Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Kics or Ichiba wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kics or Ichiba wheel spacers?

I am looking to pick up some wheel spacers and have done my searching on here and on the other Evo site and have come down two brands and I am not sure which one to go with, so I am looking for some input from thoughts of you who are using them.

Kics Pros:
- Polycarbonate hub centering rings
- Talked to a few guys who use them in autocross with no issues
Kics Cons:
- $348 with hub rings (Evasive motorsports)

Ichiba Pros:
- $270 (I think this is with hub rings?)
Ichiba Cons:
- Aluminum hub rings (have heard of issues with these being loose causing vibrations)

Also not sure what each of them are made of other then "Light weight Aluminum" so hopefully someone might be able to let me know. Also if any of our sponsors sell these let me know as I would like to give them the business if possible. Also what are the studs made of? I have thought about replacing the studs (with either brand) with some ARPs as well.

Also I am looking to run 25mm spacers front and back, so if anyone has the 25mm spacers let me know if they rub for you. I have found half the people say 25mm will rub up front and the other half say they wont. Also from the people who say 25mm rub up front, half of them say it only rubs on lock to lock turns and others say it only rubs on bumps so there is very scatered info as to if the 25mm will work or not. Either way I think I will order the 25mm spacers and if the fronts rub I will just get them shaved down 20mm at a machine shop and just run a staggered offset front/back. (no this will not hurt the AWD... it's the tire diameter that has to be the same all around)

Last edited by Freebs; Feb 13, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Ichiba 15mm slip-on spacers w/extended studs and they're nice. The spacer is clear-anodized CNC'd aluminum and comes with an integrated hubcentric ring. And the studs are included. I have an extra set for sale if you're interested.

Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

I was going to go with that set up and run some longer ARPs but this is just for my winter wheels and would interfere with my summer wheel set up since I will be going with a more aggressive offset on the wheel. I know I could just go with an open lug nut and take the spacers out for summer, but I have never liked this idea since crap gets on the studs and can cause them to bind when pulling a wheel off. Thank you for the offer though

Last edited by Freebs; Feb 13, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

ZK has had both and said the Ichiba work but not same quality as the Kics. Based on his recomendation, I bought Kics for my winter set up.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Get them from here: Motorsport Technology. The spacers you'll want to get (they call them wheel adapters) are the one piece adapters that are "Hub Centric to Vehicle and Wheel Centric to Vehicle Wheel".

I have their 25mm spacers on my stock wheels, stock size tires, I'm on Eibach springs and I don't have any of my fenders rolled. The fronts will only rub the fender liner at full lock in either direction. In the rear, the tire will rub the fender around turns and over large bumps if there's two people in the back seat or one person with the trunk loaded. With myself and someone in the passenger seat (emtpy back seats) and some small things in the trunk, it never rubs.

The quality of the spacers is top notch and I couldn't ask for anything more. I torqued the spacers to 80 ft/lbs and then torqued the wheels to 80 ft/lbs as well. I've taken some hard corners and had the car over 100mph and there's never been any shaking or vibration from the wheels. The stock wheels will sit nice and flush with the fenders, pretty much identical to a 18x9.5 +22 wheel. They were something like $265 shipped.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Feb 14, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
Get them from here: Motorsport Technology. The spacers you'll want to get (they call them wheel adapters) are the one piece adapters that are "Hub Centric to Vehicle and Wheel Centric to Vehicle Wheel".

I have their 25mm spacers on my stock wheels, stock size tires, I'm on Eibach springs and I don't have any of my fenders rolled. The fronts will only rub the fender liner at full lock in either direction. In the rear, the tire will rub the fender around turns and over large bumps if there's two people in the back seat or one person with the trunk loaded. With myself and someone in the passenger seat (emtpy back seats) and some small things in the trunk, it never rubs.

The quality of the spacers is top notch and I couldn't ask for anything more. I torqued the spacers to 80 ft/lbs and then torqued the wheels to 80 ft/lbs as well. I've taken some hard corners and had the car over 100mph and there's never been any shaking or vibration from the wheels. The stock wheels will sit nice and flush with the fenders, pretty much identical to a 18x9.5 +22 wheel. They were something like $265 shipped.

Thank you... After checking out their site I have definatly made up my mind and will be going with them.

Do you have pictures of your car with them on?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Ichiba type 2 15mm wheel spacers. They are of top quality. They're the same design as Motorsport. I've driven through pot holes in the winter and they have held up.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freebs
Thank you... After checking out their site I have definatly made up my mind and will be going with them.

Do you have pictures of your car with them on?
I'll grab a couple shots today when I get home from work.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:45 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

For Bolt-on spacers, the quality is nicer on the KICS. The Ichiba work but the threads are not as smooth - definitely lower quality. I actually had both. I've done track days and lots of autocross events on the Ichiba spacers.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
I'll grab a couple shots today when I get home from work.
Thank you

If it is easier to send them to my email feel free to send them there

Joshua.Freeborn@edu.sait.ca

Originally Posted by ZK
For Bolt-on spacers, the quality is nicer on the KICS. The Ichiba work but the threads are not as smooth - definitely lower quality. I actually had both. I've done track days and lots of autocross events on the Ichiba spacers.
Is it just burs on them? or were the threads just that bad in general?

Last edited by Freebs; Feb 15, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freebs

Is it just burs on them? or were the threads just that bad in general?
When you screw on the lug nut, it doesn't go on smooth. Almost feels like you are stripping the thread and it gets hard to turn - you turn it some more and it is smooth again, then not smooth etc. I applied some anti-seize to the spacer studs to make it better. Otherwise it works. You can definitely tell where they cut costs.

The KICS I had were smooth just like the OEM studs.

Last edited by ZK; Feb 16, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

I have/used Ichiba Version 2.
They are awesome, come with the Centric Hub

I bought them from Touge Factory and I paid less then youre estimated price in your first post.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got a chance to grab a few pics...sorry it took so long.

25mm spacers on stock GSR wheels:

Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:23 PM

all spacers are alike except the stud strength. The best way for anything 1-15mm is order ARP studs with any spacer w/ hubrings.

25mm and up, order spacers that are pressed in. I have used both ichiba and kics, both are good spacers.