Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best autocross coilover

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best autocross coilover

So I've been researching various suspension options and am currently running the stock bilsteins with a swift spec-r spring. I have looked at various threads that talk about coilover reviews, but autocrossing has some specific demands and I was wondering if anyone has a setup they like and if so what specifically is notable about it.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to narrow down your question further just to weed out options that may not be what your looking for.

With most of the Auto cross guys I run into comfort and ride height control are two considerations that can weigh into this forumla going beyond auto cross. What I mean to say is, will this be used for both AutoX and daily driving. Or are you looking for the best kit to put down the best times, comfort and daily driver factors be damned?

If you need an option that factors in daily driving then I would recommend HSD coilovers since they are design for the weekend warrior and the comfortable drive home. In the hands of someone who know how to properly adjust them, they perform very well. But its one of few coilovers I have ever driven on that actually feel right at home on the streets of Toronto. (terrible roads!)

For something a bit more dedicated I would consider the KW V3. For someone who wishes to tweak the suspension further to refine their lap times across different surfaced auto cross events.

my 2 cents.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're serious about autocrossing, just look at the results. AST, Ohlins, and Motons.

I have Ohlins because I feel that they are of great quality and are a fantastic compromise between street and autox. The valving also allows you to run a higher spring rate and still have a smooth feel.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info guys and you mentioned a few brands I hadn't heard of and will need to research into it a little more (hsd, ast and motons). I do dd my car, but like 4 miles a day so comfort needs are limited. There is a guy that runs the ohins on his STU IX and he's happy with them and they are something I was considering. I was also looking into AMR coilovers since they are located near me and I can get rebuilds done locally, but haven't heard much about their autox performance. I have a month or two to save up though so that'll give me plenty of time to look into the fine grained differences of offerings.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I've never heard of HSD or anyone winning a National Championship on them.

But if you haven't heard of AST or Motons, you haven't been racing with the right people or long enough

Last edited by 4B11AWD; Jul 2, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4B11AWD

But if you haven't heard of AST or Motons, you haven't been racing with the right people or long enough
AST and Motons will win races proper

HSD has carved a pretty good name for itself on the other side of the world, But no one follows the nationals in other countries so its understandable that no one has hard of them. I will have to do some digging, but I know in New Zealand and Australia there are some pretty large championships won and in Korea, their home market.

Dodson would probably be the best to ask about HSD's capabilities since they throw it in a lot of their race vehicles.

Last edited by evo_soul; Jul 2, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep trying to push those HSDs. Not going to work.

Originally Posted by evo_soul
AST and Motons will win races proper

HSD has carved a pretty good name for itself on the other side of the world, But no one follows the nationals in other countries so its understandable that no one has hard of them. I will have to do some digging, but I know in New Zealand and Australia there are some pretty large championships won and in Korea, their home market.

Dodson would probably be the best to ask about HSD's capabilities since they throw it in a lot of their race vehicles.
Originally Posted by 4B11AWD

This.

Research: AST, Moton, Ohlins, KW3.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

damn was trying to get in before smike. if you havent heard of kw motons etc then you probably already have a great set up in the bilstein and swift springs. great set up and proven performer. if your doing to do the coils, do it right the first time, however to get it properly set up with the right spring rates all of the above options are well over 3k, so just take that into consideration.

gl and search search search (use google and filter by EvoM bc the search function is so so)
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by boostedtres
damn was trying to get in before smike.
lol Gotta move faster...

Originally Posted by Smike
Keep trying to push those HSDs. Not going to work.
Its not really a push, just testing as I go. There is a suspension out there, good, bad and a large mush in between. I have tested a number of coilover setups in the past 12 months for the EVO X, Ralliart, and getting more seat time for the EVO 8 and I think the coilover performs well. There are other coilovers how ever that are established a good reputation. A good example would be KW...the expectations of performance were high and when tested they exceeded them. That is based on my own feedback driving the EVO X. Again my opinion based on my own testing. Next on my list of testing is the Tein Mono Flex Winding Master coilovers.

Last edited by evo_soul; Jul 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Penske

/thread
Old Aug 1, 2012, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

ohlins
Old Aug 3, 2012, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

how about robispec KWs?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 04:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Stance ProComps !!! The new valving on these shocks will compete with ANY other C/O manufacturer. For their price point, they are hands down the best bang for your buck. Pete

Last edited by M.P.G.; Aug 3, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by M.P.G.
Stance ProComps !!! The new valving on these shocks will compete with ANY other C/O manufacturer.
Got any dyno plots to back this up? I prefer footballs to averaged force-velocity, if you have them both and will only post one.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Got any dyno plots to back this up? I prefer footballs to averaged force-velocity, if you have them both and will only post one.
<3

Quick Reply: Best autocross coilover