Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

tires evo mr x

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tires evo mr x

Hi guys i wanted to change my tires .all weather performance tire need to drive in snow. I know ill give up little handling but can other tires give me a not so harsh ride thanks..
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:29 PM

I dont have much to add here other than I am also curious about this.

Denver has pretty mild winters when it comes to snowfall and a nice all-round season tire would interest me also.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:51 PM

I hear good things about Continental DWS, but it seems a shame to put all weather tires on this car. Alternatives would include 2 wheel/tire sets or just 2 sets of moderately priced season-specific tires with interseason tire swap. I liked the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo and Yoko W.drive combo. Both with decent tread life and great performance, though I understand that's not your preference.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Continental DWS would be your best bet.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

^^ this! I have conti's dws on my X but I kinda regret it. Not because it's bad but because I've only taken my X up to the snow only once(the tires did awesome btw!). I don't really need all weather tires in Northern California! Lol.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:59 AM

I would definately recommend the Conti DWS tires, especially if you daily drive your car. I did a lot of research and the Conti DWS tires were HIGHLY rated by users. I switched from the original Advan tires after about 8000 miles and have driven about 1500 miles on the Conti's. I wanted a quieter, smoother tire for daily driving and the Conti's fit that bill perfectly. I've driven in snow and the Conti's were great. There is one main trade-off though, the handling of the car in spirited driving did change some. The Advan's had stiffer sidewalls and therefore the car seemed to have less "roll" when cornering (obviously on dry pavement). Honestly, that means nothing to me though, I was looking for a tire that was quieter, and smoother for daily driving and the Conti's are perfect for me.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a set of dws, love them, need to pump them up though or they get squishy...
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Go get a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

unless you are in a place that never sees snow, I would highly recommend 2 sets of wheels/tires.

an all-season is a compromise no matter how you cut it. sure, the initial investment for 2 sets of wheels/tires is a bit hefty up front, but since you are only using each set half of the year, it sort of evens it out over time.

there is a reason the X comes with $300/corner tires from the factory. accept no compromise on the only thing between the earth and your car.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by derekste
unless you are in a place that never sees snow, I would highly recommend 2 sets of wheels/tires.

an all-season is a compromise no matter how you cut it. sure, the initial investment for 2 sets of wheels/tires is a bit hefty up front, but since you are only using each set half of the year, it sort of evens it out over time.

there is a reason the X comes with $300/corner tires from the factory. accept no compromise on the only thing between the earth and your car.
This.. you might not want to get two sets of wheels but it is your best bet..
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only you can make up your own mind about if you want to purchase 2 sets of tires or not. However, I would encourage you to do so. Just my .02 weigh in
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:38 AM
T6
Evolving Member

I went with Continental ExtremeContact DWS All Season Performance. The tires are pretty damn good. I drove it on ice and a bit of snow and it did its job. Compared to my advans summer the sacrifice of handling wasn't too bad because the tread life on the Cont. EC DWS is SOOOOOOOOO MUCH better and the handling isn't that off. Some turns I was able to take going 90 miles an hour without traction loss on the advans but with the DWS i take it about 75 miles an hour or I loose the traction a bit.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:42 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i just have a set of blizzaks for winter
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:46 AM

I have a set of Conti DWS that I use during the snowboarding season. We hardly get any snow in my city, but its there when i hit the mountains so all seasons made sense. They handle very well in the snow but I couldn't wait to put the stockers back on one it warmed up. These are definately not tires that I would drive around on year round.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:24 AM

Envigor

Where I live, I drive down through snow/ice/rain, then normal roads - and snows happen infrequently. Ice is more of an issue. Of the several tires I have tried, the Yokohama Envigors have been the best and wear the longest with mountain driving and do well on dry roads. The Advan S4's come close, but handle less well in wet/snow, slightly better on ice, and wear out 30% faster. As with all tires, it's a compromise.

Quick Reply: tires evo mr x