never really looked into that much. Only have seen the results. You are right. Heating wheels to 400 degrees might weaken the molecular structure in the metal. Guess I will stay with Plastidip!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:34 PM

Picture of my car with dipped wheels:

Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDinhEvoX
I had 5 cracked spokes within less than 1 year after pc'ing my stockers. Won't happen to everyone, but the chance that it does is out there.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 05:30 AM

My pd'ed wheels still look good after over a year, but like any porous flat paint, brake dust collects on the surface and won't hardly come off. But, since it's rubber, use a spray tire shine foam on them. Just let it sit for a few min to dissolve the dust, then wipe them down with a paper towel. They look pretty good after this.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody tried the new plasti dip smoke? I'm not into the dark black look, it doesn't have any gloss to it. I'm getting the smoke soon and will be spraying my wheels. Hopefully it comes out good.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

^ Platipdip has a glossifier to make the color shinier. I like the smoke color, but prefer black much better. I actually used ArmorAll on the wheels and they are a bit shinier. If I were to powdercoat my wheels, which I may not now, I would have them done in satin black, a shiny finish than flat, but a duller finish than a gloss color.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Glossier? I'll look into that thanks

Quick Reply: Plastidipped Evo X GSR wheels