Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help installing Cusco rear underbody brace

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help installing Cusco rear underbody brace

After some back and forward with my rear cusco braces.
Tomorrow i will install them. Because these particular braces go were the rear camber bolt of the car goes, I'm kind of afraid of change the camber settings.
Do you guys think that keeping the bolt and washer in the same position and taking out just the nut ,installing then the bar, and putting the nut back, againg without change the bolt position, I'm going to keep the camber settings fine?
Any tips? Please?

Pd: these bars are designed for the japan version of the evo 10. If you are going to buy them be aware that you will need to get rid of you rear tow hook or modify it, and cut the driver side bar 1 inch in order to make the fit. I spoke with someone in cusco US. Yes, they know of the issue. Passenger bar fits perfect. No mods need it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Gosh, 60 views, anybody?
For the rear camber bolt in our car, if i hold the bolt in the same position with a socket wrench, take the nut out and put it back. Does this will affect my camber settings?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:17 PM

I don't think most people have done this mod, very curious though of how it feels and if they would work on a lowered car
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest, what are you expectations from this mod?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:25 PM

From my little bit of experience. I would say you wouldn't be seeing a lot of change in the camber because you would be taking the nut off, not turning the bolt. However after doing a few alignments I've seen that the slightest touch or knock will adjust the camber/ toe whatever it may be. Due in part because you are dealing with degrees. Do the mod. then get someone to check your alignment. hope that helps some.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

had the braces installed.
man, these cars are picky. i had the guy in the shop take the nut out in front of me. no turning the bolt at all. installed the brace, put the nut back.
car pulls to the left now a little bit, almost nothing, but comming from a perfect aligment a month ago, i can tell.
now i have to blow another 70 bucks in aligment.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

this mod is part of the whole cusco underbrace system. i have been buying the parts one by one for 4 years now. and i can tell the makes a whole diference in the car. some parts more than others. i also had the ams seatbelt bar that conect and makes more rigid the whole chasis, a rear strut bar from cusco, upgraded rear sway bar, etc. i love how the car turns now.
soon i will need to upgrade the seats, the whole car is working so rigid that is making my boddy roll a lot. i need more support on the sides.

thanks for the inputs.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only way for these braces to cause an increase in body-roll is for them to add so much grip that you're now taking the same corners at higher speeds.

I have no clue what you mean by needing "more support on the sides" to combat body-roll. You reduce body-roll via an increase in roll stiffness (i.e., more spring and/or bars), lowering the CG, or by changing the suspension geometry. Chassis stiffness won't do anything.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should have gotten the lifetime alignment from Firestone and you won't have to worry about alignments again (as long as you have to car).
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The only way for these braces to cause an increase in body-roll is for them to add so much grip that you're now taking the same corners at higher speeds.

I have no clue what you mean by needing "more support on the sides" to combat body-roll. You reduce body-roll via an increase in roll stiffness (i.e., more spring and/or bars), lowering the CG, or by changing the suspension geometry. Chassis stiffness won't do anything.

I think he's talking about his body in the car seat is moving too much so now he needs a full on bucket seat.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah, that makes more sense. Heck, I need better seats right now.

As to the Lifetime Alignments offered by places like Firestone ... that is so hit-and-miss that I would not suggest it to anyone who is serious. Find a smaller, private shop that will let you be there with them as they do the work. For example, how many places like Firestone know to start the engine and do a final left/right swing before declaring the front toe to be set?