Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Do Luck Trunk Issues..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ultimately went with the VIS after reading so many negative comments about Do-Lucks recently. The VIS fit pretty good but the body shop that painted it did have to take some time to adjust it. Not only the bolts that go into the trunk from the hinge, but where the hinge is bolted to the car, and they had to drill out the holes for the latch to move that up (like up towards the taillights). The latch was the main thing to get it sucked in to close further down, just bolting it on as-is the trunk didn’t close far enough and there were big gaps, even the manual release wouldn’t work . After all that it fits about 95%, not perfect but damn close for a carbon fiber piece.
I had planned to just drop it off and get painted and install it myself, but they wanted to test fit it before painting. I’m glad I paid the little extra and had them install it. All the mounting locations have some adjustment ability to them and drilling out the holes for the latch wasn’t a big deal, it just needed a small amount of adjustability. I haven’t had a chance to wash my car since I got it last week or I’d post photos.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psybin
I ultimately went with the VIS after reading so many negative comments about Do-Lucks recently. The VIS fit pretty good but the body shop that painted it did have to take some time to adjust it. Not only the bolts that go into the trunk from the hinge, but where the hinge is bolted to the car, and they had to drill out the holes for the latch to move that up (like up towards the taillights). The latch was the main thing to get it sucked in to close further down, just bolting it on as-is the trunk didn’t close far enough and there were big gaps, even the manual release wouldn’t work . After all that it fits about 95%, not perfect but damn close for a carbon fiber piece.
I had planned to just drop it off and get painted and install it myself, but they wanted to test fit it before painting. I’m glad I paid the little extra and had them install it. All the mounting locations have some adjustment ability to them and drilling out the holes for the latch wasn’t a big deal, it just needed a small amount of adjustability. I haven’t had a chance to wash my car since I got it last week or I’d post photos.
If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for getting it painted/installed?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it was $250 for paint and $100 for install. Not the greatest deal but they did a really good job. I gouged the F out of my trunk with my garage door, so after my $500 deductible insurance covered the rest.

Basically the shop wrote me up a ticket to get the OEM trunk fixed, but instead I bought the VIS and had it painted for less than the cost of fixing the damage. So now I have a damaged MR trunk in my spare room heh. If it was the stock GSR trunk it would have been a bigger pay out, the high spoiler is $$.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:05 AM

I am curious about the customer service they received from vendors (dsg or bulletproof) when the do luck trunk did not fit right? Sounds like a bad shipment ...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Psybin
I think it was $250 for paint and $100 for install. Not the greatest deal but they did a really good job. I gouged the F out of my trunk with my garage door, so after my $500 deductible insurance covered the rest.

Basically the shop wrote me up a ticket to get the OEM trunk fixed, but instead I bought the VIS and had it painted for less than the cost of fixing the damage. So now I have a damaged MR trunk in my spare room heh. If it was the stock GSR trunk it would have been a bigger pay out, the high spoiler is $$.
Thanks for the info, that's kinda what I was thinking the cost of painting was going to be.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by haulksmash
I am curious about the customer service they received from vendors (dsg or bulletproof) when the do luck trunk did not fit right? Sounds like a bad shipment ...

According to Bulletproof, Do Luck had a bad batch of their trunks come to the U.S. this last summer. I purchased mine in May, and was supposed to get it the summer, but Bulletproof gave me the news that they're sending them back because of the bad batch issue. Do Luck found the issue and remade the trunks and they arrived last week. I'm actually getting mine this week.

Issues happen. As long as the vendor is working with you you'll be ok. Look at the past bad fitment on the C-West stuff... Bulletproof though has been nothing but helpful, and you can't blame the vendor on stuff like this.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by MARQ
According to Bulletproof, Do Luck had a bad batch of their trunks come to the U.S. this last summer. I purchased mine in May, and was supposed to get it the summer, but Bulletproof gave me the news that they're sending them back because of the bad batch issue. Do Luck found the issue and remade the trunks and they arrived last week. I'm actually getting mine this week.

Issues happen. As long as the vendor is working with you you'll be ok. Look at the past bad fitment on the C-West stuff... Bulletproof though has been nothing but helpful, and you can't blame the vendor on stuff like this.
Glad to hear that BP auto has excellent customer service. Makes me more comfortable ordering the item from them. I am still shocked that Do-Luck had a "bad" batch and quality control did not catch the bad fitment....
Old Jan 1, 2015, 04:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by haulksmash
Glad to hear that BP auto has excellent customer service. Makes me more comfortable ordering the item from them. I am still shocked that Do-Luck had a "bad" batch and quality control did not catch the bad fitment....

Yeah they were nothing but awesome during this long wait. Got the trunk though, and it's a perfect fit.