Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Installed Megan Coilovers on my Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Megan Coilovers on my Evo X

I just got the car back from having my megan coilovers installed. As always they do a great job. Wasn't too many years ago when I hated to pay for labor, but now, I'm getting old and have a kid, so it's not practical to sit around all day with the car taken apart. Orlando did a great job installing and aligning the car.

The Megans are pretty much the same as the BC racings. They have an 8k spring up front with a 6k spring in the rear. They include extenders for the rear adjustors so you can reach them (which are pretty easily reached through the washer reservoir/battery doors. 32 clicks, I have them 10 clicks from full stiff right now. The ride height adjustment is separate from spring preload, which is great, because you can dump the car and retain all the travel you want.

I didn't dump it too far, as this is still my family sedan. I have about a 2 finger tire gap all around. And, with my 35mm offset 19x9.5 wheels, I'm afraid I'm rocking the sunken battleship look... but it's ok. I may do spacers at some point, but with the Evo's wicked quick steering, that much scrub radius is gonna be a pain on bumpy roads or when I hit berms at the track... (well, like I ever go anymore)

So far they ride great. I picked up my 1 year old and she didn't seem to mind (she likes to whoop and yell when the car moves around a lot, like when I go around a corner, etc) and she slept on the way home from day care. That's a good sign. The Evo X isn't exactly the best riding car in the world, and the Megans definitely make the ride worse, but I wouldn't say it's objectionable. Sharp bumps are a bit harsher, bigger bumps feel pretty much the same. It's not bouncy at all, which was my main concern.

I think that compliance - wise, your average lowering spring on stock shocks probably rides a little better, but gives up a decent amount of control to the Megans. From the cars I've ridden in (with swifts and with the Eibach Prokit) my car feels the same over big bumps, (like on 237 over the bridges, the big slow bumps that can upset a car if the low speed damping is too low) and a touch harsher on sharp small bumps (think expansion joints on the freeway). The biggest difference is that my car feels really planted where both cars with the lowering springs didn't like to be upset in corners.

That said, I really haven't pushed the car much being that it's raining right now. More impressions to follow later. So far, I really like them, especially for the price! Thanks MA Performance for the hookup, I was shocked at how cheap they sold them to me for. It was whip out the credit card and where do I send payment cheap.

And, sorry for the crappy iPhone pic!
Attached Thumbnails Installed Megan Coilovers on my Evo X-photo.jpg  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

answered all my questions. pm me the price u payed if u can.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Car looks great man.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:53 PM

BTW, just a bit of background on myself. I've had my Evo X for 2 months, but I had an Evo IX MR before. I had Eibach springs and then Megans on it, as well as KW V3s.

I've used LOTS of coilovers on various track cars, from Penske AutoX shocks on my s2000, to Moton Club Sports on my E46 M3, as well as other cheaper coilovers on my other s2000s, (I've had 4)... Tein Mono Flex, regular Flex, PSS9s, BC Racing, KW v2 and v3, etc etc. I used to go to the track quite a bit but haven't been in over a year (in my old 335i with PSS9s). I am not a suspension tuner by any means, but I've run a lot of well setup cars. I used to do all the wrenching myself. I instruct (well or used to when I was going more) with a couple of clubs around here and can be kinda fast, although I'm not the fastest guy out there and I have zero real race experience, just some time trials.

So take my opinion for what it's worth Happy to answer any more questions.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm glad you like them. The details are perfect, mind if I use this post to hustle a few sets hahah!

Let me know if you need anything else! You know I got you covered!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:31 AM

Sure, feel fee to use this post as a reference!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:27 AM
raz
Evolving Member

hi when you say like bc, are they made by the same company, and is there any noise in the rear, and do they come with rebber perches or pillow *****, thankyou
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like the look of those wheels, can't wait to get mine on the road in a few weeks too! Sounds like those coilovers are treating you well, you will have to do a followup impression after a track event and long term driving.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

good write up! now im thinking of this one.

Kitw, if you dont mind, can I get the detailed adjustment..got kids as well..and the most important of all, a wife that will complain if the car has an uncomfortable ride.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Kitw talks suspension, I listen. He's had more suspensions on the same car, than I've had cars, or close to it. And he's tracked almost every one of them. He's been very picky of suspension in the past, so if he's happy with these, I'm impressed with them.

I also got first dibs on them when he gets bored of them and wants to try something else
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Megans worked out real well for me.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:47 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

I posted this in another thread but my experience with Megan and BC Racing was pretty bad.

They worked great when new but they wore out very fast. I went through 2 sets (1 Megan, 1 BC Type BR) in the span of 2 years. Tight and comfortable when new, bouncy and completely undrivable when worn.

Not only was the product bad, customer service was worse - they pretty much told me it was wear and tear and asked me to pay up for a new set of shocks within the 1 year warranty period.

I had 4 sets of suspension on my previous Evo. I tracked and autocrossed all of them... I wrote positive reviews of their products in the past but after my experiences, I will never purchase another Bor Chuan product again.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

thats pretty crazy and not usually heard of, in over 930 sets of bc's i have less then 10 calls about warranty issues in. the differences between the BR's and the megans = megans do not have the fixed cup/locking collar, so after setting height and driving the car a bit, it will change heights, camber...wear out some tires and the bc's have a 53mm damper, larger. as we all know all manufactured at the same place.

should check out the inverted or ER series for racing, much better performance.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by kitw
The biggest difference is that my car feels really planted where both cars with the lowering springs didn't like to be upset in corners. !
I have the SWIFT springs on my 'MR' and I absolutely agree with your point. Under high lateral load conditions, any bumps or undulations mid corner really throw off my car. Great review, by the way.

J

Quick Reply: Installed Megan Coilovers on my Evo X