Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone installed Swift lowering springs with Upgraded Sway Bars in front/rear?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone installed Swift lowering springs with Upgraded Sway Bars in front/rear?

Was wondering if anyone has installed the Swift springs with stiffer/larger front and rear sway bars? And, is the consensus that Whiteline makes the best sway bars for the EvoX? I've installed Hotchkiss sway bars on my Audi S4, but new to Evo's.

Also, for my AWD S4, I installed stiffer front and rear sway bars. Do most EvoX owners upgrade both front/rear, but make it stiffer in the rear to dial out understeer? I found that the stiffer front bar helped with quicker turn in, so I upgraded that also.

I don't want to do coilovers at this point b/c of cost and since most driving is twisty roads and not DE or AX.

Thank you for your thoughts and input.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

I opted against coilovers for the same reason. I used to have them on my previous vehicle which saw a lot more track action.

There isn't a consensus on which swaybars for the EVO X are the best. You're going to see posts from people who favor one brand over another.

The good news is that a combination of the Swift springs and a set of virtually any aftermarket adjustable swaybars will definitely improve the handling of your EVO X over the stock set up. I went with Hotchkis with the front on the softest setting and the rear in the middle setting. I like them fine. Installation of the rear is easy. The front is more labor intensive.

Swifts are popular and have a 1" drop in the front which is lowest suspension tuners recommend for the stock struts. People will debate the point that you can lower an EVO X more than an inch and the handling won't suffer or your struts can handle the drop.

Lowering springs change the suspension geometry up front and increases understeer. One option to compensate for this is the Whiteline roll center kit, which improves improves initial turn-in in the twisties.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
^ that.

I had them on my 8.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-reviewed.html

Swifts or Whiteline - good choices.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by triguy
I opted against coilovers for the same reason. I used to have them on my previous vehicle which saw a lot more track action.

There isn't a consensus on which swaybars for the EVO X are the best. You're going to see posts from people who favor one brand over another.

The good news is that a combination of the Swift springs and a set of virtually any aftermarket adjustable swaybars will definitely improve the handling of your EVO X over the stock set up. I went with Hotchkis with the front on the softest setting and the rear in the middle setting. I like them fine. Installation of the rear is easy. The front is more labor intensive.

Swifts are popular and have a 1" drop in the front which is lowest suspension tuners recommend for the stock struts. People will debate the point that you can lower an EVO X more than an inch and the handling won't suffer or your struts can handle the drop.

Lowering springs change the suspension geometry up front and increases understeer. One option to compensate for this is the Whiteline roll center kit, which improves improves initial turn-in in the twisties.
Thanks for the input. I've found that stiffer sway bars really help reduce the body roll, but don't have experience with lowering springs. I think Swift's 1" drop, with the Sport Mech's lower stiffness vs. SpecR's, is probably good for my driving.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think that Swifts make Spec-Rs for the EVO X yet. Just the EVO 8/9.

If you want a first person review of the Swifts, PM Clipse3GT on this forum for a review of his Swift/swaybar set up.