Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

NT03+M 18x10.5 rubbing strut

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NT03+M 18x10.5 rubbing strut

I just put on NT03's +30 offset with dunlop direzza star specs 275/35/18 and the passenger side inner tire bead is rubbing a lot on the shock body of my KW Clubsports from Robispec. When I drive it basically melts the tire bead and I can smell burning rubber. It does not touch the rim though. The front camber is set to 2.5 degrees. The drivers side inner bead has about 1mm clearance from the shock body. I had black powdercoated GSR rims on it prior without any issue.

Does anyone have this problem? I know the stock shock clears it by 3 mm from a past post.

I was going to get spacers, not sure how thick though. I am likely getting extended studs as well so the stud length isn't an issue. I attached a pic of the front fender gap, how many mm out do you guys think I can go without having fender rub. I drive on the track w/ HPDE events a bunch.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails NT03+M 18x10.5 rubbing strut-fender.jpg   NT03+M 18x10.5 rubbing strut-frontwheel.jpg  
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

I remember reading you need a spacer to run nt03m's, which size idk my guess would be at least 10mm
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:09 PM

any good brands of spacers? H&R? anything else out there?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Project Kics and Ichiba is what others typically run..
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:49 AM

I had the same situation. I used 5mm h&r spacers and its fine. I dunno how it works on coilovers but ur camber bolt position may be different from driver side vs passenger which means one side cld be angled more toward the strut than the othrr. After i went to 285/35/18 rs3 i was rubbing a bit on fender liner so i switched to 3mm kics spacer. Hope that helps. I do hpde with no probs. H&r came with ext studs but i didnt install them cuz 5mm aint all that much. Up to u tho
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:56 AM

i'm on some nt03s with 275 azenis. i don't rub at all unless i make wide turns
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks monkeywinky I think it's the larger kw shock body and the camber as well. I have caster/camber plates so it's def cambered out significantly. I'll try 5 mm. I called h&r they said they only have a 15 mm for the evo x hubcentric spacer. Do you have the part number? I'm sure the guy was just really not that knowledgeable. Any other brands of hub centric spacers? Ichiba's line is dead, not sure if I feel comfortable ordering spacers from a company that can't pay their phone bill.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5mm spacers with APR long studs.

enjoy!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by farmeryean
Thanks monkeywinky I think it's the larger kw shock body and the camber as well. I have caster/camber plates so it's def cambered out significantly. I'll try 5 mm. I called h&r they said they only have a 15 mm for the evo x hubcentric spacer. Do you have the part number? I'm sure the guy was just really not that knowledgeable. Any other brands of hub centric spacers? Ichiba's line is dead, not sure if I feel comfortable ordering spacers from a company that can't pay their phone bill.
A friend of mine told me companies don't make a spacers that are hubcentric under 10mm, but don't take my word for it.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:49 AM

I'm 90% sure I threw away the boxes already, but I'll check if the spacers themselves have pn's on them.

Like i said, i don't have coilovers so i don't know how this works exactly, but on the stock suspension, flipping the camber bolt changes the relative angle of wheel to strut body - which in my case, caused some rubbing. If you can change it on the coilover so the wheel is more parallel to your coilover, changing camber with your camber plates shouldn't have any effect on rubbing other than against the fender/fender liner.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah i think the offset on those are too high especially with the 275's... Run a Project Kics 10mm and you should be fine.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by monkeywinky
...on the stock suspension, flipping the camber bolt changes the relative angle of wheel to strut body - which in my case, caused some rubbing. If you can change it on the coilover so the wheel is more parallel to your coilover, changing camber with your camber plates shouldn't have any effect on rubbing other than against the fender/fender liner.
^^This is def worth checking before going to spacers. See if the upper bolt on the lower mount of the coilover has the arrow facing in - that's the way you would want it. If not, take it out and flip it 180 degrees. That will lessen the camber, but you can add from the top with your camber plates.

On a side note, where did you get black NT03+M in that size? Or did you paint/powdercoat some silver ones?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Here you go...just found these while looking at wheels.
http://www.more-japan.com/fic-10mm-w...t-pattern.html

10mm and hub centric.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Ichiban makes them with extended studs "slip on" for about $100. Touge Factory carries them.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys. I found a guy Fred at wheelspacer.com. Based out of california. He makes custom made spacers to match the wheel bore and the rim center bore. I got 8 mm. He can do any thickness. Pretty sweet.

Robi from robispec had them powdered for me. Look awesome. I'll post pics once I get the spacers on. The stance looks wicked. Robi does magical stuff with suspension. He is just hard to get a hold of.

Quick Reply: NT03+M 18x10.5 rubbing strut