Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Streching Winter Tire use

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Streching Winter Tire use

I have a dilemma. I'm currently running a set of Winter Sport M3s on my stock wheels. The plan was to put my now-loose summer tires onto a new set of wheels.

Unfortunately, two wheel purchases with vendors have fallen through when "in stock" wheels turned out to have expected delivery dates in June. Not that there was any deception by either of them, it was just bad luck on my part.

My question is, if I wait on these wheels I'm going to be on my winter tires until mid June. I'm in Ohio, so it doesn't get scorching, but I am trying to figure out how badly I may damage them by running them for the next 4 weeks.

The alternatives are to simply give up and not buy wheels, or to temporarily swap my summer tires back on to the winter wheels and have to do 3 mount and balances instead of 1. I guess I'd like to stretch it, but I don't want to ruin a set of expensive tires. I only have a 3-4 mile drive to work, so they wouldn't see a lot of miles, I don't think.

Any suggestions? No of the options are great...

Last edited by gizmotoy; May 14, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been running Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds for a few months, and will likely still end up with them until next week. I am not aware that driving winter tires in the summer would damage them, but you would be wasting precious tread on expensive winter tires.

Like me, you probably don't have much of a choice, and considering you only have a 4mile commute I would not even sweat it. I have been doing 120mi/day since March on winters.