Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Monstercz4a EVO X JDM Build Project!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monstercz4a EVO X JDM Build Project!!!

Background: Lancer Evolution has always been the car that I want to own someday. I was really excited when Mitsubishi finally released the EVO 8 in the US in 2008. However, the car was out of my reach financially at that time, and it didn't really came with the full package anyway (It has no Super AYC!). Fast forward to 2014, I was looking for a replacement for my s2000. The two main consideration factors were something 4 door and pretty fast in stock form. The two obvious contenders were the EVO x and STI, and Mitsubishi's financing terms were just too good to pass up. So I pulled the trigger! It was a 2014 Wicked White GSR with SSS package.

Build Concept: Simple, track capable and street friendly. The EVO X build will base on these three main concepts. I want to say my idea for this build is heavily influenced by the HKS EVO X CZ200S. HKS kept the EVO X's exterior mainly stock with only a few aero pieces i.e. front splitter, GT wing, and a set of canards, and yet it was able to clock a of 57" sec lap in Tsukuba. I was very impressed with HKS's build approach to keep the EVO X stockish looking and did not go wide body. Yet, they were able to achieve such an impressive lap time. I was determined to build my version of the CZ200S!

Enough talking... on with the pictures...
Picked up the car from south coast Mitsubishi, for the awesome pricing! Car had 7 miles when I drove it off the lot but I didn't manage to take this picture till 7 miles later.

Home is some ways away from the dealership, so to prevent rock chips on the drive home I had to tape up the nose of the car.

I instructed the dealer for a "no touch" delivery so that I can do a proper car wash myself. Here is a picture after the first car wash.

During the first 1-2 months of ownership, my biggest complain for the car was the gear box. I was experiencing random 2nd gear grind and the overall shift feel was just nowhere near the S2000 that I just sold. So to fix that issue I ordered some Motul Motyl Gear SAE 75W80 as well as a Ralliart Quick Shift Lever Unit. The quick shifter unit reduces shift throws by 30%!

Also, I added some JDM TI bling, a Moonface TI shift knob!

Did some research on engine oil and decided to go with the Eneos oil, and best of all they are available at NAPA auto parts stores. No special order or wait time for package to come from another state. So I picked some up at a local store and did the first oil change with OEM oil filter.

When I was looking for a set of wheels, I had my eyes set on the ADVAN RZ in Dark Gun Metallic which is what was ran on the HKS car. However, back in 2014 the Advan RZ was pretty hard to find new as they were considered as an "older" line up. After some searching I decided to go with the ADVAN RS2 in Hyper black based on the fact that they are lighter than the RZ and it was the most similar looking wheel available at the time. Wheel spec was chosen based on the HKS spec of 18x10 +25, although HKS ran a slight reverse staggered with +35 offset in the rear I like the more aggressive look of +25 all around. Overall, I love the concaveness of the RS2 and the build quality is awesome! I only wish they are a bit darker, as during bright day light they look like bright silver almost chromeish than black/dark gray.

Several weeks after I picked up my brand new Advan wheels. One of my friends introduced me to a professional auto detailer and he recommended that I should get my wheels coated with a protective coating call Ceramic Pro. Main benefits of the coating are chemical resistant, hydrophobic properties and also resists brake dust. Knowing how meticulous I am when it comes to maintaining and keeping my car clean, I decided to give it a try. The result was AMAZING!! Below is a video show casing the hydrophobic properties of the coating having been on the wheels after 1 year, still holding strong!

A big shout out to Jason @ Carzwerk! They are very professional and always exceeds my expectation with their services, they are definitely the one stop shop for all my auto detailing needs. Please check them out if you are from the bay area in Cali! Visit http://www.carzwerk.com/ for more details!

Last edited by Monstercz4a; Mar 14, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

WHERE WHAT YOU BOUGHT AND HOW MUCH PAID?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 08:08 PM

You can find the Ralliart quick shift unit at the common JDM parts exporters such as japanparts, rhdjapan, nungen.. etc. The price of the unit then was a tag cheaper than the full TWM unit, but with the yen exchange rate now you can probably pick it up for much less.

My impression of the unit is that it does give a very precise shifting feel and you for sure will notice the shorten shift throw. Installation of the piece was very easy, everything lined up without any fitment issues. Can't really beat the Ralliart OEM quality. Overall, I am happy with the unit, but if I can do it over again I would probably give the TWM unit a try first.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my TWM full replacement. Only issue I have is the weight. She weights a ton more then the OEM plastic unit.

Love the way your car is heading. Keep up the good work and great pictures.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:37 PM

Ah, I see. Yeah the Ralliart unit weight pretty much same as stock.

Thanks for the kind words...
Old Jul 18, 2016, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
do you have any side shots of the wheels on the car?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any pictures of the shiftknob installed? I've never seen that kind of shiftknob before