Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Horrible Tire Mounting Story [Metro Mitsubishi, Southgate Michigan]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, I would like to thank you for this thread, as I am having my tires changed as soon as they arrive. I am making double sure that this doesn't happen to my < 1500 mile perfect rims.

Second, there are rim repair services out there that can fix your wheels and return them back to a stock or better than stock condition. For example, here in Omaha, there is company called wheeltechinc.com that can fix some heavily damaged rims. (look at their examples) I bet you could get the dealer to ship your rims out to a place like this (preferably closer to you), and have your rims fixed for a lot less than the price of new OEM rims.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannyK24
You are over reacting. Most of those scratches or what you call gouges are caused by the previous clip on weights It is IMPOSSIBLE to remove and apply them without scratching the wheels.

You should have asked for tape weights for inside of wheels. Some of the damage is also due to debris hitting your wheels on the road. I'm actually surprised the dealership didn't mention this.

They also may have tried to balance the wheels with an out of calibration balancer, which means when they apply the clip on weight, spin it, the balancer says to add/remove weight.

Good luck.
Pics 4,5,13 are definitely from the weights as I have the same marks left from when my MR's BBS wheels got re-balanced. There's nothing you can do about that as these scuffs come from removal of the environmentally friendly lead-free weights. In my case I did ask for the tape on weights as IMO they should come that way from the factory.

However the other ones are inexcusable IMO. I've never seen that much damage done on a tire install.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

METRO MITSUBISHI SUCKS!!!! My cousin bought a 09 lancer from them and the day we picked it up it was not even DETAILED dirty engine bay seats messed up..... WTF when anyone buys a new car i expect a detail!!!! Good luck man my dad usually gets his oil changed from them in his 09 Outlander now he goes to Moran Mitsubishi. I even let the service manager take my evo out for a spin on Fort Street back in April...... And they never let me test drive theri X MR in their Showroom

Last edited by Malik_EvoIX; Dec 1, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golden
First off, I would like to thank you for this thread, as I am having my tires changed as soon as they arrive. I am making double sure that this doesn't happen to my < 1500 mile perfect rims.

Second, there are rim repair services out there that can fix your wheels and return them back to a stock or better than stock condition. For example, here in Omaha, there is company called wheeltechinc.com that can fix some heavily damaged rims. (look at their examples) I bet you could get the dealer to ship your rims out to a place like this (preferably closer to you), and have your rims fixed for a lot less than the price of new OEM rims.
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I cannot be car-less for that long. I have a busy college schedule. I suppose I could get a rental car, but I doubt they would pay for it. I'll just try working on getting replacements, then having someone else put them on without damaging the rim since the dealer seems incapable.
Originally Posted by Malik_EvoIX
METRO MITSUBISHI SUCKS!!!! My cousin bought a 09 lancer from them and the day we picked it up it was not even DETAILED dirty engine bay seats messed up..... WTF when anyone buys a new car i expect a detail!!!! Good luck man my dad usually gets his oil changed from them in his 09 Outlander now he goes to Moran Mitsubishi. I even let the service manager take my evo out for a spin on Fort Street back in April...... And they never let me test drive theri X MR in their Showroom
hah, wow. Similar deal with my X. I thought it would be detailed when I got it, but I ended up taking it home and doing it myself. It still had tape lines on it, fuzz all over the seats, dust on the engine, finger prints and tape all over the windows, etc. Good thing I used to have a job detailing new cars at a dealership years ago and I still have good cleaning products to get some of the glues off easy. The Metro Mitsubishi dealer is just understaffed and it looks like they could go out of business any day.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I cannot be car-less for that long. I have a busy college schedule. I suppose I could get a rental car, but I doubt they would pay for it. I'll just try working on getting replacements, then having someone else put them on without damaging the rim since the dealer seems incapable.

