Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo X RS brakes vs. Evo X brakes vs. lancer GTS brakes ??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X RS brakes vs. Evo X brakes vs. lancer GTS brakes ??

Can anyone tell me where to find a definitive answer on my question at the end of this thread?:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ly-brakes.html

Starting a new thread since it's really a different topic. Basically what I want is an OEM caliper that will let me run a 15" wheel on an Evo X. the JDM RS came with smaller calipers and rotors and 16" wheels (which may or may not be the same as the lancer GTS). That said, I've always heard that GTS brakes are not compatible with Evo brakes. Can somebody let me know what the deal is here?

I'd like 15s for ice racing, so stopping power and heat is a non-issue. 16" wheels would be the next best thing.

Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get 16" wheels.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
Can anyone tell me where to find a definitive answer on my question at the end of this thread?:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ly-brakes.html

Starting a new thread since it's really a different topic. Basically what I want is an OEM caliper that will let me run a 15" wheel on an Evo X. the JDM RS came with smaller calipers and rotors and 16" wheels (which may or may not be the same as the lancer GTS). That said, I've always heard that GTS brakes are not compatible with Evo brakes. Can somebody let me know what the deal is here?

I'd like 15s for ice racing, so stopping power and heat is a non-issue. 16" wheels would be the next best thing.

Thanks.
WHo did you asked ? The US dealers... LOL Fact in the US not one dealer saw the RS line what we talking about. Not even with a CT9A. Here the EVos always came with Brembos, and we doenst have a X RS which has a completely different rear end just like before any other evo's. Only the US got those mix cars without AYC rear end.
The X RS brakes are the regular lancer GTS ones before the older evos. They might got an extra set up for the new platform but i doubt it, either way it would be a garbige for racing, even for light racing. Unless its drag racing ... LOL.
To fit 15's to the X GSR is a *****. We worked on it 1 year when finally find a solution. Unless you will get the grupe N brakes for gravel around $8k . The "cheap" and also good way is still not that cheap. We got the AMS - WIlwood front kit and we have a Frankenstein set up in making for a rear. Makes it even harder the old evos brakes are not fit on the new chasiss , unlike before.

So its a whole mess , but if you need a set up we can do it for you or you go to Buffom who build L'astage car. But that will cost you a lot.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 22, 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Ice racing doesn't require much of the braking system IMO. Almost every STi downgrades to a lower-end Impreza brakes in order to run smaller tires. That said, 16 maybe fine as there are some very good 10/65-16 ice tires out there. Looks like I'm going to be stuck on 18s again this season though. Once the car gets a little older I might start thinking more seriously about dirt rallying and a good 15" wheelset / brakes.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ice racing doesn't require much of the braking system IMO. Almost every STi downgrades to a lower-end Impreza brakes in order to run smaller tires. That said, 16 maybe fine as there are some very good 10/65-16 ice tires out there. Looks like I'm going to be stuck on 18s again this season though. Once the car gets a little older I might start thinking more seriously about dirt rallying and a good 15" wheelset / brakes.
iIm not sure your stock rears will clear the 16 inch rims. They are almost as big as the front CT9A's. We put the 9 rims on it and barely made it and as you know that is 17 inch. But i hopw it will !

I used to travel on brakes in snow racing gives me better confidence and control. But a same time it is a cold eviroment so the break hardly get burned. Also that way i kepp my pads hot so they grip more better or predictalbe for me. But you right you do not need that strong clamp in ice.
In the other hand the 15's would be great since you can get a sameller profile tires with higher wall, and 15's are cheaper. Dont forget the 18's you cant ride even 50 high tires. You need at last 55 or 60 hight and for race i would run around 205 or 195 's with or withut studs. Depends on the rules of the race.
The 15's wheel dont need super strong brakes we do also cheapos on the rear. and wilwood /also cheap for the front. Only thing we need to modify to the rear to accept the new calippers. SO the brakets are in a making. After that is an easy swap from the brembos /for tarmac/ to the gravel snow dirt set up.

More info is in pm if you interested. Also would be HUGHE if you could disable the ABS on snow and ice. That is also we can help.

Good luck for a season and enjoy the winter

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 22, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Evo X rear brakes will work on a Ralliart with little modification. I would imagine I could put Ralliart rear brakes on an X the same way.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

^ How about the fronts?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
Evo X rear brakes will work on a Ralliart with little modification. I would imagine I could put Ralliart rear brakes on an X the same way.
We find an easier- cheaper modification for the rear.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ How about the fronts?
the cheapest - best solution is the AMS wilwood front kit . You believe it or not.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

This is a great thread with a lot of good information. I'm planning on going with a gravel/snow tire setup like this. Once I have the Wilwood front setup and get the rears sorted out, will I lose ABS? Also, any suggestions on what wheel to go with?

Robevo RS, you have a pm