Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need to buy brake pads

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlienEvoX
Well I got the Ferodo DS2500 for a decent price locally so I bought them to try them out. I mostly just DD my car but I do take it to like 3 or 4 track events although I dont push it to the limit so they should be ok. If I dont like them then I think I will try the ET500 next.
Hey Alien, can you post with an update on how the DS2500's are? I'm due for new pads and would like to hear your experience with them.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

The ET-500 is not a track pad, it is best used as a street pad and an AX pad. The 500 compound can be overheated on track and the performance will drop off very quickly. The ET-800 is a better choice for a street/AX pad that can handle some light track duty. The Et-900 is more of a track compound, it can handle way more heat..but also can be street driven, it just takes a little heat to get them up to the best operating temp on the street. There are several vendors for the RacingBrake products...my sponsor is one of them. Pete
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by iceman1680
Hey Alien, can you post with an update on how the DS2500's are? I'm due for new pads and would like to hear your experience with them.
Yep how did they treat ya?

ya gonna stick with them or still try out the ET500 next?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on what you wants to spend and how you intend to use the car. If you only do 1-2 autocross a year and the car is primarily a DD you can save money using good mass produced premium semi-metallic pads. That is basically what the OEM pads are. The short time of an autocross run willl not heat the brakes up to fade much. My local parts shop cares Wagners premium semi-metallic pads and I get a life time warranty. I don't know the price for the front pads since mine have not warn out but the back pads were less than $50 (with warranty). I dont want an agressive pad for the street because they just eat rotors for no reason.

That being said, if you are more serious about your autocross or intend to take your Evo to track events I recommend dedicated pads for those Events. I have been teaching at high performance driving education (HPDE) schools for over 10 years. I swap my street tire for R compund tires and inexpensive street brake pads for racing pads before the event. Since I only do road course, I use a full race pad on track days. Everyone has a favorite pad but after many years of using just bands and types I have settled on Raybesto ST43 for all of my track cars. They are very rotor friendly for a race pad. The modulation is excellent. They don't crumble like even hawk's, ferodos .... high end pads do. Remember the EVO X MR is a very heavy track car. The st43s take the heat better than most race pads without destroying rotors as quickly as most race pads.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:49 PM

Hawk HPs are good. I have been using the Ferodo 2500 and 3000 for track