Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need help!!! Bent struts??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help!!! Bent struts??

Whats up all my evo owners.... okay I need some help or advice here. Recently I went to the dealership to get an all wheel alignment. Everything was going well until the service manager came and told me there was a problem.... apperently the mechanic had over torqued 1 of the bolts on the rim and sheared it off... but some how got it stuck in the rim. I don't know how did this and they said it would take a little time to get it out. so I decided to wait. after about 11/2 hrs of waiting they said that they were gonna give me a loaner because it was going to take a little while. So I took the loaner with a promise it will be ready today(monday). Now all off sudden I call them back and they say my struts are bent because they cant even align the front tires...Okay back track about a week earlier. I had ran over a picece of tire rubber that ran up the center of my car. I jacked it up and noticed that the splash guard had been broken off a little. They are saying thats what probably bent my struts. So my question is... Are they talking alot of bull or what?? sorry for it being so long. thanks for any advice too.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is possible, but extremely unlikely.

First, it's a rally car. It can handle a bump or two.

Second, you wrote "struts" (plural). The odds of some event bending both at the same time is near nil.

Third, they have already proved themselves incompetent.

Fourth, you would have noticed it while driving between the time of hitting the object and getting to the dealer.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
It is possible, but extremely unlikely.

First, it's a rally car. It can handle a bump or two.

Second, you wrote "struts" (plural). The odds of some event bending both at the same time is near nil.

Third, they have already proved themselves incompetent.

Fourth, you would have noticed it while driving between the time of hitting the object and getting to the dealer.
Exactly what i was thinking... I didnt have any problems driving after it happend. No vibration or shaking. they told me both were bent and I asked them why wouldnt there be any shaking or something noticeable if they were bent he told me I wouldn't notice anything. They told me to see if my insurance would cover it. Is there any way to see with the eye if they are bent? I appreciate all the help...
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You gave them the out with the story on the rubber--really? let me say this, if you bent the struts there would be a whole lot of other "bent" pieces under that car attached to the struts. Go over there and ask them to put the car up on the rack and show you the bent struts, look at the struts and look for leaks, damage ect...no leaks or damage, then they arent bent. If the strut was bent it would leak. BS all the way-- stop being so forth coming with info for these guys, its costing you, and giving them an out for their ineptness.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
You gave them the out with the story on the rubber--really? let me say this, if you bent the struts there would be a whole lot of other "bent" pieces under that car attached to the struts. Go over there and ask them to put the car up on the rack and show you the bent struts, look at the struts and look for leaks, damage ect...no leaks or damage, then they arent bent. If the strut was bent it would leak. BS all the way-- stop being so forth coming with info for these guys, its costing you, and giving them an out for their ineptness.
Thanks.. I'm going over there today after work to turn in the loaner POS that they let me use for the weekend. If its of the rack I'm gonna tell them to lift it back up so I can see. When I went back there on saturday to get some things out of my car the mechanic was ratcheting something out of the inside of the left front tire. I think they did something and they are trying to cover it up
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:26 PM

So I went to the dealer and they had my car on the alignment machine and they showed me why they said my struts were bent. Apperantly they can adjust my camber and align the wheels anymore because of this. My tires are wearing on the inside of all 4 tires. Does this sound right? I didnt see any leaks or anything. Would bent struts cause my tires in front to not align??
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^No. What part of the alignment could they not get into spec?? The front camber settings are minimally adjustable. It's pretty much either -1.0 or -2.0. The toe has nothing to do with the struts, they should be able to get that within spec as well. Were they able to get the rears in spec?? If I were you, I'd get the car back, recoup any costs they charged you (since they jacked up your wheel stud), and take it to a performance shop that does alignments. There are too many shops out there that have no clue how to align a car. It's a very precise job and very few take the time to do it right.

Also, are you on stock tires?? Not sure if you are aware, but they wear very quickly. Don't be surprised if you only get 10k miles out of them. They really show abnormal wear when you drive them hard.

Last edited by black95tt; Jul 31, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Odds are, the idiots tried to rotate the upper bolt on the front knuckle (while it was still installed) and broke something.

Add in the fact that the wear is due to the toe (with the wear simply being focused on a smaller area from the camber) and their record for incompetence is nearly perfect.