Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need honest opinion on tire width and street usage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about the nitto invos? what category would they fall in?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by teudmunki9mr
what about the nitto invos? what category would they fall in?
i heard they were pretty ****ty compared to the stock advans...they are more of a budget performance summer tire...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

really? dang. i was really rooting for the invos. just didn't know what category they fell in.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by teudmunki9mr
really? dang. i was really rooting for the invos. just didn't know what category they fell in.
if you want to stick with NITTO....you would have to go NT-05 at least...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
youre gonna need at least 315s
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Sigh this has been discussed ad nauseum.

The current "best" crop of street tires are:
RE-11, Star Spec, AD-08

followed by
NT-05, XS, stock tire

followed by
rt-615 (and potentially the new RT-615K due next year, which might move up in this hierarchy)

Anything else will fall below this. If you want the greatest dry performance, those are your choices. Don't look at biased reviews or classes or anything else. This is it. Rain/wet performance is harder to quantify. IMO all of these have good wet performance.

Don't take my word for it. Go look at the tires used for SCCA autocrosses by the good guys in the ST* classes. Of the above the only one you won't see is the NT-05 and it's being used on the NASA time trials circuit (which an EvoX won in convincing manner last year on NT05s).
So in your opinion Goofy, the RE-11, AD08, and Star Specs are ALL superior to the NT-05's? Just wondering your opinion on this. Also where would you put the RS-3?

Its about time falken comes out with something new, those RT-615's are getting old! I remember they were pretty great about 3 years ago lol.

Also, should probably start a new topic, but do you have any expirience with the Sumitomo HTR Z II ? Not for competition, obviously, but just for daily driving? Only reason I ask about the Sumis, they are SO CHEAP. 285/35ZR18 for $112.00!! (each)

Last edited by c_reber; Dec 23, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by c_reber
So in your opinion Goofy, the RE-11, AD08, and Star Specs are ALL superior to the NT-05's? Just wondering your opinion on this. Also where would you put the RS-3?

Its about time falken comes out with something new, those RT-615's are getting old! I remember they were pretty great about 3 years ago lol.

Also, should probably start a new topic, but do you have any expirience with the Sumitomo HTR Z II ? Not for competition, obviously, but just for daily driving? Only reason I ask about the Sumis, they are SO CHEAP. 285/35ZR18 for $112.00!! (each)
If anything you should stay away from the Sumitomo II's.....if you are absolutely dead set on cheap sumitomos....then I would AT LEAST get the Sumitomo HTZ Z III's.....I heard they some what like the poorman's Michelin PS2....Even if they were a daily tire, I'm sure they would disturb the balance of the evo way too much...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

+1 for Kumho XS

Kumho XS tires are in the same league as the Starspecs and have run faster than the Dunlops in dry pavement tests conducted by Grassroots Motorsports magazine and Tirerrack. That's why I went with them. They run just fine in the rain. They have more lateral grip than the stock Advans but a softer sidewall. More firm than Michelin PS2s but not Bridgestone stiff. With the softer sidewall, they are not as sharp in initial turn in as the stockers but the upside is the softer sidewall results in a smoother and quieter ride than the stockers. They are amazingly well mannered for a high performance tire. Can't say how much tread life you can get out them or how much louder they get as the tread wears. I'm only at 3,000 miles on the set.

http://www.kumhousa.com/News_Article...b-db7ada19bf8d

Last edited by triguy; Dec 23, 2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven88
If anything you should stay away from the Sumitomo II's.....if you are absolutely dead set on cheap sumitomos....then I would AT LEAST get the Sumitomo HTZ Z III's.....I heard they some what like the poorman's Michelin PS2....Even if they were a daily tire, I'm sure they would disturb the balance of the evo way too much...
Thanks for your opinions, what type of car did you have them on? What do you mean disturb the balance? And yes, it would ONLY be for daily driving, santa brought me some star specs for racing. They would rarely see rain (NV), and just commuting miles. I also wonder how long they last and noise.

The HTR II's For $112 dollars each it's less than half the price of the "big boy" tires that are also discussed in this thread. Least expensive being the XS for $224 in 265/35/18. (for some reason the II's in 285 size are cheaper than 265 or 275 also) I just checked and the III's are $179.00 (each) for 275/35/18's, so not bad either. Hell I only want the 285's for the bling factor