Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock Advans-Realistic Snow Driving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Advans-Realistic Snow Driving

Just got my Evo a couple months ago. I live in Philly so we do get snowstorms but not constant large amounts like New England. I live just outside of the city so our roads do get icy but the road crews around here are pretty good at keeping it down to just a dusting or an inch with tracks. I dont really have an extra 1K to throw down on a new set of winter snow tires because buying the evo drained my funds and to be honest our roads are cleared fairly quick. I have the GSR so its manny and I've been used to driving my old Prelude with aftermarket rims which was horrible in the snow!

so my question is;
Could I get away with the summer advans if I'm just trying to get home on main roads from work at the start of a snowstorm. Realistically if you know how to drive in the snow (light to moderate), are the advans manageable or out of control bad?

Last edited by esquire7; Oct 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Really really really bad IMO and I'm not a snow tire pusher.

If there's anyway you can get a dirt cheap of OEM take-off wheels from someone on here with any all-season or winter tire, do it.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Yea its an awful idea. You can either pay ~$600'ish now for winter tires, or drive scared in the winter and crash into something someone, which WILL happen and then pay a lot more money at which point you still wouldn't have winter tires.

You really should have budgeted winter tires into the car.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Really really really bad IMO and I'm not a snow tire pusher.

If there's anyway you can get a dirt cheap of OEM take-off wheels from someone on here with any all-season or winter tire, do it.
+1 this. This is not the car to own if you are broke. VERY Expensive maintenance . Not trying to be rude or anything, it just gets really expensive to own an Evo.

The stockers will be HORRIBLE. Look on the for sale forum here and try to find some decent snow tires.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:44 AM

from what I've read searchin around here is that they really do suck. I do have the money if I absolutely need to buy snow tires but I was seeing if maybe I could get through a winter with only driving in emergency situations, otherwise not driving at all in snow and just waiting them out. Thats kind of wasting the whole point of having an EVO however by not driving in the snow
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:46 AM

I'm not broke...I just wanted to see if it was possible...If I was broke I wouldn't of bought this car..I should of said I didnt want to 100% spend the money not that I didnt have it. This question wasn't really about money at all, just after spending 40K I really dont feel like shelling out more cash if it was possible to actually drive on the advans...which it seems like nobody can, even good drivers.
thnx
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by esquire7
I dont really have an extra 1K to throw down on a new set of winter snow tires because buying the evo drained my funds
Yea its cool. That is just kinda what I got from this statement.

I didn't really want it to come across like I was talking down to you or anything, though. It would def be a very smart investment to buy some good tires.

Last edited by ugakirk; Oct 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:55 AM

no no...I wrote it in that context so I get your answer...I was just thinking that the advans could be massaged into working on say an inch or dusting if absolutely necessary. To be honest I'll probably just get the snow tires for this winter and then in the spring get a new set of rims to put the advans on and then put the winters on my stock enkei's...that way I can just swap each winter and the snow tires will last me a couple winters. Seems like based on how bad the advans are this is the way to go to have the most fun and be the safest. I totally agree with paying for the tires instead of paying for the insurance when I wreck it. I appreciate all you opinions!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

from what I've read searchin around here is that they really do suck. I do have the money if I absolutely need to buy snow tires but I was seeing if maybe I could get through a winter with only driving in emergency situations, otherwise not driving at all in snow and just waiting them out. Thats kind of wasting the whole point of having an EVO however by not driving in the snow
When the weather even gets below 40 outside the Advan's start to lose a ton of their grip. It's designed as a pure summer performance tire. That being said...

I've driven on stock Advan's in light snow like under 2" and barely made it out of my parking lot without a collision. Under 5mph slight turn of the wheel with no response...car stopped just shy of nailing a curb. Don't chance it. The body work and possibility of serious damage to the car and or yourself/others far outweights the damage to the wallet of investing $600 in a set of winter tires.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:59 AM

just the image of you turning the wheel and nothing happening makes me nervous!
OK..I get your drift (no pun intended)...um so yea I'll get the tires! (I knew that was going to be the answer..I was just hoping it wouldn't be..haha)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:00 PM

based on a bunch of other (searched) threads, seems like the blizzaks are the way to go?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:07 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just the image of you turning the wheel and nothing happening makes me nervous!
Sorry, have you ever driven in snow and ice?

based on a bunch of other (searched) threads, seems like the blizzaks are the way to go?
Any winter tire will be fine. Really doesn't matter which; we're not discussing a high-performance application. Really, an all-season that's geared for light snow would be fine, too, given your needs.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

I live in GA, so I never look in to them, but it seems that Blizzaks are what everyone on EvoM goes with. I've only heard raves about how wonderful they are.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At the very least you should buy a set of cheap all-seasons, snows would be best though.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
Sorry, have you ever driven in snow and ice?

I was eluding to the fact that he said at 5mph's he got no wheel response which implies the advans suck REALLY bad and for having that much trouble at such a slow speed makes me nervous about even trying to snow drive on these tires.

I hope you weren't being sarcastic

moving on
the most common ones I see people raving about are the bridgestone blizzaks, dunlops or michelins. guess I'll start reading reviews

Quick Reply: Stock Advans-Realistic Snow Driving