Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Nankang NS-II -- honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3K dollar wheels and 400 dollar tires. Something is not adding up here. I understand not everyone needs or wants extreme performance tires if your just going to DD, but my opinion is that tires (along with brakes) are of the utmost importance and should not be short-changed.

you only have 4 points of contact with the road keeping your car shiny side up, why buy a crap tire just to save some money? There some good advice in here about other brands, id take a look into them.

and the big tymers quote, classic. I was just listening to that song and that got a good laugh. haha
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

lol @ sean and the big tymers.

I'm just getting opinions.. haters gonna hate I guess. How should I know that they are crap tires just because they are cheaper then other brands? Price does not dictate quality folks, just saying.

@boostedtres: I think the same way and value good tires.. I was just asking if these nankangs WERE good tires. If I can save a little money and still get a decent tire that matches my needs.. why not ya know?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
haters gonna hate I guess
Nobody is hating.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@boostedtres: I think the same way and value good tires.. I was just asking if these nankangs WERE good tires. If I can save a little money and still get a decent tire that matches my needs.. why not ya know?
No offense but there's a lot of proof that Rota are completely good wheels... Why didn't you opt for those then to go with your Nankangs? Actually I think that Rota's are a much better product compared to Volks than Nankangs are to ANY decent tire.

In case you're being honest here and you're really looking for solutions, I recommend you to look at Hankook Ventus V12. There's so much information about the tire on this forum AND it's cheap compared to tires that can compare with it...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:55 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How should I know that they are crap tires just because they are cheaper then other brands?
Google. That's what I did, when a similar post surfaced on the (IX) suspension forum.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks everybody for your input, it's exactly what I wanted.

I think I've decided to go with the hankooks, seems that the consensus is that the nankangs are **** and the hankooks are THE ****.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Good choice
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Nanking? WTF? The V12 Evo isn't going to give you much grip and super soft sidewalls but it should be fine as a daily driver tire. I'd say the Sumitomo HTR3 are much better but more pricey and still not a very grippy tire.

Geez guys, these are all bottom of the barrel tires. The Evo is a performance car, get some performance tires. Tires are the #1 most important upgrade for the car's handling.

Every time I see some high dollar wheels at some car show, the guy has some cheapo tires on there. All show and no go for sure.

Last edited by ZK; Jan 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:59 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
The V12 Evo isn't going to give you much grip and super soft sidewalls but it should be fine as a daily driver tire.
I run these. They do OK.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ZK
Nanking? WTF? The V12 Evo isn't going to give you much grip and super soft sidewalls but it should be fine as a daily driver tire. I'd say the Sumitomo HTR3 are much better but more pricey and still not a very grippy tire.
Sure about that?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...fa4477cd02.pdf

For what its worth, the Hankook Evo v12 will be my next tire on the Mustang (replacing the PZeros).
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure how this guy gets off calling the Hankook and Sumitomo bottom of the barrel tires, they are both extremely good tires in their class with Tirerack and Car & Driver tests to back them up. Are they race tires? No, but they make for great daily-driver street tires.

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:54 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Not sure how this guy gets off calling the Hankook and Sumitomo bottom of the barrel tires, they are both extremely good tires in their class with Tirerack and Car & Driver tests to back them up. Are they race tires? No, but they make for great daily-driver street tires.
These tires belong in the "cheap budget performance" tire category - that is all. They are cheap for a reason - they cut costs and it shows. There is the difference between "good enough" and "good". These are definitely the former and usable on the street.

I did say they are okay for daily driver street tires. As for performance - they are lacking in grip. Tire Rack and Car and Driver tests are only good to measure your street driving ability. Read the review and it says these things are mushy, imprecise and no feedback. With "above average" performance. Is that what you want for a performance tire?

Shooting for lap times and actual outright grip, these things do not match up. They also turn into total mush and melt at track temps.

The OP is putting these on some $3K PERFORMANCE rim set... If he had some 20 inch chrome dubs then yeah, who cares about performance. As I mentioned before, whenever I see this kind of set up on a show car, it is pretty obvious the car really just show, no go. A performance enthusiast would know to spend more on the tires and appreciate the difference. I can feel the difference in car control and my lap times show it when I run a good tire. That is why my tires cost more than the rims they are on.

Last edited by ZK; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:53 PM

+1 on the Hankook v12
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:55 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
Shooting for lap times and actual outright grip, these things do not match up. They also turn into total mush and melt at track temps.
My set seemed to have stayed intact after the national tour events we ran last year. <grin>
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
So you bought Volks and now you're searching for budget tires, is that it?
So what you are saying is.... Ok alright.

Quick Reply: Nankang NS-II -- honest opinions