Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Taking CONCAVE to a whole new level **Rota GRID 18x9.5**

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Rota wheels go through any quality control testing ex. VIA or JWL?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 04:09 AM

The pics show that JWL and VIA are stamped on the rim; probably a good chance they are quality tested by those standards. I've run rotas for years, they are a good quality rim for those on a budget.

My buddy has the volk te37s 19x10 on the rear of his Z and they look less concave than these. for an extremely concave rim for our evos.

Last edited by demonblackevo69; Sep 6, 2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 06:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by demonblackevo69
The pics show that JWL and VIA are stamped on the rim; probably a good chance they are quality tested by those standards. I've run rotas for years, they are a good quality rim for those on a budget.

My buddy has the volk te37s 19x10 on the rear of his Z and they look less concave than these. for an extremely concave rim for our evos.
The problem is that JWL and VIA markings can simply be incorporated into the mold.

Wheeldude:

Can i get a pic of the JAWA sticker?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vontzy
I want to buy wheels from Subydude because he puts his prices out there instead of these other shady wheel salespeople who refuse to discuss prices publicly.

$900 shipped for 18x9.5 sounds perfect to me. Anything is better than those terrible GSR wheels.

Originally Posted by demonblackevo69
Whoa, sweet looking rims, can I trade in my set of gforce rims that I just got from you guys ... just kidding, I'm loving them. These rims would look sweet on an Evo 8/9 if they came in 30 offset. Bump for a fantastic vendor.
Thanks! This model does have a lot of concave it will not clear Evo 8/9 Brembo's in +30 offset. We are only carry +20 for Evo fitment on all models, 8/9 will be an aggressive fit but you can fit these with proper fender mods and negative camber.
Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
Do Rota wheels go through any quality control testing ex. VIA or JWL?
Yes these wheels are JWL/VIA certified.
Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
The problem is that JWL and VIA markings can simply be incorporated into the mold.
Wheeldude:
Can i get a pic of the JAWA sticker?
Yes JWL/VIA marks can be incorporated in to the mold easily to fool people however that is NOT the case with Rota wheels. PAWI (company that manufactures Rota wheels) has been in producing wheels for 35+ years. They have the proper equipment to test their wheels and JWL/VIA employees often inspect this equipment to make sure everything meets their standards. A wheel can be JWL/VIA certified and not have a JAWA sticker, as this is the case with wheels from BBS, etc..

I've discussed this topic many times with Michael Rojas (owner of Rota wheels) and here is a quote from him

"JAWA is Japan Alloy Wheel Association. They are an association for Japanese Wheel Makers. Sort of like the SEMA. We were once a member of JAWA in the past when we had a office in Japan. It was quite expensive since there was a royalty of .30 cents per wheel that we produced. In exchange, you had the JAWA sticker with the serial number on the wheel.

JWL is the wheel licensing division of the VIA which is the Japan Vehicle Inspection Authority of Japan. In order for you to have a car registered in Japan, all the aftermarket items on the vehicle must be VIA certified."

The majority of OEM wheels in the Philippines are also made by PAWI. When I was in the Philippines last week we all attended a large car show and I recognized many of the wheels on these cars. Toyota, the largest car manufacture in the world even had some wheels on their 2009 models that are made by PAWI/Rota

Here's an up to date certificate from JWL/VIA certifying the equipment used at PAWI meets their standards (linking since this is a large image)

http://www.wheeldude.com/gallery2/d/...tification.jpg

Picture of the testing facility from Rota's site, I have some of our own shots that I took last week while at Rota. I will be posting them up next week when we upload the rest of the pictures from our trip.

-Dan

Last edited by WheelDude.com; Sep 6, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks for your thorough response!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

I appreciate your responses. It actually makes me feel better knowing that you have some associations with OEM.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Mounted on a Evo X with 265/35/18 Toyo T1R tires. This car needs a drop really bad

-Dan
Old Sep 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this might be the only rota wheels that I'll get..
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WICKed'N'EVO
this might be the only rota wheels that I'll get..
It's a great wheel

-Dan
Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:30 PM

Is this the only size the is available? Will there ever be more sizes?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

looks good, but not my style of rims
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

I know this is for Evo X , but do you have GRID Bronce in any other sizes like 18x8.5 ?? for a Lancer 09? or a set up that fits the lancer? if yes, pm me shipped to PR 00784 I will apreciate your response. Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turbotech
I know this is for Evo X , but do you have GRID Bronce in any other sizes like 18x8.5 ?? for a Lancer 09? or a set up that fits the lancer? if yes, pm me shipped to PR 00784 I will apreciate your response. Thanks
Replied to your PM, we do have 18x8.5 +44 Matte Bronze coming in. Would be an awesome setup on a Lancer

-Dan
Old Sep 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
It's a great wheel

-Dan
are these available or they have to special order? the 18X9.5 +20 wheels.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

any pictures on a 9 or an 8? Price shipped to 98372?

Quick Reply: Taking CONCAVE to a whole new level **Rota GRID 18x9.5**