Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front caliper paint chips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front caliper paint chips

Does anyone know why my brake caliper paint has more than a couple of paint chips, 1/2 a fingernail in size, on them? They're on the outside and top sides of the calipers (both). Nothing I could see on the bottom or on the inside. They clean up nice, nice finish. But chipped.

Could the wheels flex like that (assuming HPDEs)? I can't figure out what has caused that. I don't ever ever drive on gravel.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:43 AM

Must be the silver ones! Can you post some pics? Pretty sure mine did the same except it went one step futher and the clear turned yellow in some spots. Mitsu warrantied the caliper and I am waiting to have it replace.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did you swap out or remove your rims recently?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:06 PM

i have a small chip on my driver side front. its just getting larger and larger. wheel was never taken off. anyone know of a good matching touch up paint?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

seems like you guys have the same problems as the early evo 8s did with the calipers fading and chipping....
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I think beetleorange has the clue I'm needing. Absolutely no fading is occurring, these things are marvelous looking and have definitely been browned by track-level of heat. But when putting the rims back on yesterday, and being careful, it dawned on me how easy it would be for a gorilla style R&R to not be as careful as the owner would be. I'm pretty sure that the size of the fronts compared to the backs made it too easy for the thugs doing the R&R's of my rims during tire installs to have dinged them. It obviously doesn't take a lot to mess them up.

Has anyone found a suitable touch up paint, red, that's got engine heat type of resistance, with the enamel luster of the original paint? I guess I better go search for that next

:-)
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the thugs who switched out my rims chipped my stock enkei's and XXR's! They replaced the XXR's after I said something... They also chipped the back side of my brembo's as well, you can't see it unless the rims are off THANK GOD! Good luck finding touch up paint that matches powder cost.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there was a thread about discount tire damaging the OP's rims. it made me realize that the one and only time i went for my rims to get swapped out could have been the time my rear drivers side brembo's got chipped. at that time my car only had 2000 miles and i have 4500 miles now.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is a problem, all four of mine have minor chips now, Its just debris, When they get bad, take them off, sand them, hi temp primer, hi temp paint, hi temp vinyl brembo logo, and hi temp clear coat, will have them looking new, theres a how-to on this out there, they come out quite nicely.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

mm...i used to use g4 caliper paint. it should work for just touch up purposes. their red should match the brembo red if i recall.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

you can always get some "Cariper Paint" hahaha