hah, wow. Similar deal with my X. I thought it would be detailed when I got it, but I ended up taking it home and doing it myself. It still had tape lines on it, fuzz all over the seats, dust on the engine, finger prints and tape all over the windows, etc. Good thing I used to have a job detailing new cars at a dealership years ago and I still have good cleaning products to get some of the glues off easy. The Metro Mitsubishi dealer is just understaffed and it looks like they could go out of business any day.
Metro Mitsubishi used to be a " Pep Boys" but i guess the ford Dealer next door owns it. I bought mine evo from Southgate back in 07 on Fort street they gave me a nice cleaned waxed evo with a full tank of gas. Metro mitsubishi will go out of business they have more Ford cars on their lot than Mitsubishi's. When i went their with my cousin to buy his 09 lancer there were only 4 other Mitsubishi's in their lot.... 2 galants, eclipse, lancer
Old Dec 1, 2009, 07:39 PM

There is a rim repair shop down in Detroit, I'm unsure of the name...
Back to your situation, it looks pretty bad tho, I'd tell the manager that if this situation keeps going in circles that you'd like to sue... That'll usually get them to fess up and fix it.
Where in Michigan do you live?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ a place by my house (Northville 5 mile and northville RD) Weldcrafters they do good work.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Malik_EvoIX
Metro Mitsubishi used to be a " Pep Boys" but i guess the ford Dealer next door owns it. I bought mine evo from Southgate back in 07 on Fort street they gave me a nice cleaned waxed evo with a full tank of gas. Metro mitsubishi will go out of business they have more Ford cars on their lot than Mitsubishi's. When i went their with my cousin to buy his 09 lancer there were only 4 other Mitsubishi's in their lot.... 2 galants, eclipse, lancer
It started out as a Pep Boys, then it turned into Flexivity (you can see the Flexivity logo on the Nissan Skyline's hood in 2 Fast 2 Furious), then it turned into Southgate Tire, then it sat vacant for about 2 or 3 years, now it is Metro Mitsubishi.
Originally Posted by Deception
There is a rim repair shop down in Detroit, I'm unsure of the name...
Back to your situation, it looks pretty bad tho, I'd tell the manager that if this situation keeps going in circles that you'd like to sue... That'll usually get them to fess up and fix it.
Where in Michigan do you live?
I'm just down the road from there in Trenton.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:03 PM

That's definitely ****ty dude. Although a lot of those marks are from the factory wheel weights (as already stated). I mounted/balanced my own winter tires and I was ridiculously careful when removing those weights and I still managed to scratch the wheels a bit and you can still see where the weights were mounted. Sad thing is, you have the pound on weights on again, so when you get your summer tires mounted expect more marks to show up. I guess the only bright side is that they were OEM wheels and not $2200 advans.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm keeping these rims & tires as my winter set. I'm going to be purchasing new rims and tires for the summer when the time comes.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

thats from someone taking a turn HARD in your car. all the others is from the old wheel weights 1st pic looks like they sanded it. did the dealer supply those tires?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blkmkIII
thats from someone taking a turn HARD in your car. all the others is from the old wheel weights 1st pic looks like they sanded it. did the dealer supply those tires?
The tire scuff is from going around our michigan u-turns fast when I got a green light. And for the last time.. all the marks are not from wheel weights. If they are, they used crowbars and channel locks to beat them off, all the way around the circumference of the rim.. because it's all over the place, not just in the spot where the weights were. They already said most of the damage was caused by the machine that puts the tire on the rim.

Last edited by wiretap; Dec 2, 2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Who ever mounted your tires royally sucked!!!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

i hate run arounds and can't get a straight answer. keep pressuring those fools.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

I don't understand why people bring vehicles in for tire changes at dealerships. Most mechanics at dealerships don't know squat about tires, let alone understand how to mount/dismount tires correctly without damaging the wheel. lol i bet most dealerships would patch a tire on the shoulder if you brought in a tire with a puncture there.

Go to a TIRE shop for TIRE needs. 90% of the time they have people who actually know something about tires and will treat your wheels right. The best tire stores that i know about are america's tire/discount tire. of course take this with a grain of salt.... there are always going to be stores who's workers don't care and rush to finish things.

Good luck with this tho! don't let those foo's get away with this.

Quick Reply: Horrible Tire Mounting Story [Metro Mitsubishi, Southgate Michigan]