Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Questions About Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions About Pads and Rotors

Hey guys, I'm still a bit new around here (posting on forums), but I do read a lot of the threads here to answer questions I have. So here's my question for this thread.

So, I went to the dealership to get an oil change, and get my squeaky brakes checked out, and it turns out I critically need new pads in the front. I bought my Evo X FE brand new from another dealership during the last week of April which had around 2.4k miles on it, and now it has around 9k miles. So yeah I'm guessing someone drove this car as a demo and wore out the pads quickly.

From the sticky thread about suspension parts, I decided to go with EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Low Dust as my choice for pads this time around (I read about other suggestions of other brands) which I had in my ralliart before. So this is my first time owning an Evo, and just wanted to confirm that the front rotors are 2 piece while the rear rotors are single piece?

And I'm actually planning to replace the rear pads as well, even though my dealership said those pads are still good. (Thinking it's best to have consistentcy)

I'm planning to buy my pads on carid which I bought things from before, so do you guys think is a good choice of pads and any concerns I should know of? I daily drive my car, and right now it's fully stock.

While looking at carid, it asks if the submodel has 2 piece rotors to give my the most specific fitment. So I'm assuming it means the front pads are for the 2 piece rotors while the rear are for the single piece? And the total price $276.35. My goal isn't trying to cheap out on parts, but get good braking power for the price. EBC is all I read about being one of the good choices and I have tried before, so my assumptions are limited. I have that read people use hawk pads, but I'm worried if they would squeak too much for daily driving because of their stopping power.

My only factor is trying to order parts quickly to have it done sooner, because I can feel my front pads do need to get changed, and the squeaking is the other indicator.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long post, but I do like to give as much details as I can.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Rotor type doesn't matter. Skip the EBC reds, they're not that great. Go with Girodsic S/S pads. They are a much better pad. I found them to be very close to OEM performance, if not better. They can be found here:
http://www.girodisc.com/Pads_c_605.html
The following users liked this post:
RockLee989 (Sep 27, 2017)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:19 AM
2x4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Rotor type doesn't matter. Skip the EBC reds, they're not that great. Go with Girodsic S/S pads. They are a much better pad. I found them to be very close to OEM performance, if not better. They can be found here:
http://www.girodisc.com/Pads_c_605.html
I second the Girodisc S/S pads. I have a little over 25,000 miles on them with no problems. I too think they are similar, if not a little better than OEM. The only thing I have noticed is they need a little heat in them to be 100%.

I'm at 52k miles on the car so I'm close to doing the rotors. I'll go with Girodisc rotors when I do.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 02:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RockLee989
Hey guys, I'm still a bit new around here (posting on forums), but I do read a lot of the threads here to answer questions I have. So here's my question for this thread.

So, I went to the dealership to get an oil change, and get my squeaky brakes checked out, and it turns out I critically need new pads in the front. I bought my Evo X FE brand new from another dealership during the last week of April which had around 2.4k miles on it, and now it has around 9k miles. So yeah I'm guessing someone drove this car as a demo and wore out the pads quickly.

From the sticky thread about suspension parts, I decided to go with EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Low Dust as my choice for pads this time around (I read about other suggestions of other brands) which I had in my ralliart before. So this is my first time owning an Evo, and just wanted to confirm that the front rotors are 2 piece while the rear rotors are single piece?

And I'm actually planning to replace the rear pads as well, even though my dealership said those pads are still good. (Thinking it's best to have consistentcy)

I'm planning to buy my pads on carid which I bought things from before, so do you guys think is a good choice of pads and any concerns I should know of? I daily drive my car, and right now it's fully stock.

While looking at carid, it asks if the submodel has 2 piece rotors to give my the most specific fitment. So I'm assuming it means the front pads are for the 2 piece rotors while the rear are for the single piece? And the total price $276.35. My goal isn't trying to cheap out on parts, but get good braking power for the price. EBC is all I read about being one of the good choices and I have tried before, so my assumptions are limited. I have that read people use hawk pads, but I'm worried if they would squeak too much for daily driving because of their stopping power.

My only factor is trying to order parts quickly to have it done sooner, because I can feel my front pads do need to get changed, and the squeaking is the other indicator.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long post, but I do like to give as much details as I can.
you bought your car "new" with 2400 miles on it? hope you got a huge discount, cause dead pads at sub 9k means its seen some serious abuse, prolly track days

I sold my evo at over 40k miles with the original pads still in there, and that include a bunch of autox.. no track days though

and about your real question, what the the other people said. ebc red's suck and 1 piece and 2 piece rotors are interchangeable. based on your pad choice, I'm assuming you won't be doing any track days, so the only thing you're getting from the 2 piece is bling and spending more money
Old Sep 20, 2017, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
you bought your car "new" with 2400 miles on it? hope you got a huge discount, cause dead pads at sub 9k means its seen some serious abuse, prolly track days

I sold my evo at over 40k miles with the original pads still in there, and that include a bunch of autox.. no track days though

and about your real question, what the the other people said. ebc red's suck and 1 piece and 2 piece rotors are interchangeable. based on your pad choice, I'm assuming you won't be doing any track days, so the only thing you're getting from the 2 piece is bling and spending more money
FE's come with 2 piece rotors. I think the online parts look up was asking him if the car had single or 2 piece rotors. Not that he was going to buy them.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys!!!!! I appreciate all the help! I went with the Girodisc S/S pads, and they have a lot of bite and I can easily feel the stopping power just by lightly tapping the brakes while daily driving.