Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need some new pads

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some new pads

Well guys after 5,000 miles of driving this wonderful peice of machinery, I think it's time to change the pads. They're sqweaking now and the brake dust is horrible, especially since I drive a WW. I really don't know what to do at this point, so any suggestions would be helpful.

1. Has anyone tried aftermarket pads and whats the experience with them?

2. Should I just get new stock pads?

3. What can I do about this brake dust?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The stock pads are overpriced for what they are, I would look at Magic Pads or Hawk HPS for reasonable dust levels and good street performance. You could sacrifice some stopping power for a really low dust set of pads but not sure what fits that criteria for the Evo X.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well whatever you choose if you are planning on doing the rear pads along with the fronts you'll need some Girodisc Pad Adaptors.

Griodisc Pad Adaptors:
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

1. lots-and they will eventually all comment on what they think is the best product ever made for thier car-Martin knows his stuff-Giro and you cant go wrong for a long time
2. nope-stay away
3. clean regularly.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have experience with the Project MU pads for the X? I cannot stand the dust from the stock pads, so I'm with the OP on that one. I had HPS's on my VIII, but in my opinion they were not nearly as good as the stock pads.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what i read you will have dust no matter what. All performance pads make dust. If you dont want dust, prepare to sacrifice performance when it comes to braking.

And to the OP 5000 and your pads are worn???? That's does not sound right. Are you tracking your car???
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

There are pads that offer better performance over OE and produce a fraction of the dust. The OE Brake pads are designed to provide adequate consistent braking performance for the street. Their operating temp is low because your not suppose to be going over 70mph and you never really apply more then 50% braking pressure in a "normal" driving situation. The problem is that when you drive hard or dynamite the brakes for an extended period of time they quickly run outside of their operating temp and their braking performance goes down. They will generate excessive dust, and can lead to premature wear of the pads and can go as far as starting to chew up the rotors. Brembos OE pads are made to wear quickly to keep the rotors save and the pad material fresh, which is why they dust so much.

Performance pads do produce more dust then street pads but pads like the Axxis Ultimate and the Ferodo DS2500 both produce less dust then OE. Street Pads like Hawk HPS and Girodisc Magic Pads produce far less dust because they are made from a harder compound with a higher friction point so they need to transfer less material to the rotor to stop with adequate force. Street Pads have lower operating temp because they are designed to have a better cold bite. Track Pads like Ferodos and Raybestos have much higher operating temps, but need to be heating up before their initial friction point is reached (which is why track pads are not recommended for street).

So you can have pads that do perform better then OE and generate less dust. The OE pads are expensive, and the dust is unbearable. There is no reason to ever buy a replacement set of OE pads. There are so many pads on the market today that are cheaper and run circles around OE pads in performance, dust, and noise.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Girodisc Martin; Sep 19, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good info there!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
Anyone have experience with the Project MU pads for the X? I cannot stand the dust from the stock pads, so I'm with the OP on that one. I had HPS's on my VIII, but in my opinion they were not nearly as good as the stock pads.
I have the Mu up front and like them-lots of street (I'm practicing braking late on the highway-just to terrify people) use and some occasional track/auto x/road track. They're decent, but I'm needing an upgrade for next year (hello Martin-I need those 2 pc rotors-call the peeps and get the rotors please )
Old Sep 19, 2008, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

We'll have them before the end of the month. 3 sets still available.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

pm me price for front and rears please...and a set of pad adaptors-sorry for tj-
thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 04:02 PM

And to the OP 5000 and your pads are worn???? That's does not sound right. Are you tracking your car???
Na they probably aren't worn but they are squealing now. I don't track my car but have a habit of driving agressively.

And thanks for the info Girodisc Martin, helps alot
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:14 PM
Former Sponsor

We have Project Mu B-Force and Type HC+ in stock for EVO X. No adapters needed. Direct replace!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

figment?

Will X pads fit VIII? I'm told, the rear doesn't but the front will. I just bought oem evo X pads all around and I don't have use for the rear pads anymore. Anyone interested in buying it, pls make me an offer. Trades will be entertained too. The pads were used for 130+ miles so it's basically still new.

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
Well whatever you choose if you are planning on doing the rear pads along with the fronts you'll need some Girodisc Pad Adaptors.

Griodisc Pad Adaptors:

Last edited by evolutong; Sep 22, 2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: additional info's.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

oem rear pads

Originally Posted by Riz5
Well guys after 5,000 miles of driving this wonderful peice of machinery, I think it's time to change the pads. They're sqweaking now and the brake dust is horrible, especially since I drive a WW. I really don't know what to do at this point, so any suggestions would be helpful.

1. Has anyone tried aftermarket pads and whats the experience with them?

2. Should I just get new stock pads?

3. What can I do about this brake dust?

Thanks
If you decide to go stock, I have a oem rear pads that had only 13o+ miles on them. Give me a reasonable offer and you can have it or WTT it with Evo 8 oem rear pads?