Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

15' evo x gsr Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 15' evo x gsr Brake problems

Hi guys, i just recently purchased an evo x about 4/5 months ago and the car has roughly 4600miles. I'm hearing a terrible squealing noise, I've already taken it to my dealer and told them about this but they said its common w/ brembo brakes I've already read a couple post on the topic here so i don't need to be reminded that there are other people w/ the same issues and answers on their posts. I am new to the car scene and don't know too much so I'd really appreciate if someone could explain to me what are my options on eliminating this squeaking problem in such a way that someone like me that doesn't know to much about cars would be able to understand. Thanks!!!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Solid mounted caliper, solid rotor, high performance brake pads = squealing sometimes. You should hear real race pads, it's sounds like you're killing children.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Solid mounted caliper, solid rotor, high performance brake pads = squealing sometimes. You should hear real race pads, it's sounds like you're killing children.
I love race pads

OP you're car is fine. Evo's make all kinds of noises, better get used to it
Old Jan 20, 2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
I love race pads

OP you're car is fine. Evo's make all kinds of noises, better get used to it
Damn...thanks guys I've heard this before but is there anyway to at least minimize the noise, that you know of or have tried, if not I guess I'll have to live with it lol...Evo life = squeaky pads😭😭😭
Old Jan 20, 2016, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd suggest you give Girodisc's Magic Pads a try. The factory compound is dusty and squeaky!
http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fro...VO_p_5925.html
Old Jan 20, 2016, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quieter, less dustier pads tend not to be better at stopping. Now, I don't mean they will not brake worth of crap, but just less.
I've read that Girodisc Magic Pads are good but have not tried them personally.
I've tried EBC greenstuff and redstuff on other cars and they are ok for street driving. Less dusty and quieter.
One thing to do is perhaps use clean the back of the pads and the shims and use brake lubricant like Permatex ceramic lubricant. It worked for the other cars in my household. Haven't tried it on the Evo though...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
My brembos don't really squeak often its only sometimes. You can try to re-grease the back of the pads and the shims that would prolly help before you start throwing money at a new brake pads.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Re-bed the pads, and stop driving the car like a grandma. High performance pads work better and are quieter when there is a good pad deposit on the rotor. If you drive the car easy all the time, that deposit isn't there. If your rotor's faces are shiny silver, that pad deposit isn't there and you're being too easy on the brakes. A couple of hard stops every day keeps them happier.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jan 20, 2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Re-bed the lads, and stop driving the car like a grandma. High performance pads work better and are quieter when there is a good pad deposit on the rotor. If you drive the car easy all the time, that deposit isn't there. If your rotors faces are shiny silver, that pad deposit isn't there and you're being too easy on the brakes. A couple of hard stops every day keeps them happier.
Lol I assure you I rip the car every chance I get it's so much fun! If I didn't then there would be no point in getting an evo in the first place but thanks for the advice bro
Old Feb 24, 2016, 07:16 PM

Just bought ceramic brake pads. Noise stopped but the bite isn't there as much. Never use on the track tho..
Old Feb 25, 2016, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Like they said, it is pretty normal to get brake squeal because of the high performance pads..

You can try to reduce the noise by cleaning the wheels. Sometimes alot of brake noise on Evos are due to some build up of brake dust and trying to wash it out with a hose helps. Some users have said they noticed a difference when they sprayed wheel cleaner on the rotors/brakes when washing the car. But this could cause a slick coating on the rotors right after you clean it (but will come off quickly after hitting the brakes a couple times) and some wheel cleaners and chemicals could harm the finish on the brembos, but most things are safe.

Best solution is to change the pads. I like Girodisc for a good medium of stopping power and noise. Or you can go completely ceramic and it helps reduce noise and dust ALOT.